LegacyGT.com

Downpipe Issue

jamato998

without the tune you will not benefit from the dp, and could cause problems. If its a $ issue you should get the AP and flash to stage 1. That way when you have enough for the downpipe you can just flash to stage 2 and you'll be fine.

or you can do open source tuning for a fraction of the price of the AP, and get the downpipe at the same time

I hate how little control the MAF based system that Subaru uses has over our cars. I feel like I'm dealing with plebeian technology on these vehicles. The VW MAP based system I'm used to working with utilizes wide-band O2 sensors and gives the ECU so much control over the vehicle that it can readjust settings when you do basic bolt-ons. Anyways, my rant aside, you have some options for a tune. An OTS (off the shelf) map such as Cobb, opensource tuning or a pro-tune. Use the search feature on here to look up the various types and figure out what suits you best. Personally I like the ease, convenience and security of an OTS tune from Cobb, because for 9 months of the year I don't even live remotely close to a Subaru tuner. I would recommend getting an AP, flashing to Stage I and when you have the cash, get the downpipe and figure out what you want to do for a Stage II tune. Weather it be stick with a Cobb OTS map, or have a tune made for your vehicle and stored in your AP.

is the open source better then the accessport

Open source tune is done specific to your own vehicle and mods. Tunes can be adjusted to your needs and wants. Infamous1 offers these types of tunes. Although I haven't dealt with him directly I have not heard of any members who were unhappy with his results.

Also allows you to get a tune specific to your car which many would argue is better than Cobb's pre loaded maps in the AP for a fraction of the price of an AP.

This way you could get a DP and tune for a fraction of the price of a DP and AP with better results.

And what is your supporting information/reasoning for this statement?

I would say consider it your nod to the environment.

If you search you will also see people fouling up their bumpers and unhappy with the smell of uncatted exhaust systems.

Of course if it's just a weekend racer and not a DD I would suggest going catless.

I would say consider it your nod to the environment.

If you search you will also see people fouling up their bumpers and unhappy with the smell of uncatted exhaust systems.

Of course if it's just a weekend racer and not a DD I would suggest going catless.

Maybe I'm more tolerant than most then. I ran a full 3" non-resonated exhaust on my GTI DD and it never bothered me. The smell isn't a big issue really. Well not to me it wasn't. I understand the whole good for the environment thing, maybe I'm just too suborn to really bother though.

I don't know about NY or the NE area but here in EPA Nazi-land (aka California) they set up stealth sniffers. Also if you get pulled over and the cop sees no cat you're SOL'd.

I've already got one (very) gross polluter so I want to play it safe with my daily driver! :lol:

I don't know about NY or the NE area but here in EPA Nazi-land (aka California) they set up stealth sniffers. Also if you get pulled over and the cop sees no cat you're SOL'd.

I've already got one (very) gross polluter so I want to play it safe with my daily driver! :lol:

NY is pretty damn strict. They did away with our sniffers years ago and only use the OBDII readiness test. Is a cop really gonna look under the car to see if there is a cat?

NY state inspection is nothing next to CA smog law.

I have lived in both states.

In CA if a cop looks under the car and sees no cat it is a $2500 fine. Yes they look, especially at WRX's and STi's. Some cops also carry sniffers for on the spot smog checks. NY is nothing next to CA. That's why so many parts are 49 state legal. CA is the lone exception. The "cat" on my Cobb DP is considered a resonator to the state of CA.

CARB Sucks!

NY state inspection is nothing next to CA smog law.

I have lived in both states.

In CA if a cop looks under the car and sees no cat it is a $2500 fine. Yes they look, especially at WRX's and STi's. Some cops also carry sniffers for on the spot smog checks. NY is nothing next to CA. That's why so many parts are 49 state legal. CA is the lone exception. The "cat" on my Cobb DP is considered a resonator to the state of CA.

CARB Sucks!

:spin: That blows

Posted by RJS5689:

And what is your supporting information/reasoning for this statement?

This is what Christian wrote in the "What's Cobb up to now" thread:

One thing I need to make sure everyone understands. Due to the revised boost control system in the newer Subarus, we will not be able to make OTS maps for catless exhaust systems. These smaller turbos with the revised boost control systems will require at least one high-flow catalyst to be installed in order to create some exhaust gas back-pressure after the turbo.

As with some vehicles, the combination of a larger bottom end, very effective boost control system (mechanically), and smaller turbo...having at least one high-flow catalyst installed after the turbo will be a requirement. Otherwise the turbo is likely to overrun given the above facts. Keeping the turbo under control will require some exhaust gas back-pressure behind the turbo. With the modern stainless steel substrate catalysts, I highly doubt much if any power will be left on the table if your run with at least one high-flow catalyst. Not to mention the air quality will be much improved by allowing exhaust gases to process through a catalyst.

If you choose to run a catless exhaust, you will likely need a custom tune.

You have an '08. He is talking about '07+ which includes me too. It looks to me like some members are gutting the first cat from the downpipe but keeping the second as a cheap compromise.

Hanslo

This is what Christian wrote in the "What's Cobb up to now" thread:

You have an '08. He is talking about '07+ which includes me too. It looks to me like some members are gutting the first cat from the downpipe but keeping the second as a cheap compromise.

Hanslo

:spin::spin: I never thought that tuning my European car would be easier and more hassle free than tuning my damn Subaru.

I got the invidia catless dp and its a nice piece.....coating it would be nice to keep underhood temps down although it wont look as "bling" under the hood....

With the dp, it would be good to have the AP to get rid of the 02 code if it goes off,...I think the 02 sensor sees too much flow downstream and throws the code....Plus it would be good to have the power flash as well..

Im not sure what you are running...but I would install Uppipe, dp, catback, and later if you got the funds, Grimmspeed or other type headers,...all this along with a tune via AP, or better yet dyno-tuned with PDX, or the other vendors to get it right....

Archived