LegacyGT.com

So THAT'S why people lose the DRL's

Driving around 1:30 am for a late-night snack at Jack-in-the-Box when I see a cop behind me. Naturally I look down, notice that I'm not speeding nor have I been, but that cop looks really suspicious. Sure enough lights go on and I pull over. Comes up to the car: "your rear lights aren't working, have you been drinking tonight?" Crap, I look down and realize that I forgot to turn my lights on! The cop kept asking me if I was drunk and even shined the light in my eyes to check my pupils etc, but let me go in the end.

Anyway, I never understood why people don't like the DRL's, I mean, they don't hurt anything, right? But for me, when I get in my car at night and the DRL's are on, I don't think about turning my lights on because I CAN SEE JUST FINE! Unfortunately the rear lights don't get turned on automatically at night. Anyway, think I'm going to get rid of those bastards today, just thought I'd share.

-Weston

Yup. That is exactly the reason. They are also nice to remove if you install HIDs. I didn't realize that the tail lights didn't come on too until I read that on this site. The disable is a piece of cake. Block out about 10 minutes for it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yup. That is exactly the reason. They are also nice to remove if you install HIDs. I didn't realize that the tail lights didn't come on too until I read that on this site. The disable is a piece of cake. Block out about 10 minutes for it.

Maybe longer depending on how flexible you are... :D

Wait till some dumd ass pull out in front of you and you can't stop (poor tire and brakes) you will wish you had more lights on than off. remember red lights on inside.no red lights out side.

If someone pulls out in front of me and I can't stop then I highly doubt that having headlights on is going to save me. As far as your tires and brakes comment, if you don't like the tires and brakes that came on the car then you can change them.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Some of the newer DRLs have a light sensor on the dash to know and warn the driver to turn on the headlights. But yea, it's one more reason that a cop will pull you over if you dont turn on your headlights completely (it happens to a lot of the ricer guys that dont know better about their cars).

Keefe

Keefe

...or, you can just leave the headlight switch turned on ALL the time. The lights go off when you turn off the car. If you have your light switch ON during the day and don't find your instruments bright enough, hit that little button that looks like a snowflake next to your clock. Your instrument lights will be full power daytime mode.

It's all in your owner's manual.

...or, you can just leave the headlight switch turned on ALL the time. The lights go off when you turn off the car. If you have your light switch ON during the day and don't find your instruments bright enough, hit that little button that looks like a snowflake next to your clock. Your instrument lights will be full power daytime mode.

It's all in your owner's manual.

that's exactly what I do....

There's plenty of threads on disabling the DRLs. It's just very unfortunate that the lighting system is biased to keeping the lighting on for the front of the car but not the rear.. that's the kind of half-donkey engineering that I dont like when "safety" engineers come up with DRLs and the such. Some people just dont think things through while other peoples just dont think.. I just hope someone can think through completely for the less unfortunate operators.

Keefe

Keefe

uh, didn't you find the instrument panel to be rather bright???

That's why I never forget to turn on my headlights...

I guess having a brighter display doesn't remind me to turn my lights on like not being able to see the road... I mean, usually I remember, but that one time I don't there's a cop behind me!

What would cause my DRL's not to work? I have not disabled or tried to disable them. I notice they don't work when the bulbs go out but after replacing the bulbs I notice once in a while my DRL's are not on. I even tried shutting off my car and turning it back on to see if they would turn on but they didn't.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

What would cause my DRL's not to work? I have not disabled or tried to disable them. I notice they don't work when the bulbs go out but after replacing the bulbs I notice once in a while my DRL's are not on. I even tried shutting off my car and turning it back on to see if they would turn on but they didn't.

The parking break will turn of the DRLs. Was the leaver up or down?

When the parking brake is engaged, the DRL's shut off. Could this be why?

uh, didn't you find the instrument panel to be rather bright???

That's why I never forget to turn on my headlights...

I always use my parking break- so the lights don't come on until you release it- when that happens it works like a 'duh' switch and I rememer :)

The Legacy's don't have an Auto setting with a light sensor? Even Chevys and Toyotas have them. How do they expect to compete BMW and Lexus? That's really 1990s. Sheesh. I hope they are working on these missing items.

- SuperSubie

It always annoys me that DRLs are so highly touted as safety features, when I see a couple of cars every few months that have no marker lights on, and just driving around with DRLs burning. I have had to follow a few in the midwestern wilderness, out on dark highways. not the greatest.

I figure it this way:

If these cars are so darned smart to have there headlights on for safety, and off with the parking brake, or the ignition kill, and what not...

WHY are they not smart enough to turn the rest of the lights on when it is dark? SuperSubie and others have mentioned it. Other cars, even my parent's I6 non-lux jeep grand cherokee has auto headlights. This isn't challenging to accomplish.

When my car gets smart enough to start thinking for itself, and deciding when to turn the headlights on, it had better be smart enough to manage the lighting correctly, or just leave it's hands off, and let me handle it.

That is exactly why I will be disabling DRLs on any of my vehicles in the future, except my motorcycle, because it has all it's lights on, all the time; which is also more reason that cars shouldn't be making motorcycles and school busses blend in all that much more.

[/rant] sorry...

I have 3 cars; one with DRLs and automatic headlights on; one without DRLS; and one with DRLs and no auto-headlights on.

I've forgotten to turn the lights on several times now, on the Subaru. So, now I know, leave the lights on and push the little button. But what if I'd caused an accident in the three weeks it took me to figure out to do that? ANd what about the other few hundred thousand Subaru owners?

Not a good design. I'm popping the module and using the headlights manually. IMO, it's safer to run without DRLs forever than it is to run at night without taillights for even 5 minutes.

Tom

Tom

FRA-GEE-LAY... It must be Italian!

I think the new Hondas are the worse as far as headlights are concerned.

Hondas don't have DRL's . However, because of the new electroluminescent gauges they have, I find that TONS of Honda drivers do not turn their headlights on until well after dusk. Pay attention at sundown and count the number of idiots who don't have their lights on and happen to be driving newer Hondas (Accords in particular).

Archived