LegacyGT.com

Winter/Snow Tires

Connect4

What is the best winter/snow tires for the money. I've been looking at Bridgestone Blizzack 215/45-17V. I know you guys probably discussed this before, but I can't find the thread.

Also, I've been told that the Hankook tires are just as good as the Blizzacks. Can anyone confirm this?

Let me know what you guys think.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First you need to decide if you want or need high performance winter, studless winter (ice) or studded winter.

Krzys

Of course I need high performance winter tires, I have a 08 GT. I like to get frisky sometimes, don't you?

Tire Rack has the Blizzaks for $99.00 right now.

It depends if you plan to drive on plowed or unplowed roads and nothing about 'to get frisky'.

Performance winter tires are perfect for cold, dry, wet. They are worse in snow or on ice than studless (or studded tires).

Studded might be the best on ice but not good anywhere else.

Studless winter usually trade dry road and speed rating (along with temperature that they can be operated at) for snow and ice.

Krzys

PS So what kind of roads to you expect in winter?

I ran these last winter. Pretty good but they loose there feet once they wear down, and they tend to pretty fast when it not snowing.

Anyone have experience with the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 I really want to try these out this season.

I have Michelin X-Ice Xi2, they did great last winter. Still on the car as a matter of fact and wear looks good.

+1 for Xi2. I ran them last year and they did great. Although, they did also repel any good snow storms for the first 2 months after I put them on. The only time I really slid out of control with them was when I encounter ice that was better then most ice rinks. The ice was 4 inches thick, clear blue and perfectly flat that ice skates would have loved. Every other condition was great for these tires.

jarrod, did you run yours all through the summer?

Cheers,

Mike

Toyo Observe Garit KX

Best rated tire for performance in dry as well as ice and snow. Pricey, but I am on the third year on these tires, 14k, including driving to Florida from NE every year.

When new and even when old, driving in the snow/slush/rain is like driving on dry pavement and driving on dry pavement is like an AS tire.

In the Subie, they are just awesome:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

+1 for Xi2. I ran them last year and they did great. Although, they did also repel any good snow storms for the first 2 months after I put them on. The only time I really slid out of control with them was when I encounter ice that was better then most ice rinks. The ice was 4 inches thick, clear blue and perfectly flat that ice skates would have loved. Every other condition was great for these tires.

jarrod, did you run yours all through the summer?

Cheers,

Mike

Sure did, looks like they still have plenty of tread left so we will see how they do this winter unless I've traded by then.

I've run dunlop wintersport 3d's on my past 2 vehicles and I love them, and would highly recommend them.. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Winter+Sport+3D&

With that said... Those blizzak lm-25's at $99 each are a steal, I would go with those.

These are what I have although I got them toward the end of last winter so I didn't really have a chance to test them in snow. I was driving on a set of worn Kuhmo Ecstas and had to drive home in a snow storm and white knuckled it all the way home. After that I bought bthese but we didn't get any significant snow after that.

Archived