LegacyGT.com

audio quality

vineee1

hi.im in the process of getting a new ltd. and was just wondering about the quality of the stock sound system.. is it bad? and how much of a difference does the sub make?? im pretty pumped this car sounds like a winner!!! thanks vinny

Hmmmmm.....let me make a point. I have $4K of gear sitting in my garage not being installed. The stock system with sub is good enough that I don't want to hassled with installing the gear I have.

The audio system is very good IF you have the sub-woofer added. It's not that you get thunderous, overwhelming bass, but rather good solid bass from the sub, which allows the mids and tweeters to breath and perform better. It's a much richer sound with the sub-woofer added. Just as Patagonian says, good enough to make after-market gear unnecessary. I think it's a real shame that Subaru didn't see fit to make the sub-woofer standard. Lot's of people will never know how good their stock system can be.

search, this has been discussed before.

The stock system with the sub is good enough to make installing an aftermarket not worth the hassle. But if it were easier to add an aftermarket system, i'm sure alot of us would....but i'm sure that would apply to any car.

Moved to interior/ audio

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Hmmmmm.....let me make a point. I have $4K of gear sitting in my garage not being installed. The stock system with sub is good enough that I don't want to hassled with installing the gear I have.

+1

I really don't miss my stuff at all any more. I should really sell it on ebay.

+2

^^ Me too (around 4k)....my stuffs been sitting there for 3 months, I even got a din bezel to add an extra HU......still all sitting there. so 4 months on stocker setup...with all previvous autos have'n real nice setups......its def a matter of opinion, but I think it's def sufficent, as long as you get the 8'' sub with the pkg.

That being said, I have Next Thurs off, and plan to install everything...I'll let you know what I think of the diff....=)

as long as you get the 8'' sub with the pkg.

8"?? The enclosure is 8" long. The driver is about 4-5". Who woulda thunk it would work great??

Like an 80 yr old man once told me when we installed Aura "BassShakers" under the seats, "I don't get it. It makes my a$$ quiver" :lol: It was his son's car who had a large stock interest in Jensen Transducers who makes the units.

Like an 80 yr old man once told me when we installed Aura "BassShakers" under the seats, "I don't get it. It makes my a$$ quiver"

Damnit, think of those that have a vivid imagination, will ya! :lol:

I think it sounds fine. If you're really into upgrading - the fact that you can't replace the stock stereo is kind of annoying.--- But the factory system sounds really good. ( I did not get the factory subwoofer and am still pleased with it)

Damnit, think of those that have a vivid imagination, will ya! :lol:

Actually, I did think of ya. The old guy actually used the full version of a$$ (AH), but I edited to spare you the mental anguish. :lol:

Actually, I did think of ya. The old guy actually used the full version of a$$ (AH), but I edited to spare you the mental anguish. :lol:

Okay, back on topic....

I think I may install my Diamond Audio HEX components and amp, but I'm waiting for the JL CleanSweep to come out. I don't know if I'm going to do any sub though. I'm quite happy with it, and after hearing how the basslink sounds in Rao's car (the largest I would want to go), I'm not convinced that I need much more. Rao, that's not a knock, it sounds good, but on my road trips, I need every inch of space the trunk offers.

I need to test fit my surfboard, I mean amp, under the floor in the wagon. I want to build a fiberglass enclosure for the woofer in the right rear (wagons have and empty cubby that can be yanked for more space). I have a PPI PRO-10 that is only 4.25 inches deep - the box will be tiny enough to tuck out of the way. If I can do both of those things, then I will do an install this summer when the weather is better and get the Quarts running again. The CleanSweep will be integral to the install. :D

Coming from someone in the car audio business...

The stock system is surprisingly decent. It exhibits reasonable tonal balance (a little boomy), and gets decently loud without major distortion issues. The door panels tend to buzz a bit when you really get on it. It's far from perfect, but it ranks highly against other supposedly "premium-branded" OEM systems I've heard... it's better than the G35's Bose system, for example.

That being said... for those looking for a higher level of performance... aftermarket equipment will make a huge difference, specifically amplifiers, speakers and a good subwoofer. Kind of like the difference between the 2.5i and the LGT.

We are still working on my white LGT wagon and will have full details in the coming weeks. We're using the new CleanSweep to interface to the factory head, installing an XM tuner and iPod via line-level to the CleanSweep, then adding 950 watts of JL Audio power, custom front door panels with dual 5.25-inch mids in each door and 6.5 coaxes in the rear doors, plus a real subwoofer. It's going to be fun. :)

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

msmith...did the cleansweep release in the market already?

it sounds like a great product, making your factory head unit function like an aftermarket unit. I'd like to see some pics of the sweep or of the install if you have any. Thanks

Manville,

I missed that other thread so thanks for providing a link. One question - have you had good experience with the Dynamat product? My installer suggested it, but when I pressed him on it, he said he could not guarantee that it would work as promised. Hence, I did not install it in the WRX I had before the LGT.

BTW, I have the XM Commander unit mounted in the same spot - very stealth.

Any other suggestion on placement of the Cleansweep volume control? Up here, I can't afford to sacrifice the seat warmer controls :( .

Thanks

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

The purpose of any Dynamat-type material is to add mass to a panel to lower the resonant frequency. There are lots of derivatives available at lower costs as well. The butyl rubber/aluminum stuff seems to work the best.....I used over 100 sq/ft on my last car.

We've always used Dynamat... it's not the cheapest, but it sticks (and stays stuck) and performs beautifully... the Dynamat Extreme is simply the best stuff we've ever worked with.

emlevins...

I looked at other CleanSweep knob options as well... One was to remove the hazard switch from the radio faceplate and place it in that hole (relocating the hazard switch to the glovebox), but I didn't want to have the control on the right side of the radio.

Another option would be to drill a hole on the radio faceplate above the OEM volume control (plenty of room back there) and plug it with a rubber plug when you sell the car (kind of tacky, though). The trim area behind the shifter would be another possible location, if you don't mind drilling a hole there. You could also place it inside the cupholder compartment if you don't want any holes drilled in visible areas. Once I settled on the location I kind of stopped thinking about it, so there may be other good places to put it.

"6) CleanSweep™ also integrates a stereo auxiliary input circuit for adding an additional stereo source such as a satellite radio tuner, MP3 player, aftermarket source unit, or any other audio source to the system."

Now, that alone is a great thing to have!

Tom

FRA-GEE-LAY... It must be Italian!

Archived