LegacyGT.com

Odd, non-constant Vibration

FrozenNorthLGT

Over the last few months, maybe longer and I just started to notice, my car has developed an odd vibration. If I'm cruising at 65mph, I have a slight vibration. (by slight I mean if I watch my hand at the top of the wheel I can see my knuckles move +/- 1/2") I've had cars with serious vibration problems, and this seems minor, but not "right." The odd part is though, it only lasts for almost exactally 45 seconds. After that it goes away. And by away, I mean no vibration what-so-ever. ZERO!...lol. Then 30-40 seconds later, it begins again. It comes and goes smooth, and slow, not just on/off like a switch. Its not really speed dependant because I can still notice it moving slower till under 50mph, then its gone. at 65mph+ the vibraiotn is worse, but still comes and goes predictibly and completely.

Anybody have a good explination for this? I knwo my rear LCA bushings are in need of replacement (though they are "within Subaru spec"...lol :rolleyes:). I also know my struts are getting worn, but arent that bad yet. (I have a full spec b billstein converstion planned for spring) I just can't see either of these explaining the on/off nature of this vibration. My tires are also suffering, allthough very slightly, from outer edge wear, but when I rotated the rears (much less wear) to the front, it didnt change the vibration at all. Anyone? :confused:

On any road. If its smooth enough for me to notice it, that is. It doesnt matter where I am or what road I'm on. The only thing that changes it is it's harder to notice at speeds lower than 50mph. It simply comes and goes at 30-40 second intervals. Like clockwork.

sounds like some weird harmonic thing, like a drive shaft out of balance. i haven't really checked, but do we even have u-joints on the shaft back to the rear diff. maybe see if that's loose/any play at all???

AC compressor turning on and off

Far be it from me to doubt....but seriously?....I mean the timing sounds like it makes sense, but the vibration? Why would the steering wheel shake when the compressor turns on and off? Plus, it comes and goes gradually...not "click" vibraton, "click" no vibration...Has anyone else expirienced this in relation to the A/C pump?

Nothing is ruled out yet. I only get about 4 hours a week with nothing to do to work on my car so I want to gather as many ideas as I can ahead of time. Plus, 6 days a week my commute consists of 5 miles round trip city driving at < 40 mph, and I can't feel a thing. It only manifests at higher speeds when I get out of town once, maybe twice, a week.

Not associated with A/C pump. Verified that today while out of town on buisness. Was at speeds from 55-80mph, and it was the same on...fade...off....fade...on pattern the whole time. I turned the A/C on while it was not happening, and off while it was, and no change what-so-ever.

• 1 month later...
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!! i thought i was losing my mind and just would forget about it. Every morning i merge onto the highway i get about 1 min of this vibration in the wheel , at first i thought it was a weight that fell off, but the vibration goes away!!!

warped rotors is my guess.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Warped rotors would cause uneven tire wear? :confused:

hang on, let me look................nope, I didn't say anything about tire wear. I said the vibrations may now becoming from his rotors, especially considering he's had the rotor problem in the past.

perhaps he's got two issues here no?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Warped rotors (which doesn't happen on this car) causing problems while not braking (which also can't happen unless your rotors are like .25" out of spec)...

Hmmm, that is a new possiblity for Subaru Service Providers to tell customers. I like it ;)

:spin:

hang on, let me look................nope, I didn't say anything about tire wear. I said the vibrations may now becoming from his rotors, especially considering he's had the rotor problem in the past.

perhaps he's got two issues here no?

One of his symptoms is uneven tire wear. That's why I asked that question. Appreciate the sarcastic response, though. :rolleyes:

One of his symptoms is uneven tire wear. That's why I asked that question. Appreciate the sarcastic response, though. :rolleyes:

;) hey no problem. i suggested warped rotors based on a similiar problem I had. considering how many times the car was in for balance issues I thought it could've been two problems.

Well the other day I had to pull the drivers side front wheel, caliper, bracket, and rotor to grease the backing plate cause the shim is rusty and falling apart (long story about tracking THAT noise down...lol). Whatever that did, when I got it all back together, the "come and go" of the vibration was gone. There is still a slight vibration in the background at highway speed (suspect my worn control arm bushings). But it doesnt change, other than slightly with less or more speed. I suspect my wheel may not have been seated quite properly, even though I check lug nuts once a week or so, because there was a significant buildup of corrosion from taking the factory wheels off earlier this year. Doesnt really explain the off/on nature, but such is the way with suspension vibrations...:rolleyes:

Well the other day I had to pull the drivers side front wheel, caliper, bracket, and rotor to grease the backing plate cause the shim is rusty and falling apart (long story about tracking THAT noise down...lol). Whatever that did, when I got it all back together, the "come and go" of the vibration was gone. There is still a slight vibration in the background at highway speed (suspect my worn control arm bushings). But it doesnt change, other than slightly with less or more speed. I suspect my wheel may not have been seated quite properly, even though I check lug nuts once a week or so, because there was a significant buildup of corrosion from taking the factory wheels off earlier this year. Doesnt really explain the off/on nature, but such is the way with suspension vibrations...:rolleyes:

Great idea. Wish I had tried this last night. We thought that the front right caliper was locking up and that was cause for the vibration. So after pulling it off, loosening up the pistons and reseating it, the vibration came back after a bit.

I will try this as soon as I can and see if it fixes my issue as well.

Archived