LegacyGT.com

'08 Legacy does not start

Hey everyone, this morning my wife tried to start up her Legacy (08, NA, Auto) for the first time in several days. She found that her battery was completely dead. As this car has very little wear and tear on it (less then 12k), I figured she just left a dome light on for several days, and a jump start would get her taken care of.

Well, I connected the jumper cables up to my LGT, and rev'ed to about 3K. She attempted to start her Legacy and all I could hear was clicking. Almost as if the starter motor was running, but would not engage? As I was late to work, and running out of options, I had her move the car into neutral, and then back into park. Again, when she tried to start the car, just a clicking noise.

I feel like I just overlooked something. Anyone have any ideas on where I should be looking next?

Thanks,

Ryan

If the starter is actually clicking then it is not the switch but you don't have enough power to turn the starter so let your car idle for a few minutes and then try to stat it again. Once it starts DO NOT shut off the car for quite a while and make sure you drive it.

I have recently read that allowing your car to idle for more than 10 seconds is very dangerous, but you can make an exception in this case :lol:

Thanks for all the feed back guys, and sorry for getting back to this thread so late. Anyway, Saturday morning I reconnected the cables, making sure I had good contact. I spent about five minutes in my car, going from idle to about 3k, somewhat like normal driving. At which point, the wife's car turned over and started up.

I drove it for about 30 minutes and since then its been fine. She left a map light on, and over the course of 5/6 days it just completely drained the battery. I had no idea that I would actually have to wait for her battery to charge a bit before I had enough amps to get it started. Well, I am a little wiser now.

Thanks again,

Ryan

Archived