LegacyGT.com

Looking to buy a 2.5i

So i'm looking at buying a legacy 2.5i wagon to replace my current 98 legacy wagon so I know alot about subarus. So what should I look at? my budget is low so I was looking at 2005's but the 2006's have a bump in power. what caused this? Also how reliable are the ej25's? My ej22 is pretty much bulletproof.

Another thing i'm worried about is exhaust, any catbacks available or will I have to go custom?

So i'm looking at buying a legacy 2.5i wagon to replace my current 98 legacy wagon so I know alot about subarus. So what should I look at? my budget is low so I was looking at 2005's but the 2006's have a bump in power. what caused this? Also how reliable are the ej25's? My ej22 is pretty much bulletproof.

Another thing i'm worried about is exhaust, any catbacks available or will I have to go custom?

Can't go wrong with a Subaru Legacy :) I have a 2005 myself, I love it. The power increase from 2005 to 2006 is from the AVLS or Advanced Valve Lift System, you can find more info about it on here http://www.drive.subaru.com/Spring07_whatmakes.htm . I would have to say the EJ25 is pretty much bullet proof, not much has changed. It's pretty rare when you hear of someone blowing their engine.

Any of the GT cat back exaust sytems will bolt right up to our 2.5i's. I suggest Rallietek.com and their AVO catback.

is the AVLS system really worth it? Will I see a good increase in gas mileage? Also does the 2005 have old style exhaust setup so I could put some borla headers on it with ease?

The 3" piping of the GT aftermarket exhaust systems is overkill for a 2.5i. Although it will fit, you would benefit more from a custom 2.25" exhaust.

As far as I know, nobody makes a 2.5i specific cat-back exhaust. I find it strange how overpriced the Cobb and AVO axleback systems are. I would recommend these, but it's cheaper to just get two universal mufflers welded on. Magnaflow makes good quality mufflers.

just as I thought I guess I would have to look into getting a custom 2.25" catback.

Can anyone find that thread on how to make the borlas fit?

Also no one has specified if its worth getting the 2006 model for the AVLS.

I'm running a custom axleback but will probably seek out a stainless catback for GT just because the winters here are too harsh on anything but stainless...

You can search on my posts for details on the borlas...

I'm going to research it a bit more but it's the only way to get stainless without $$$ custom setup.

Also, might be able to compensate for it with some tuning in future, but not sure. As long as it's not 3" all the way through, it shouldn't be too bad. I'm running 2.25 or 2.5" now (can't remember which).

if you dont ever do any internals works on your engine you'll never need an exhaust diameter bigger then 2.25"

If you plan to get PnP and aggressive cams then I suggest you go with 2.5"

Also no one has specified if its worth getting the 2006 model for the AVLS.

http://www.drive.subaru.com/Spring07_whatmakes.htm All the info that you will ever need! It basically says you have the best of both worlds with horsepower and better emmisons.

and the exaust... just do the hogzaust mod for a $1.50+/- in parts. No joke, it sounds good! Here is a video of it. And I must admit this video doesn't do the mod actual justice. Sounds much better in person.... Don't take my word for it, check out what others are saying here http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35764

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMWnW-UJdws]YouTube - 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 0-60 with some hogzaust[/ame]

I hope this answers all your questions, and best of luck choosing a car. BTW, a 2005 gets just as good gas mileage as a 2006+ with AVLS. Here is another video of me on the freeway with my Legacy getting some HELLA GOOD GAS MILEAGE! [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCpj4Jbv7o8]YouTube - 2005 Subaru Legacy 40 MPG Part 2[/ame]

To the OP DO NOT DO THE HOGZUAST your car will sound terrible. that only works best for LGT's:cool: something you should know there isnt a restrict part of our Stock exhaust :eek: Yeah! The cats don't restrict the piping is HUGE and the mufflers flow well for what our engines put out. I would say replace the mid pipe and the mufflers of just get mufflers if you want to keep it simple. ;)

hmmm whats the size of the exhaust diameter? I know these engines only flow 200CFM when they're stock and a 2" exhaust is good enough for that. I guess all I would need to do is buy some borlas and a axle back and it will be good enough.

Also no one has chimed in about the 2006 model and AVLS. Can anyone school me on that and tell me if its worth buying or not? thanks.

Also no one has chimed in about the 2006 model and AVLS. Can anyone school me on that and tell me if its worth buying or not? thanks.

Yeah I did... "It basically gives the best of both worlds with horsepower and better emmisons. "

Also, if read this link. It will give you all the information you need on AVLS http://www.drive.subaru.com/Spring07_whatmakes.htm

To the OP DO NOT DO THE HOGZUAST your car will sound terrible. that only works best for LGT's:cool: something you should know there isnt a restrict part of our Stock exhaust :eek: Yeah! The cats don't restrict the piping is HUGE and the mufflers flow well for what our engines put out. I would say replace the mid pipe and the mufflers of just get mufflers if you want to keep it simple. ;)

Ohh! It's GEE-OTTO for the flame!

http://hollywoodphony.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/you-re-gay1.jpg

hmmm sorry dont know how I missed that.

I heard it was easiyer to run agressive cams with the AVLS since they only regrind the high cam lobes so you dont have any idle problems. Thanks for all the info guys.

FWIW, '06+ header is different than '05- .
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

the SPT catbacks fit the 2.5i, the piping is the same, bolts right up

but, the problem in the wagon is that the tips will be tucked in more unless you extend them

Very true just ask Black Fang he has one installed on his 2.5i and sound very good. Only thing that would make it better are Borlas

Ohh! It's GEE-OTTO for the flame!

http://hollywoodphony.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/you-re-gay1.jpg

I only do this once per dumbass. So.... If you are upset b/c you didn't like a post or answer given tough sh*t!! Don't migrate across threads spewing stupidity directed at me or anybody else you don't agree with thinking it will earn you style points you only connote immaturity, foolishness, and lack of intellect. Get over it people stay things in my thread I don't agree with and they will in your threads in the future. Get over it and get a life and make informative posts and stop polluting other threads with your BS. You're acting like a menstruating teenage cheerleader that got dumped :eek:

I only do this once per dumbass. So.... If you are upset b/c you didn't like a post or answer given tough sh*t!! Don't migrate across threads spewing stupidity directed at me or anybody else you don't agree with thinking it will earn you style points you only connote immaturity, foolishness, and lack of intellect. Get over it people stay things in my thread I don't agree with and they will in your threads in the future. Get over it and get a life and make informative posts and stop polluting other threads with your BS. You're acting like a menstruating teenage cheerleader that got dumped :eek:

Ohh uhhh! It's the forum Troll! Hey, that sounds a lot like what I said to you the other day!? LOG OFF

Archived