LegacyGT.com

Tranny's getting old?

Coming straight from a 1998 LGTL with the four-speed auto trans...does anyone know how long they're expected to go for before a transmission rebuild? I know this isn't really a subaru specific question (unless there's a problem specific to the 2nd gen automatic), but I've been having trouble finding anything else online, so I thought I'd ask the people who know their subarus the best :)

Some final notes: it's pushing 144,000 miles, and the shifts are starting to get rough, especially from first to second. All fluids have been changed too...thanks!

Pump or the clutch packs maybe? If it were the pump it would happen more from third to fourth, or whenever you try to engage reverse.

144K isn't a lot, but the 4EAT can overheat and experience problems well before then if it's stressed. If this car is all stock though, you shouldn't be having too much troubles. The 4EAT only really gives you trouble if you put tons of power to it, the Subaru SVX being one great example.

You could get a tranny cooler, but there's no use in putting a band-aid on cancer. If the transmission is on it's way out, it's just a matter of time. Hard or sluggish shifting doesn't mean the transmission won't last a long time, don't get me wrong. It just means your car is getting old, and the weakest link will always become exaggerated with old age. 144K miles isn't that much for the 4EAT. I just did a tranny fluid change with a new filter at about 151K miles and my tranny still feels good. Shifting is a bit sluggish, but I got what I payed for..... A means of transportation to work and back everyday.

Let me ask you this, do you shift the automatic transmission ALL THE TIME? Downshift, upshift with the shifter, and otherwise strain the transmission by treating it like a stick shift? This can wear a tranny down in no time flat if you're doing this all the time especially if you're shifting it manually at 5K RPM's all the time, everytime, and downshifting everytime you go to slow down. Newer transmissions with the "Autostick" feature are a little different. The 4EAT probably doesn't like that too much. Every once in a while I'll do that to keep the transmission from shifting straight into third from first when pulling out into traffic, but it is not a good habit if you're doing it all the time.

Thanks for the info. The transmission shifts harder from 1st to 2nd under light load/acceleration. It's not as bad as if there is a "shift kit" installed, but it is more noticable than most other trannys. It does shift fairly smoothly from 1-2 during moderate and hard accelerations. All other shifts under all conditions seem to be fine. We'll just keep our eye on it.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Archived