LegacyGT.com

TSB: Torque Converter for AT Transmissions

BigInALegacy

So they're keeping my car for the weekend I guess...

My impression leaving there was that it was gonna be overnight, but they told me to plan on Monday after work when I called today. I dropped the car off Friday at 4:00PM... should it really take until Monday at 4:00PM to install a new torque converter?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

stupid question but.. is their shop open/active on the weekends? A lot of places only have mechanics M-F, which I guess could explain the wait if that's the case.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So they're keeping my car for the weekend I guess...

My impression leaving there was that it was gonna be overnight, but they told me to plan on Monday after work when I called today. I dropped the car off Friday at 4:00PM... should it really take until Monday at 4:00PM to install a new torque converter?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

If they run a skeleton crew of 1 tech, then yeah because he has x amount of other cars too. That is not enough time to do it and the other work as well. I don't schedule that kind of work for a Saturday either.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Tentative Update:

I picked up the car Monday evening about 5:00PM EST, as they kept it over the weekend to do the service.

I have driven it 5 minutes home that night, and to/from work yesterday and today. Maybe 100 miles total, so these are my first impressions:

Haven't had the stutter/hesitation yet at all since Monday. There were times over the past couple of days when I thought it might have done it before, and it didn't now. That being said, before it didn't tend to be quite as prevalent on normal drives like the 100 miles I've done with the new part compared to being on the highway where I always felt it. Seems to have subsided a bit from first impressions though.

I'll hold off on final impressions until I get a good highway trip in, because then I'll know 100% if it's fixed or not. I can replicate it in a heartbeat on the highway by going 68-70 in 5th gear, right under 2K RPM's, and giving slight acceleration.

What I can tell you for sure is that I saw the invoice, and it would have been about $1100-1200 to fix had it not been covered under the powertrain warranty. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so it's been a couple weeks since my update, sorry I've been house hunting... :redface:

I can happily say that the hesitation/stutter is GONE. I haven't had it happen once since then. I've tried to get it to happen on the highway with no luck. I just can't make it happen anymore. Very happy to get that resolved as I'm going Stage 2 tomorrow. :woowoo:

So, that's my story. If you're 5EAT is hesitating at low RPM's, get the torque converter checked. Better to get it fixed under the drivetrain warranty than be out $1200. :)

• 2 weeks later...

@ MUN2k6 - I have the gold too, didn't matter. Still under the regular powertrain warranty to 60k I believe. In any event, I said "good thing I got the extra warranty" when I was in there, and the service tech said "no matter, it would have been covered under the powertrain warranty."

POWERTRAIN COVERAGE for all models is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Subject to the exclusions listed in this warranty, it covers the major powertrain components listed below.

Powertrain Coverage Components

Engine

Engine block and all internal parts

Cylinder heads and valve trains

Oil pump, oil pan

Timing belts or gears and cover

Water pump

Flywheel

Intake and exhaust manifolds

Oil seals and gaskets

Transaxle and Differential

Transaxle case and internal parts

Torque converter

Electronic transmission control unit

Seals and gaskets

Axle shafts & constant velocity joints [except boots]**

Propeller shaft

Wheel bearings

Im in Canada and im gonna book some time with the dealer. I asked them if they had heard anything about this and they said no reports of any of these problems(thats what they are supposed to say i guess), my only concern is that i have the ipt valve body mod done can they check for this or see it in any way?

That is always the case. I'm not sure if they will notice the mod. To be honest, I am kind of getting sick of the dealers saying that they have never heard about it. I am going to my third dealership now regarding this issue. Fingers crossed. Im off to Brampton Subaru. Good Luck.

Update Brampton Subaru. Nice bunch of guys, took my concerns seriously.

They did the following:

-Transmission reflash/relearn procedure

-Performed Idle learn.

I have to observe and monitor it. They will also check in with the sub tech line.

It’s a start.

Archived