LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy Fuel Mileage

A new poster to this site and really like it alot. Nice layout and there seems to be quite a bit of chatter on the new Legacy. Saw a topic on NASIOC concerning a USA Today review of the new Leg. Very positive overall but the one thing that jumped out at me was the actual fuel mileage figures of 17 for the OBXT and 15 for the GT. I am coming from an Integra GSR where a really bad gas day, including auto-x's, was 26 mpg. I know that you have to pay to play and the tester was probably pretty heavy on the throttle, but these are SUV numbers. What are new owners seeing in their real world driving?

People are JUST getting these cars off the lots. EPA ratings are 19/25 for the GT models. I've heard of a few in the 26-27mpg range during break-in so far. I expect to be in the teens with some good backroad and racing driving. That's what happens when you have boost.

Just received my new Car and Driver with the OBXT review. Their observed mileage with the turbo was 19 and they tend to be pretty tough testers. (If memory serves me correct, the STi recorded 13 mpg in the head to head vs. the Evo.) That appears to be a bit more promising. Haven't had a chance to read the actual article.

I'd imagine they won't be too far off the 2.5i's ability when you run mostly off-boost. Some STi owners have actually gotten just north of 30mpg. :o Pretty amazing, but the gearing works well for it. My GT is rated at 26/27 highway, and once I was able to achieve 29.75mpg (would have been about 32 if I hadn't hit the back roads hard for about 15 miles.) So it is possible, and the new models are definitely more efficient than the models just 7 years ago (like mine.) I wouldn't be extremely suprised if I was capable of getting 30mpg on that same route I got nearly that in my current car. I can guarantee unless you drag race at the lights all day long, every quarter mile, you won't be getting 13mpg. People I know with STi's can get 19-20mpg with doing some spirited driving mixed with town and highway driving, and do that on a regular basis. That's not much better than my average in a car that has a little over half the power.

[quote name='B4_Maniac']I am looking forward to the increased gas milage... my RX8 gets 13 miles to the galon. I get a 180 miles out of a full tank of gas.. Even after a new ECU flash..[/quote] Holy crap that suxorz. Where is all the gas going - out the tailpipe?

[quote name='ha-evolution'][quote name='B4_Maniac']I am looking forward to the increased gas milage... my RX8 gets 13 miles to the galon. I get a 180 miles out of a full tank of gas.. Even after a new ECU flash..[/quote] Holy crap that suxorz. Where is all the gas going - out the tailpipe?[/quote] Exactly..it is running rich from the factory. Hop over to [url]www.rx8club.com[/url] and you can hear us complain more about it.

[quote name='Drift Monkey']So maybe if you had it tuned so it would run leaner/more efficiently, you'd get better milage?[/quote] Well, I had it reflashed, but I am not going to worry about it now. I am getting rid of it. It is a awsome car, but hurting my wallet. I will get another one one day, mabey 2006. Boxers and Rotaries will be the only two engine types I will buy. But back on topic.. Will the 2.5GT run off of 87 octane?

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'm sure it will run, but as with the WRX, you're supposed to use 91 octane or higher- they say you can use 89 or 87 in a pinch but to take it easy on the car until you refill.

[quote name='jedimaster']I'm sure it will run, but as with the WRX, you're supposed to use 91 octane or higher- they say you can use 89 or 87 in a pinch but to take it easy on the car until you refill.[/quote] Yeah boost + low octane gas = potential knocking. If you're breaking in the engine and keeping the RPMs fairly low, I don't think it will matter much to use a slightly lower octane fuel. But, 91 is still fairly cheap.

Cobb is supposed to have some maps that will work with that in their Accessport. Personally I don't see the reason to run less than 91, you're not saving too much and if you know what you're getting into, it shouldn't be a problem. Should already be taken into account. Every time I look at the gas station sign, 2.13 for regular, 2.29 or so for premium, I've learned there are worse things although it would be nice to be under $2/gal. Don't look at race gas (100-110 octane) then for those of you hitting the strip and AutoX. Just like maintainence, should be accounted for ahead of time.

Archived