LegacyGT.com

exhaust/muffler custom set-up

Looking at getting at least a performance muffler for my 98 gt limited (the age before the nice dual exhaust was standard on the legacy, and how i wish i had one from a newer year!!) Hoping to get some feedback about what other owners have done for theirs, and if one muffler/exhaust system has a lower cost/better sound/better performance. Let me know what you have! I've been doing plenty of research into different set-ups and reading reviews, but I just wanted to bring the question to the forum too!

i did a complete straight pipe on my 99 subaru

brought a racing tip off ebay for $40 plus shipping

and it cost me $250 to have it bent and welded the way i want

and it sounds great doesnt sound ricey like hondas do and i notice a major improvement in power, gas mileage, and take off and i do have a cold air intake that helps also

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/SayingSorry1988/newpics018-1.jpg

Yeah I don't want it to sound too ricey...I could never pull it off. Not that I'd want to do that to a subaru either haha.

Sorry yeah I realized that after I posted it here, but if there's feedback then I guess it doesn't really matter...

I was looking into the SPT muffler because it was made by subaru for this specific application. I'm looking to bust a myth: if you have as free-flowing of an exhaust system as possible, will it perform as well as a set-up that has some restrictions but is designed to work with the backpressure that the engine puts out? I was reading somewhere about straight pipes and how some may take away power because they're a universal pipe. But it's as free-flowing as it gets...is this true?

Archived