LegacyGT.com

STS woes--advice?

Hey all--

I suppose I should start by saying that my last ride was an 07 MazdaSpeed 6. The shifter was very short, quick, & uber-precise. Felt as though if you so much as started to press the shifter in any direction, it would almost magically spring to the desired gear with no hesitation & extremely little effort. It was low, appropriately notchy, & astonishingly short. It was also stock.

Alas, when my 2-yr lease came up, the residual was so high on the Mazda that it didn't make sense to purchase (payment DOUBLE what my lease was? For twice as long?? BAH) & so I came to my 09 Legacy 2.5i 5 MT.

Even when testing the Subie, though, I knew I'd have to shorten that long throw, so I had the dealership install the Subaru STi STS. I thought "Hey, I'm done with it. Great."

Unfortunately for me, that's not the case. The STi STS can only be described as a "medium-throw" shifter (at best). It still rides too high. And though it has smoothed out a bit in action after the first 1000 miles, it still requires major muscle to put into 1st (hard) & reverse (very hard).

I've read many tributes in LGT's, but has anyone had great short-throw success with another after-market STS in a 2.5i? The long, hard-jam muscle aching shifting is the only thing I detest about my new 2.5i. I am aware I was spoiled with the Mazda, but can their shifting mechanism be THAT superior to Subaru's?

Another thought--perhaps just the bushings?

Any advice on available uber-short & no-muscle-required after-market STS's for the NA Legacy would be greatly appreciated. Frustration level = moderate to high.

Thank you very much for your time!

:)

Thx GEE OTTO--which do you use? Would you recommend it or go with another?

PS--your car looks strangely familiar.... ;)

Sweet--thanks TP!

I'll check it out--compatible with NA Legacy? (I noticed you drive LGT)

I am 90% sure, yes. BTW, you can get the Cobb STS to throw even shorter of you vut one of the angular brackets in the shifter schrouding. Search for it, the illustrate on the install walkthrough. GL
Rehab is for quitters.

i think your mazda was really easy to shift because its a cable operated shifter. the only cable operated shifter i've driven was in 07 civic si and mini cooper s. they were easier to shift but had no feedback and the sounds they made reminded me of an arcade shifter.

just do what everyone is reccomending plus get a heavy shift knob so the shifter just falls right in each shift.

i think your mazda was really easy to shift because its a cable operated shifter. the only cable operated shifter i've driven was in 07 civic si and mini cooper s. they were easier to shift but had no feedback and the sounds they made reminded me of an arcade shifter.

just do what everyone is reccomending plus get a heavy shift knob so the shifter just falls right in each shift.

You know, it's interesting--I was surfing the forums & came across this thread:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98845&highlight=cobb+kartboy+sts

Perhaps since I do have the STi STS in place, I'll try a low-screw Momo knob & see how much that helps. Will keep everyone posted! :)

What do people think about the stock bushings? Anyone decide to replace them & have nice results? And if so, which after-market bushings did you select?

I dont know if you know but just an FYI. The STI STS has shorter throws by the linkage. That is why the shifter is about the same height as stock.

Other shifters use shorter sticks to be an STS. Some people get both the STI and a Cobb or Kartboy for a really short throw.

^^^^ Yup if a person suggest bending linkages to get a shorter throw laugh at them that is not a good idea The above post is the short combo possible you will have to spend extra cash if you dont find a deal on the STI/SPT parts. BUT there is a company that makes cheaper shorter shafts :lol: than Kartboy or Cobb couple that with the SPT linkage and you will have something near similar to what you are used to bro

Most excellent! Thank you GEE-OTTO & F-WDC. :)

I do have the STi STS (installed @ dealership).

Do they automatically upgrade to SPT linkage when the STS is installed or is that an additional option? I'm not savvy enough to be able to tell.... :(

Most excellent! Thank you GEE-OTTO & F-WDC. :)

I do have the STi STS (installed @ dealership).

Do they automatically upgrade to SPT linkage when the STS is installed or is that an additional option? I'm not savvy enough to be able to tell.... :(

The SPT STS is the complete linkage package so you have the better linkages now shop around for a shorter shifter and install that along with the linkages and bushings if you dont like the feel of the SPT many people say kartboy or CObb urethane bushings make the setup. But glad to help :wub:

Archived