LegacyGT.com

So THAT'S why people lose the DRL's

I can't count high enough to number all the idiots I see driving around with just their park lights on and no headlights. How much more of an effort is it to turn that little knob an extra click? There is little worse than a black SUV driving around at 7:00 in the evening with park lights on. I guess its kind of like reverse DRLs, eh? The tails are on and the headlights are off. lol

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

...or, you can just leave the headlight switch turned on ALL the time. The lights go off when you turn off the car. If you have your light switch ON during the day and don't find your instruments bright enough, hit that little button that looks like a snowflake next to your clock. Your instrument lights will be full power daytime mode.

It's all in your owner's manual.

That was one of the first things my dealer told me when I picked the car up. I turned them one then and don't think I've touched the switch since...who needs automatic lights when it's simpler to just leave them on all the time making the car "brighter" all the time in all directions? Remember the lights turn off with the ignition, so it's not as if you have to worry about draining the battery.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

I have done this plenty of times myself. The bright display is a good hint that you forgot to turn on your lights as well as dim head lights, but if you are in an area with lots of street lights then they dont tip you off.

Here are the choices that some manufacturers have been putting on their switches:

- Off

- Park

- On

- Auto

On a separate switch, they have a DRL Off setting and you can still use Auto should you not want to deal with remembering.

Seems like a good way to go for a manufacturer and you avoid the debates while giving people the option. Additionally, you still get the insurance discount. Toyotas, MBs, and BMW (via dealer MODIC) have this.

As for the effectiveness of DRLs... can't hurt unless you don't remember to turn on your lights at night. The above addresses that. C'mon Subaru, great AWD car and desire to play in the entry-luxury class, but match your competition in features. This can be said of other features besides DRL handling such as: memory seating/mirrors/HVAC, delayed power off ACC mode for windows, all Auto Windows Up/Down, etc. Did I miss any other features that are clearly omitted?

- SuperSubie

Also, there is a little green light indicator on the dash that lights up when the headlights are on. Between that and the VERY bright dash display at night if the headlights are not on, I haven't had an issue with the DRL's and forgetting to turn on my headlights at night myself.

I've done the same thing. I drove 110 miles one evening with only my DRL on. This includes about 25 miles on I-95 as well! I'm OK with DRL, but I think it should be configurable w/o a hack. At the very least, there should be an automatic sensor or a warning light or something. They can keep the little parking lite thingy on the top of the steering column and install a sensor instead. I'll disable when the time comes to upgrade my headlights.

Rimfaxe

Also, there is a little green light indicator on the dash that lights up when the headlights are on. Between that and the VERY bright dash display at night if the headlights are not on, I haven't had an issue with the DRL's and forgetting to turn on my headlights at night myself.

Yeah, but I'm a dumb old guy, and I have. It would be a problem for you if you didn't see me. All it takes is one. I'm reasonably savvy, having worked in the business for 20 years. How about all the drivers who are in their 60s and 70s, and who aren't savvy?

Tom

FRA-GEE-LAY... It must be Italian!

Yeah, but I'm a dumb old guy, and I have. It would be a problem for you if you didn't see me. All it takes is one. I'm reasonably savvy, having worked in the business for 20 years. How about all the drivers who are in their 60s and 70s, and who aren't savvy?

Tom

Then it's time for the blue-hairs to have thier licence's revoked?:D

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

Archived