LegacyGT.com

LGT vs G35 or altima se-r

Still shopping around for a car. need something with a big backseat, big enough for my sons carseat. something powerful and good handeling. the LGT has all these feature but its always good to see what else is out there. anyone cross shop these when buying their car? i found a few G35 sedans 04 for sub 15. love the vq motor and has a lot of potention but i've always hated working on v6 motors as there is hardly anyroom in the bay. but vq motor is on wards best engine list for like 6 years. and the altima se-r has the same motor and more room in back. although its a little over played as everyone has altimas and their styling is just okay... but performance and reliablity is more important that looks.

what do you guys think? lgt vs these vq cars?

If your looking for space to work on the engine, the LGT doesnt have much space to work around either. Spark plug changes are a PITA, changing the UP pipe, turbo, etc arent quick tasks either. Not to say they are bad cars, just if working on an engine is a must for you, they dont have a whole lot of play room.

The back seat has plenty of room for small kids, but not a huge amount for large adults (I'm 6' 3" and my seat is all the way back, leaving almost no room behind me).

I know pontiac is going belly up, but the G8 isnt bad. The BMW 325i is pricey, but same type of category, the nissan maxima isnt bad either. Those are about all the same type of category cars that i would consider, but the LGT still came out on top for me.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

The new caprice isnt necessarily ugly, its just kinda plain looking. But if its got the LS2/3 thats in the GT or GXP, might be a decent car.

Thats the rumor anyway, it will have v6 versions aswell like the base g8.

Thats the rumor anyway, it will have v6 versions aswell like the base g8.

Of course it will... Just like the camaro has a v6... Its for all the people who want to look like they have a nice car, but really cant afford it. Or so they can say they are being environmentally aware because a v6 is so much better on gas... *cough*

My personal thoughts is, make a muscle car a muscle car and nothing else... The camaro should never come out with a V6... It should have a V8 and a supercharged V8, thats it.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Altima SE-R, FWD with the VQ has terrible torque steer. FWIW, the VQ is a great engine but timing chains around 100K will cost you a pretty penny. Also coil pack problems, very expensive to replace. The G is a totally different platform, prone to noisy/squeaky suspension problems.

Altima SE-R, FWD with the VQ has terrible torque steer. FWIW, the VQ is a great engine but timing chains around 100K will cost you a pretty penny. Also coil pack problems, very expensive to replace. The G is a totally different platform, prone to noisy/squeaky suspension problems.

All the g35 owners and 350z owners i know have grinding issues with there 6 speed manuals. Dont know if these cars use the same tranny. 2 of the owners my autn and friend have had there 6 speeds repalced multiple times and neither car has more than 60kmiles

Never really liked peaky engines. Which is what a vq engine is

Peaky? have you drove or seen the dyno on this motor? these motors torque is flat as your kitchen table. if anything the lgt is peaky in comparison.

I have driven many and you feel almost no power until 5krpms. I feel the same gs in my legacy at 3krpms as i do in my friends 350z at almost 5k is what i mean. Sure the power curve will be linear because its a N/A car but it doesnt even start making a decent amount of power until higher in the rpms.

All the g35 owners and 350z owners i know have grinding issues with there 6 speed manuals. Dont know if these cars use the same tranny. 2 of the owners my autn and friend have had there 6 speeds repalced multiple times and neither car has more than 60kmiles

Sucks, the new civics had the same issue but honda finally released a tbn... i know a few pwople that own them and never heard them complain? does it grind or pop out of gear? from most of the magzine reviews they consider the lgt to be notchy! the few impreza i've driven felt okay to me.

didn't know that the vq used a time belt either. when will manufactors see the benefit of a timing chain instead of the belt...

Sucks, the new civics had the same issue but honda finally released a tbn... i know a few pwople that own them and never heard them complain? does it grind or pop out of gear? from most of the magzine reviews they consider the lgt to be notchy! the few impreza i've driven felt okay to me.

didn't know that the vq used a time belt either. when will manufactors see the benefit of a timing chain instead of the belt...

They grind, not pop out. Its usually multiple gears that grind. With my buddies 350z it started roughly 15kmiles after it was replaced each time. They told my friend it was the 03/04 350z that has the grinding problems and the 05 and up fixed the problem, yet the last two tranny put in his car have been out of 05+s to try and solve the problem and the grinding continues.

Just go to google and put in 350z transmission grinding, there are pages of threads from real world owners having issues.

Peaky? have you drove or seen the dyno on this motor? these motors torque is flat as your kitchen table. if anything the lgt is peaky in comparison.

No, the NA engines like the VQ series has a flat torque curve, but a very peaky hp curve.

Turbo engines are reverse, peaky torque curve, almost flat hp curve (from 4500-6500 rpms)

I'm pretty sure they went to a timing chain at least back to '02, except for the Xterra.

The new caprice isnt necessarily ugly, its just kinda plain looking. But if its got the LS2/3 thats in the GT or GXP, might be a decent car.

Believe that they killed the caprice idea for now...the g8 gt had the L89 I believe, not the LS2 (L89 I believe is an LS2 with D.O.D.)

Well considering hp is only a calculation not sure you feel it really. and the LGT does have a lot more power down low with the turbo spooling up below 3k your hitting max tq around 3.5k and drops off around 5k or so. a n/a motor will always feel slower than a turbo motor simply due to the lack of low end tq. but trust in terms of flat power curves the VQ motors are on the top of the list.

sucks how every car has trade offs and there isn't just one perfect car out there. the LGT turbo issue sucks but i'd rather replace a turbo than a tranny

Believe that they killed the caprice idea for now...the g8 gt had the L89 I believe, not the LS2 (L89 I believe is an LS2 with D.O.D.)

Caprice is dead.

G8 GT has the L76, which is basically an LS3 w/ cylinder cutout in certain cruise conditions.

Caprice is dead.

G8 GT has the L76, which is basically an LS3 w/ cylinder cutout in certain cruise conditions.

You are completely correct, took it off the top of my head during a brain fart

I had the chance to run a couple of well-driven SE-Rs at the drag strip of course, and I managed to outpull AND outstop them both and it was 6MT vs AT. It's kind of sad since they come with Brembo brakes. If I wanted an Altima then I guess I'd go for the "top performer" SE-R, if not anything else then just for the 6-speed MT, but then again the new Altimas get the 6-speed AND a bump in power. A lot larger inside though, especially in the back, so the SE-R might fit the bill better for you.

I think, opie, that you are mixing too many flavors. AWD, FWD, RWD. At least decide which platform you'd rather have and that will help weed through some of your choices.

Archived