LegacyGT.com

Change oil filter with full crankcase/oil pan?

While under the car, I noticed that the oil filter is vertical. Is it possible to change the oil filter without draining the oil?

The reason I ask is that I wanted to change the oil & filter, but found out that the 30-min oil change monkeys over-tightened :icon_mad: Since the oil had already been drained, the only thing I could've done was to refill it with new oil, and retain the old filter. I plan to take it back to the oil-change place to have them loosen it, and for me to hand-tighten the new one on. Just wanted to make sure that I don't need to get new oil for it. Thanks.

And to add even more background, the previous owner had taken it to oil-change shop. I know better. :)

While under the car, I noticed that the oil filter is vertical. Is it possible to change the oil filter without draining the oil?

The reason I ask is that I wanted to change the oil & filter, but found out that the 30-min oil change monkeys over-tightened :icon_mad: Since the oil had already been drained, the only thing I could've done was to refill it with new oil, and retain the old filter. I plan to take it back to the oil-change place to have them loosen it, and for me to hand-tighten the new one on. Just wanted to make sure that I don't need to get new oil for it. Thanks.

And to add even more background, the previous owner had taken it to oil-change shop. I know better. :)

If you have a new filter in hand to go on then just take some channel lock pliers to the old one, or spike it with a screw driver to get the leverage to loosen it. It doesn't matter how mangled the old one gets since you've got a new one to replace it with.

Besides the oil within the filter itself, there are a few ounces held above it. When I change my filter I loosen it enough to allow this oil to "leak" out and run down the side of the filter and into a large plastic cup. Once it pretty much stops dripping you can totally unscrew the old filter and if you're lucky you won't drop it and spill the oil it contains all over the place. Even though I have a Fumoto drain valve and I drain out all the extra oil above the filter, I still use an oil drain catch pan under the filter when I take it off since I've made a mess in the past having the hot oily filter slip out of my hand and drop on the garage floor.

(wow, for once rao is being serious)

what rao said is correct. you *might* get a few drops here and there from residual oil dripping, but it wont gush out.

if its too tight, you could invest in one of those one-size-fits all oil filter wrenches that auto tighten and attach to a 3/4 wrench:

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:TeUap461tHJshM:http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/Worlds%20Best%20Oil%20Filter%20Wrench.jpg they look something like that. i use it when heat cycling during the summer makes the oil filters too tight (rarely). it was like, $5 at my local autozone?

I am always serious and helpful :) Now if the OP comes back and says that he has to change the filter so that he can use Korean Market Pennzoil because it will make his car faster and last longer then things might go astray .... :lol:
I can't keep up with the latest and greatest.

Fortunately my local Subaru dealer is also a Kia dealer so I'll have them special order me some of that KDM (Korean Domestic Market) motor oil.

Archived