LegacyGT.com

Auto trans. problems. Shift timing off

nickb98c

Driving home today I noticed that my transmission seemed to be having timing issues. Especially is I stepped on the throttle. It seems to not want to shift until it gets into high rpms. Ill go take it out for a drive so I can give exact rpms when it shifts. It also seemed to pause as it was overreving, and then would shift. Any help?

Sounds like slipping to me. Does the transmission disengage the gear and then just free-revs up before grabbing the next gear? If that's the case, all other things being equal, sounds to me like the clutchpacks are toast and I am affraid you may be looking at having to replace the transmission. Does it do this in all gears, or just some?

I notice the same thing now and then. I'm no expert on the trans computer or the 5EAT, but I believe it may take into account how swiftly you press the gas. Instead of easing into the throttle, even if you go 1/2 or 3/4 throttle, it seems to hold the gears longer, namely 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, if you step quickly to 1/2 or 3/4 throttle and hold it there. Just my observations....maybe my trans is just blown up...lol, but it doesn't seem to be slipping at all to me. :rolleyes: It just gives you more "go fast"...lol

^That's normal behavior and I did not address it because I assumed it was common knowledge. That is how ALL automatic transmissions function, and have been for a long time now.

Like I said, Im no transmission expert. Just providing a potential explination to the OP's "probelm." :rolleyes: And you should have diven my old neon...lol...throttle appication had no affect on actual acceleration..:lol:

Archived