LegacyGT.com

Mysterious Brake Rub...New Owner, PLEASE HELP!

veritas

I'm about ready to set the car on fire. Here is the short of it. Bought a leftover 08 LGT Auto in june of this year. The build date on it was 10/07 so the car obviously sat for a while.

Second day owning the car, i start to hear this low but audible woosh woosh woosh woosh woosh when i drive slowly, say under 10mph. From that speed when i depress the brakes and the car comes to a stop, it almost sounds like a very slight grind before the car actually stops. Once you pass a certain speed, you just can't here it any more and the slight grind noise goes away. Only on a quiet street with the windows down, but still very audible. Ok, 2 problems.

I bring the car back on day 3 (90miles on od), mechanic says he hears it and suggests I drive the car and put some miles on it before he does anything like resurface the rotors. Then he tells me, "your always gonna here some rubbing but at least the steering wheel doesn't shake when you hit the brakes." So i say thats strange to hear rubbing on a 30K car thats brand new. But I wait. I put miles on the car.

At 2200 miles the steering wheel starts to shake under high speed braking:rolleyes: The rub/grind is still there. I bring the car back. Front rotors need to be re-surfaced. I say ok, also please correct this ridiculous rubbing noise. I get the car back and the shaking is gone but the rubbing noise is still there.

3000 miles, the TPMS light goes off:nono: so i bring it back and say oh by the way you guys never corrected this rubbing problem. The Service Manager goes for a ride with me and he hears it. Calls me later and says he REARS have some "runout" and need to be resurfaced. I picked the car up and not only is the noise still there, it almost feels louder than it did before.

4 trips, the car has only 3k miles on it...Brakes, fucked up A/C system, TPMS thats balls sensitive, weird studdery shifting...I financed this car & paying a good amount...i'm losing my patience.

Can someone chime in as to what might be going on with the brakes. Something is rubbing when I'm NOT on them at low speeds. wooshwooshwoosh. argh!

Sorry for the rant and thanks for any help.

Vin C

Staten Island, NY

Subscribe....same issue here. I've messed with the e-brake adjustment trying to see if that was it and it didnt help at all. I basically just gave up. I figure its just the pads dragging lightly on the rotors. I can only really notice it when the windows are down and I pass close to a large flat surface...wall, row of cars...etc.

I've had a similar problem pretty much since I bought my 06 2.5i 2 years ago. There is no problem when braking but have always had a dragging/grinding noise while driving. It actually causes a bit of resistance while driving and makes driving the car suck at times.

There is an "E" brake adjustment?

Yes, underneither the center console at the base of the "E" brake handle there is an adjuster nut.

I've also had this issue on my 05 Impreza, but I haven't had any time to check it out and see whats wrong. But I guarentee there is a problem, its not supposed to be this way. Whether it be dirt or pads or the rear dust sheild, somethings wrong.

First how far does your e brake come up when you set your brake? Also what do your rotors look like? Are there any grooves, nicks, or scoring? Have the rotors been turned. Is it a sound like the wear indicator is touching? Did they apply brake quiet to the pads and points that the pad touches? So how are your pads wearing? Are they semi-metallic( I run ceramics because of low dust and noise)? Did they check the secondary shoe in your rear rotors?

The things about disc brakes are they are always very close to barely touching all the time when your driving. Disc brakes have no return springs like drum brakes. So once you apply them the pad just sit there and can drag slightly. Most time the noise you hear is the pads vibrating against the caliper. That is why the have shims or brake quiet goo on the back of brake pads.

In 20yrs of working on cars I have never had a problem like this that any of these things couldn't be fix.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

some disc brakes (like ours) have clips on the back of the pads that lightly press against the caliper. it's enough to lift the disc off the surface of the disc when you're not applying your brakes.

your pads should not be dragging when not you're not stepping on the brake pedal.

First how far does your e brake come up when you set your brake? Also what do your rotors look like? Are there any grooves, nicks, or scoring? Have the rotors been turned. Is it a sound like the wear indicator is touching? Did they apply brake quiet to the pads and points that the pad touches? So how are your pads wearing? Are they semi-metallic( I run ceramics because of low dust and noise)? Did they check the secondary shoe in your rear rotors?

The things about disc brakes are they are always very close to barely touching all the time when your driving. Disc brakes have no return springs like drum brakes. So once you apply them the pad just sit there and can drag slightly. Most time the noise you hear is the pads vibrating against the caliper. That is why the have shims or brake quiet goo on the back of brake pads.

In 20yrs of working on cars I have never had a problem like this that any of these things couldn't be fix.

I must admit, I don't use my Ebrake. The car is 3 months old and I'v never pulled it. I'm not sure I can answer how the rotors look. The fronts look smooth, the back looks like it has some lines around it. They are both stock, pads & rotors and if by "turned" you mean resurfaced/cut then yes, they both were. The front ones were done because of Steering wheel vibration under high speed braking. That was corrected. The rubbing remains. The rear ones were just done 3 days ago. The rubbing remains. Here is what they said they did..."TECH NOTICED SLIGHT NOISE COMING FROM REAR ROTORS/GLAZED/SLIGHT RUN OUT NOTED...RESURFACE REAR ROTORS"

Hope this helps. I can take some pics of the rears and the fronts if that might help better.

you need to narrow down which end of your car it's coming from. how fast (or slow) do you have to be going in order to hear it? maybe take the car into a large parking lot and have an assistant idle the car forward while you jog alongside next to it to determine where it's coming from (front or rear). then try to figure out of it's the left or right side.

you need to narrow down which end of your car it's coming from. how fast (or slow) do you have to be going in order to hear it? maybe take the car into a large parking lot and have an assistant idle the car forward while you jog alongside next to it to determine where it's coming from (front or rear). then try to figure out of it's the left or right side.

Thats an interesting idea, I'll have to try that. As far as speed, it's only really audible from 10mph down to zero.

Archived