LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy Fuel Mileage

Well, here in the SF Bay Area premium gas is nothing to shrug off. Prices for 91 octane start at $2.45 a gallon at the cheap stations and run close to $3.00 at the Chevron's, Union 76's, etc... At least I'm not driving any land barges (SUV's)... :)

I think there's another thread about this somewhere that I've posted on, but I'll add my $.02 here as well. I hear you mgm, premium in the Seattle area is $2.60 or so. Great time for me to buy a new car that gets worse mpg! :roll: Anyway, my GT Wagon is at 20.1 overall (just over 300 miles) and 23.4 on the tank I've had it for. I'm not yet through a full tank of gas so this is according to the multi-function trip computer. Not sure what went on with it before I took possesion but I've been pretty nice to it so far (staying below 4K rpms for the most part and not many WOT runs :wink: :lol: ). I took delivery with 27 miles on the odo, but 10 of those were my test drive before signing on the dotted line. Also, the 23.4 is mixed city/hwy with a ratio of 60/40 or so. I'm quite happy so far. Especially since it's such a blast to drive! Cheers! -Ian

[quote name='goneskiian']Anyway, my GT Wagon is at 20.1 overall (just over 300 miles) and 23.4 on the tank I've had it for.[/quote] That's promising Ian, my WRX drank it's first tank like a Scotsman on Hogmanay!

Folks, I heard (not this is from a dealer) that a recent buyer of a Legacy GT got 30MPG on the highway going from Portland to Bend Oregon. Anyone have better anecdotal data yet? I know that the quoted 19 to 25 range is a range in and of its self for the city and highway miles; i.e. city is 15 to 22MPG and the Highway is 23 to 30MPG. Is this even close to accurate? J.R.

Well considering gearing may be a bit taller than my current GT, revs should be lower and mileage should be rather decent. I think I will be close to 30 here and there depending on where I'm driving and how I'm driving. I've heard of STi's getting 30mpg and heck, driving the backroads spirited with a couple of STi owners they were even getting 20mpg, so I don't think it will be as bad is it might look in the books. BTW, regular down to 1.96 on average around here, premium still around 2.16 or so. WI is one of the higher taxed states though. Part of the reason, that and transporting the fuel up here I'd imagine.

Now, I am not stupid, just ignorant on the details around cars (but I am picking things up fast). I'm educated and am guessing the gearing numbers that I hear are multiples of the base 1st gear? i.e. the larger the gear ratio, the more distance covered per stroke of the engine, but less. Like saying a 4in radius disc will cover more ground than a 3in radius disc per revolution. i.e. the higher the gear ratio, the lower the RPMs to maintain a cruising speed, but the less responsiveness to acceleration? So a 4.11 ratio means better cruising MPG, but less responsive. A ratio of 3.x yields worse fuel economy, but lunges better when rev'd? J.R.

JR, you got the gearing thing backwords as I understand your thinking. Think 4.444 as high revs where 3.900 is low revs. So if you want economy, the lower the number the better. The gears themselves are not ratios of each other, they're reduction from the engine drive. So if the input shaft is spinning at 3000rpm, 1st gear has a ratio of 3.0:1, therefore the output shaft will be spinning at 1000rpm not taking into account differentials. Just an example. There is more to it, but that's the very basics of gearing. (I don't even want to get into planetary geartrains like the autos use, that stuff is a major PITA.)

Archived