LegacyGT.com

Subaru 4 pots vs sti Brembo's

LegacyDan

@Sebaru: post an update of pictures once you run those brakes through a few rainstorms. The front calipers will go from black near the hub, to rust, to shiny worn rotor where the pads bite. You'll then be able to see the difference in pad bite area, and thats just radially.

whatcha gonna do with the LGT calipers? put them on your WRX?

315mm is correct. For about the same money as the front red 4-pots a vendor here is offering Willwood calipers that fit the stock-sized rotors. He had a limited number he was doing at the price...

Which vendor was that?

The fronts 4 pots bolt on no problem. Just remove the two pot calipers and rotors and bolt on the 4 pot calipers and rotors and BAM! there you have it.

Ther rear 2 pots shall require these Kartboy FHI 2 Pot Rear Brake Adpater Brackets KB-022 in order tho work. I shall order those soon. http://www.scoobymods.com/kartboy_subaru_2_pot-t7905.html

First impressions are the 4 pots have a very similar initial pedal feel (nice and firm) but they stop with less pedal pressure than the two pots. No complaints so far. This is my daily driver so they won't get punished like the 4 pots / 2 pot FHI setup on my L.

I'll post updates when I get the brackets.

Sebastian

http://www.sebaru.net

Installed the rear 2 pots with the KARTBOY KB-022 brackets. It took longer getting the car raised and lowered than it did swapping the calipers out.

Brake pedal feel is nice an firm can't compare to stock setup since it snowed all weekend. The snow tires are the bomb though!:lol:

2016141778_2005LegacyGTLimitedSilver017small.thumb.jpg.bb08e832ed5f96cb5ba89f720ed5300a.jpg

224101659_2005LegacyGTLimitedSilver020small.jpg.babacc728e4a55f8999ed78560bd4438.jpg

1634825030_2005LegacyGTLimitedSilver018small.thumb.jpg.efc113234eea705979b79f6d004471b0.jpg

264647445_2005LegacyGTLimitedSilver021small.thumb.jpg.3a9895ed031ca71754cae9437271e761.jpg

what size wheels are those? makes the those 4/2 pot brakes look big LOL.

I know right! :lol: They are 195/50 15s. They were bought for my '91 turbo leggie machine a couple of years ago. I got the small diameter to gear it down a little for 2007 SCCA Rallycross National Championships in stock all wheel drive category. They are pretty much brand new still.

Anyhow, I hope my post was helpful. Perhaps it could be a sticky item. I scoured the Internet and nowhere did it mention the FHI 2 pots compatibility on the LGT. I deduced from the kartboy instructions forum post on scoobie tuners that since the caliper brackets require the LGT rear rotors then it has to work.

I got my brackets at http://www.rallysportdirect.com . Give Kiril a call and tell him I sent you and he'll take care of you.

Cheers,

Sebastian

• 1 year later...
The fronts 4 pots bolt on no problem. Just remove the two pot calipers and rotors and bolt on the 4 pot calipers and rotors and BAM! there you have it.

Sebastian

http://www.sebaru.net

Hi Sebastian,

With the Subaru 4 pots on your Legacy I assume you have fitted the matching 4 pot discs? i.e. 295mm x 24mm is this correct?

In the UK a company called Godspeed Brakes do a big brake conversion, aimed at Impreza's, that allow you to use the Subaru 4 pots with 2 piece 335mm x 32mm discs; they provide spacers to widen the caliper and brackets to move the caliper out to fit. They have even have some extra large EBC Blue Stuff NDX pads (part no: DP5335NDX) specially made to fit the Subaru 4 pots in order to make use of the larger surface area of the larger discs.

It looks like I might be going down this route! :)

Jeffrey

...In the UK a company called Godspeed Brakes do a big brake conversion, aimed at Impreza's, that allow you to use the Subaru 4 pots with 2 piece 335mm x 32mm discs; they provide spacers to widen the caliper and brackets to move the caliper out to fit. They have even have some extra large EBC Blue Stuff NDX pads (part no: DP5335NDX) specially made to fit the Subaru 4 pots in order to make use of the larger surface area of the larger discs.

Thanks that is good to know.

http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/~godspeed/ I couldn't find any info on the kit you mention. I only found the 335mm discs.

I am interested in that kit for my L'RX track car.

Seb

Thanks that is good to know.

http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/~godspeed/ I couldn't find any info on the kit you mention. I only found the 335mm discs.

I am interested in that kit for my L'RX track car.

Seb

Hi Seb,

For some reason they don't advertise them much on their website but they definatelystill sell them because I spoke on the phone with them this week.

They are mentioned on their website here www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/godspeedexternal/groved.html

Look here www.rb5oc.co.uk/stephangod.asp for a view of the kit and...

...here www.rb5oc.co.uk/godspeed_instructions.doc for fitting instructions.

The kit costs £550 for the 2 piece disks (335 x 32), the caliper spacers & brackets and a choice of pads (either Ferodo DS2500 or extra large EBS Blue Stuff NDX and possibly others).

You can also just buy the fitting kit (i.e. caliper spacers and brackets) for £150.

From what I have read the EBC Blue Stuff NDX pads are the best pads ever! ...excellent from cold and will also out perform any track / race pad - I know it's hard to believe but do your own research and you will find out.

The EBC Blue Stuff NDX pads for the above kit are specially made for this application with a larger surface area to take advantage of the larger discs and hence is sounds like an awesome combination!

EBC also make standard size Blue Stuff NDX pads for these calipers if required for 295mm x 24mm discs.

So just to confirm with you Seb the Subaru 4 pots fit the Legacy GT BL5 / BP5 cars if used in conjunction with the 295mm x 24mm disc? If this is true then the above big brake kit will fit our Legacy GT's :)!

Jeffrey

From what ihave read on here the Subaru 4 pots offer no advantage over the standard floating 2 pots. Some say its actually a down grade!

Hi Dan,

I totally agree with you; there is no advantage, per say, in using the Subaru 4 pots over the standard Legacy floating 2 pots, however, what does make this combination attractive to me is the following:

· the Godspeed kit moves the caliper out by 20mm (radius) which allows the Subaru 4 pot caliper, which usually has a 295mm disc, accept a 335mm disc (40mm diameter larger).

· If the standard floating 2 pots were used then to go from a 316mm disc to 335mm disc the calipers would need to be moved out by 9.5mm which can’t be achieved using 12mm / 14mm bolts.

· Godspeed make the spacers to widen the Subaru 4 pots allowing them to accept the 32mm wide discs.

· The floating 2 pots can only accept 30mm wide discs and no one (as far as I Know) makes spaces to allow these calipers to accept wider discs.

· EBC Bluestuff NDX pads are available for the Subaru 4 pots (and even a special larger version to make use of the larger disc surface area). These pads are not available for the subaru floating 2 pots. Next on my list would be the Ferodo DS2500 pads and, as far as I can tell, these aren’t available for the Subaru floating 2 pots either.

· I happen to have a spare set of Subaru 4 pots sitting in the garage!!

All in all this make sense for me!

Regards,

Jeffrey

Archived