LegacyGT.com

How to choose a clutch/LSD installer?

Th3Franz

I'm looking to upgrade the clutch and front diff this fall. The current plan is an ACT HD clutch and WRX flywheel with a helical LSD (haven't picked the exact one yet). I have contacted a few shops about getting the work done and the prices are about the same. The good shops I contacted are in Chicago area, about 200 miles from here.

I'm not too worried about the clutch install being done properly, however the LSD install is more uncommon. From my understanding, the differential install can be more tricky because of how the new diff needs to be aligned in the case. If someone doesn't know how to install a diff, I assume they'll mess it up.

Basically are there any certifications or training the installer should have for doing the job right? Are there any specific questions I can ask to gauge if the installer knows wtf he is talking about? :lol:

I'm willing to make the drive to Chi-town but if I can find a good place closer to home that would be ideal. I'm somewhat familiar with getting the clutch work done but I'm not at all familiar with getting a new differential installed, which is why I am not attempting this job myself. ;)

An ASE cert in Transmissions and Transaxles is a big plus. Try and find a good, reputable speed shop and ask them. A place like that should have experience in setting pinion depth, backlash and all the crap that needs to be right for any kind of diff work.

ASE doesnt mean squat. it just means someone passes a standardized test. Find someone who is experianced with subaru transmissions. A master subaur tech who does the reansmission work at a dealership would prolly be your best bet.

It means more when someone who just says "I've been working on cars for x amount of years." But yes, a master tech is a good choice as well because it means they've done the requisite Subaru testing. And are probably ASE as well.

1. Go to Nasioc Drivetrain forum.

2. Find best respected transmission shop in the country.

3. Send them your transmission.

4. Know your ring and pinion aren't going to explode because the job was done right.

5. Relax.

For a helical LSD, PPG is the only way to go. It's less expensive than a Quaife, less maintenance than a Carbonetic clutch-type, and smoother than a Cusco. Expect ~$2000 installed and shipped. Far less than any other LSD worth its salt.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived