LegacyGT.com

LED Brake light bulb comparo

Riderice

so autolumination screwed my order up and sent me 3 SMT towers insted of 1 SMT tower and 2 spider lights, so im dealing with that now. none the less i do have all 3 brake lights as SMT towers and I must say I am impressed that they are a little brighter than stock, like I said before though im not expecting the light output of the spider lights to be what the SMT towers are..

btw your tail lights look SICK!, i want the recipe!!

• 1 month later...

ok so i FINALY got my spider lights.. let me tell you I should of taken everyone advise. the sider lights suck, very cheap and fragile - infact i had to tape the base of the light just to keep it from falling apart while installing it. the base was a bit bigger than the hole as well so it required some menovering at wich time it shot off the connector and poped inside of the tail light housing.. after messing around with it, i got it installed.. it looked ok but not great there was no side angle light or much rear light, only forward facing light wich was about half as bright as the LED's im using now and you could not tell when the breaks were press. needless to say i only installed it for 5 sec., took it out and put my original LED's back in and did not even bother to take a pic because of how crappy it looked.

at this point the only safe and bright LED tail lights I would recomend are the SMT Tower III's, they are only 13 bucks a pop and are about 15-20% brighter than the stock incandesent bulb. im sure the $25 bulbs are a little brighter, but i cannot comment on them as i have no personal experience, All i can say is the $13 ones work awesome, i have my 3rd break light as well with SMT Tower III and it looks great. ill have to post some pics but not sur ehow much justice they will do.

next I will be doing LED rear blinkers as well (mostlikly the 25$ bulbs since the SMT Tower III's only come in Red, and White) I want to stay with amber only because it is more noticable and it might be brighter with the 25$ bulbs since there are more LED's and the fact that there is no red, or amber filter to darken the color..

Just a note, while the white LEDs will look brighter than the red ones outside of the lens, they will be dimmer behind a red lens. A white LED is shifted more towards the blue end of the spectrum, but putting it behind a red lense, you are filtering out the blue and green wavelengths, cutting the output quite a bit. A red LED outputs just at the red end of the spectrum, so little light is filtered out.

Incandescent on left, 15LED Wide Angle White LED on right.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1125/1485637562_a0ee0753df.jpg

In this picture, both are red 15LED Wide Angle bulbs.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1388/1484783293_b1659761f4.jpg

You can see that the red LEDs are brighter than the white one above.

If you're using white LEDs, you might get better results with red ones.

• 5 years later...
This isn't the best thread for your query. However, I'll point you in the right direction. Is this an Outback wagon or sedan? If this is a wagon, the high mount brake lamp is an LED unit. The entire assembly has to be replaced. It is accessed by following the instructions for removing the liftgate 'spoiler'. Before doing this, I would verify the wires that power this unit are intact. Start with this; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wagons-beware-tailgate-electricals-161086.html
Q-Ship.

You are incorrect sir.

Outback sedans were produced from I believe Gen 2 through the Gen 4 '07 model year. They were somewhat popular here in the New England (north eastern) part of the US. Check this one out ; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/geckos-obp-outback-sedan-3-0r-ll-bean-213989.html

Also, please use the google for further research into the Outback SUS.

Q-Ship.

Upon further analysis, these JDM ASTAR bulbs appear a bit dim. The search continues.

Also, the front turn signals/parking light sockets on my wagon are 3157CK. 3157A (for amber) LED's will result in a short that will blow fuse 14 under the driver side dash.

3157A incandescent bulbs have no polarity and work in CK sockets. But I digress.

Q-Ship.

• 10 months later...

Archived