LegacyGT.com

Subaru Paint Quality

After some lurking on various Subaru forums, I have noticed what seem to be a lot of complaints about Subaru paint being fragile and extremely susceptible to rock chips and swirl marks. Any idea if the 2005 Legacies will have a higher quality paint?

As much as I want it to be of a higher quality, I'm sure it won't be. Supposedly, part of the reason is because car manufactuers can no longer use lead based paint. This could be a rumor, and I just remember reading it somewhere..

And even if Subaru paint gets ripped, I shopped a lot of cars before deciding at the Legacy, and TONS of cars get ripped for the same issue... Lexus, Infiniti, Mazda. I think it has to do with modern formulations more than anything, like the postwhore said. :D

[quote name='rltrock']does Subaru paint tend to fade? which color would best stand up given the supposed poor paint quality? R.[/quote] I have heard (generally speaking... not just Subaru) that the reds and dark blues tend to be more susceptible to fade. Silver, white, black, moderate and lighter blues and dark greens tend to be less susceptible. Anyone seen or heard anything about Subaru in particular? I'm definitely curious.

Just my own observation, but it appears as though the paint on the Japanese made Impreza and Forester seem to chip easier than the US Legacys. I've been following Subaru forums for the last five years and I've heard more Impreza/Forester owners complaining about paint chips than Leg/OB owners. The leading edge of my Forester is also pockmarked like the surface of the moon. Ken

Looks like a "clear bra" like StonGard would be a good investment. In doing some research on the 3M clear urethane film that StonGard and others use, it was interesting to read that this product had its beginnings in Desert Storm, and was used to protect helicopter rotors from sand damage.

[quote name='outahere']Looks like a "clear bra" like StonGard would be a good investment. In doing some research on the 3M clear urethane film that StonGard and others use, it was interesting to read that this product had its beginnings in Desert Storm, and was used to protect helicopter rotors from sand damage.[/quote] Does anyone have any direct experience with this stuff? I had asked about it over in a Subaru forum on Edmunds with no response yet. :?:

My buddy just got the rockguard or whatever it's called on his STi yesterday. I'll report back in a few thousand on how it actually works. Supposed to be permeable, and the adhesive used is supposed to not yellow at all on white unlike some previous yellowing.

Archived