LegacyGT.com

Necessity of Undercoating

Is aftermarket undercoating beneficial in a modern car like a 2005 Legacy, to protect against road salt? I know the body shell is galvanized, but has Subaru provided sufficient protection of the undercarriage?

In cali if you're not in the mountains all the time, shouldn't be that big of a deal, at least if they don't use salt to clear the roads. However, if you're in the salt belt like me, I still like the aftermarket undercoating. The underbody of my car is still as solid as when it rolled off the line 6 years ago. No evidence of rust anywhere either.

[quote name='SUBE555']In cali if you're not in the mountains all the time, shouldn't be that big of a deal, at least if they don't use salt to clear the roads. However, if you're in the salt belt like me, I still like the aftermarket undercoating. The underbody of my car is still as solid as when it rolled off the line 6 years ago. No evidence of rust anywhere either.[/quote] In a few months I will be moving to an area where road salt is used all winter, hence my interest in undercoating. What undercoating have you used? Ziebart?

Directly from the Subaru website: Rust Perforation Limited Warranty Rust perforation coverage for all vehicles except Right-Hand Drive Legacy is five years regardless of mileage. Since all Subaru vehicles are built to resist corrosion, the use of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not necessary and is not a requirement for coverage under this warranty. I usually get rid of cars at around 3 to 5 years into the deal. For me, I would skip the extra cost of the undercoating and get rid of it in the aforementioend time frame. But, as my wife likes to tell me, I'm spoiled when it comes to getting new cars... :roll:

I like to make sure that warranty is never used and the car has an excellent body long after that, that being the reason I will do the extra corrosion resistance. My car came from Colorado in 2000 without that (they don't use salt out there to my knowledge) and that was one of the first things done here. I think it was worth it.

[quote name='outahere'][quote name='Drift Monkey']Another reason to live in the South! :razz:[/quote] Only if you don't mind 3 lbs of mold growing inside your doors!! :P :D[/quote] Hey, Drift... I've never had any mold problems. How about you? :wink:

[quote name='outahere']VW and Audi offer a 12 year/unlimited mileage corrosion perforation warranty. Any reason why Subaru cannot do the same?[/quote] VW/Audi had some serious quality/reliability problems from the late 80's through the mid 90's. Remember that really fast Audi 5000 as it launched itself into the neighbor's pool? If you read the owner review section at MSN autos they persist today. I believe that for a while there they were offering a 100K power train warranty just to get people to consider their products (VW at least). I will give their design and marketing people credit in that they have clawed their way back somewhat.

Archived