LegacyGT.com

Snapped tophat bolt....now what?

sleeper8406

So i noticed today that one of the tophat bolts on my newly installed specB struts is snapped off. I had a shop put these on, the fronts anyway I did the rears myself.

Is this hard to fix, can I do it myself; if so what do i need to do it.

Any help would be much appreciated

IMG_0148.thumb.jpg.51bcdaecece066d15f64f0d04f7ae51f.jpg

Geez. You do not need spring compressor if you don't need to remove tophat from the strut (which you shouldn't). And with this suspension you don't need spring compressor at all even if you were to remove the top hat.

The bad news is Subaru doesn't sell the studs separately. It should be possible to find a replacement but otherwise you'll have to buy new top hat.

Geez. You do not need spring compressor if you don't need to remove tophat from the strut (which you shouldn't). And with this suspension you don't need spring compressor at all even if you were to remove the top hat.

Rears are NOT under tension when off the car. Fronts ARE under tension and do require a spring compressor

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Rears are NOT under tension when off the car. Fronts ARE under tension and do require a spring compressor

Don't argue with me about suspension installs. The tension is minimal even with stock springs, and non-existent with lowering springs. I disassembled (and assembled) numerous sets without spring compressor. As long as you're not putting your face two inches away from the top hat it's perfectly safe.

Don't argue with me about suspension installs. The tension is minimal even with stock springs, and non-existent with lowering springs. I disassembled (and assembled) numerous sets without spring compressor. As long as you're not putting your face two inches away from the top hat it's perfectly safe.

Maybe it's not safe on your crappy Outback suspension... which indeed is not safe to use.

unclemat, I know you know just about everything when it comes to suspension stuff for the Legacy Gt. But damn do you have to be so cocky and rude about giving your knowledge to everyone? I know you have done it to me on more then one occasion. Everyone is here to learn.

And since i just installed konis and ralliteks on my LGT last weekend i would go ahead and say you need a spring compressor just to be safe.

I am not "cocky and rude" to everyone, only to a select few who spread misinformation with authority. You are included.

You need a spring compressor to take off take apart an OEM LGT front suspension. I just did the install last weekend...

I think unclemat is just standing up for the forum when bold statements are made such as "spring compressors are needed".

A correct statement to make:

As always is the case, spring compressors are the safest option, but are are not needed by any means if proper installation procedures and precautions are covered. i.e. don't be looking down the barrel of your tophat when removing the nut. same goes for the other end. Be safe and smart.

If you are using an impact wrench, its even safer and actually very easy w/o spring compressors. Spring compressors are purely optional and not absolutely required for the install.

If you are using an impact wrench, its even safer and actually very easy w/o spring compressors.

As specified by Subaru and most strut manufacturers, impact guns are not to be used to remove or install the top hat. If the impact gun spins the nut and threaded section instead of spinning just the nut, you can damage the seals of the strut.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

+1 for needing spring compressors. When I was removing the stock spring during my iON install on my USDM bilsteins a few weeks ago, I nearly got bit by a flying top hat when I removed the top nut, because apparently I didn't have the spring compressed quite far enough when I went to remove the nut. Had I not used compressors at all, that thing might have rocketed off and taken a finger with it.... maybe that's just the bilsteins though....

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

unclemat, I know you know just about everything when it comes to suspension stuff for the Legacy Gt. But damn do you have to be so cocky and rude about giving your knowledge to everyone? I know you have done it to me on more then one occasion. Everyone is here to learn.

And since i just installed konis and ralliteks on my LGT last weekend i would go ahead and say you need a spring compressor just to be safe.

With Rallitek and Konis I am not sure you could do it without one, at least I couldn't.

Archived