LegacyGT.com

Short Throw Shifter questions

DarkLegacy

Install is easy. Benefit is shorter shift throws.

You'll get an increase in notchiness, and an increase in the effort required to shift. The former is significant to some, the latter is marginal.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I have the Kartboy STS + bushings on my SpecB. Had the same setup on my WRX. I won't own a car without a short shifter. Driving is more fun, I can flip my wrist to change gears when crusing through stop and go rush hour traffic. Shifting feels more precise. I recommend the KArtboy STS kit to everyone.

I installed both with the a little help from a friend. The 6spd took longer to install than the 5 speed because you have to run the "reverse" cable to the collar through the shifter itself. Should take about 1 hour on the 5 speed.

Will I have to remove center console trim in order to install... I am just worried about breaking the trim...

You'll be fine. Just be careful. Don't pull too hard. I am not a mechanic and this was an easy install. You have to start somewhere, this is a good place to get your feet wet and learn a little something about your car...

DarkLegacy - It's one of the easiest jobs I've ever done, outside of replacing an air filter.

Just take your time, always apply pressure lightly and gradually building until you achieve your objective, and be careful with the trim parts. Make sure you have ALL the tools and such that you need beforehand. I would recommend a pair of snap-ring pliers, though people have done fine without them it took me about 15 minutes to undo the snap-ring with a pair of needle nose....

The benefit, for me, was vastly reduced shift knob height and throw length. The shifter is no longer in the way of either the radio or climate control buttons at all. I did have excess notchiness and swapping to a better trans fluid seems to have cured that.

Joe

Thanks for the advice... I have done my tb exhaust, top mount, brake lines, up-pipe install, radiator flush, intake replace, brakes, etc... myself... I just dont want to crack the trim

It's actually very difficult to crack or break the trim. It's NOT hard to scratch it though, so be careful.

I adjusted my STS about 6-8 times, meaning I took all the trim off that many times. I never scratched it, but it's no longer a super-tight fit where it meets the cup-holder trim.

Okay... I was always nervous about that install... but now I feel pretty confident I can do it with no problems... I am going to stop by sears after work and see if I can pick up a pair of snap ring pliers...

Thanks Joe

DarkLegacy this takes about 20 minutes or so, You'll need 2 12mm wrenchs, box or socket both should fit just fine, some vinyl gloves (for the grease) some axle packing grease if you want to repack the sleeve with new grease once you're done and to remove the center console.

I just did mine with a kartboy STS without doing the bushings, on saturday, Shifting is after, though stiffer, I like it, though if I were daily driving this thing I might keep the stock, as shifting the stock (With it's extra 1") is slightly easier to shift.

Winning the internet

cool thanks guys... I think I am going to install the sts and see how it feels... If I need the bushings, then I'll just buy them.

Yeah that's what I would recommend. No point in spending extra money on something you may not want or ever use.

Winning the internet

Well, I installed the sts last night around 11pm... It took me about 40 minutes b/c I bought a cheap pair of snap ring pliers... and the broke... but luckily it came with extra head attachments and the extra attachment was not easy to put on... The sts feels a little more notchy and it really feels like it locks into gear... It will take a little time to get used too but overall.... I LIKE IT! :icon_bigg

notchier?!? what about the ones where you can adjust the height? will it also be notchy? i've been looking at the Group A adjustable sts. i don't mind the stock height. i just want the throws to be a little shorter and more solid.

Archived