LegacyGT.com

Weird smell from engine.

I have a 2009 legacy 2.5i with 4000 miles. I was on my way back to school with the heat on and I was going up a steep hill and when accelerated over 3750 rpm the inside of the car started to smell. I don’t know if the engine is still breaking in or what. Should i be worried?

i was going about 55 60 and its an auto

ah, yeah.

back to the dealer asap and tell exactly what happened.

could be the coatings on new parts but you paid enough for subaru to figure it out.

how fast were you going? and in what gear? stick or auto?

yeah its a weird smell i cant tell what it is.

OK I have an 09 also. Does it smell like antifreeze? Im battling it out now with subaru. There trying to tell me that the 08-09 models use a new antifreeze and the smell is normal. Its BS. I think its a problem with the head gasket.

Unless it smells all the time, it's normal. You floored it, something got hot and made a smell.

It did it once. Forget about it. When it does it all the time, then you worry about it. If you take it to the dealer, all they are gonna say is they can't find anything.

If it was a Head Gasket issue, it would do it more often, you'd have coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. You'd be low on coolant or the coolant tank would overflow occasionally.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

earlier i asked what gear and he just said automatic.

IF it was in drive (4th) that sounds high, IF it was downshifted that may be about right.

short of going for a drive, which i am not going to do right now, the op needs to clear up with as much info as possible what he did.

It down shifted and thats y the rpm was high

earlier i asked what gear and he just said automatic.

IF it was in drive (4th) that sounds high, IF it was downshifted that may be about right.

short of going for a drive, which i am not going to do right now, the op needs to clear up with as much info as possible what he did.

i have a 2010 with 5k miles on it and i used my heat full blast the first time last night and i did smell something... odd, but i think its just because its a new car and tuning on the heat is prolly heating up new plastic or something.. i don't think you should be worried about it

My '09 LGT makes an odd smell sometimes when I really get on it. It used to do it more often when it was brand new but now that it has over 3,000 miles on it I don't smell it as much. I think it's normal for our cars and apparently goes away in time.

Archived