LegacyGT.com

Does my AC need to be recharged?

Its been gettin fairly hot here this week, around mid 80's and my AC in my car cant seem to keep up with it. Ive noticed in my work car the AC works great and I actually get cold and have to turn it down, not so much in my legacy.

I put a thermometer in my work car at that read 56 degrees. In my legacy its 62 degrees. Like I said the difference between the two cars is very noticable but I wouldnt think 6 degress would make a big difference. Anyways does my system need to be recharged? My legacy is an 05 with 50K miles on it, could the R134 in it just be going bad? If anyone knows how to drain the system and recharge it id appreciate some help. Thanks

I notice the same thing in my 05. When I first got the car I did a radiator flush with a general tune-up.

The A/C seems to almost pulsate, even on the lowest setting. It get pretty damn cold for like 20 seconds and then not so cold air blowing out for maybe 20 seconds, and this repeats (not warm by any means, just not real cold.) It's almost not even noticeable, but on super hot days it's annoying.

"This is an adventure."

• 2 weeks later...
Try using recirculate. This way, the AC system doesn't have to cool down hot air. Rather, it makes the cool air colder. Or what I usually do, but haven't gotten around to on my new Legacy, is to evacuate the R134 and replace it with synthetic R134, which always makes a difference in my vehicles.

Archived