LegacyGT.com

LGT vs C32

Looking to buy a new, used, car in the coming weeks/months. I was pretty much set on getting a LGT but I just found a lot of C32 amg for around the same price with similar mileage. For about 13-15k I can get either one of these cars with about 60-90k on the odometer. Both cars have their perks and their faults. c32 was out for me when I saw it was an autotragic... but the more i read about it the better it sounds. speedstick with MB putting a lot of money into this technology is suppose to be able to match the performance off the line as any manual. every review puts the car in sub 5 sec 0-60 and low- mid 13s for a quarter mile. But they have their issues too... as does the legacy. In 2002 this car was the fastest in it's class beating the Porsche and M3.

The tech data is below.

I know this is a subaru forum but what do you guys think? The LGT is a hell of a car but the hand-made amg motors seem to be bitchen. Although the legacy reliability might be better it seems the only issue is the turbo's blowing up.... but it seems that if you remove the screen your good to go.

Honest opinions wanted

STANDING-START ACCELERATION

0-30 mph: 2.02 sec

0-40 mph: 2.88 sec

0-50 mph: 4.02 sec

0-60 mph: 5.20 sec

0-100 km/h (62.1 mph): 5.57 sec

0-80 mph: 8.56 sec

0-quarter-mile: 104.5 mph, 13.71 sec

ROLLING ACCELERATION

20-40 mph (second gear): 1.9 sec

40-60 mph (second gear): 2.5 sec

60-80 mph (third gear): 3.8 sec

BRAKING

80 mph-0: 207 ft

60 mph-0: 117 ft

30 mph-0: 29 ft

FUEL MILEAGE

EPA combined: 19.5 mpg

AW overall: 14.6 mpg

HANDLING

490-foot slalom: 45.1 mph

Lateral acceleration

(200-foot skidpad): 0.83 g

INTERIOR NOISE (dBA)

Idle: 45

Full throttle: 74

Steady 60 mph: 65

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is a subaru forum but what do you guys think?

I think you need to consider cost of ownership past the point you sign the loan papers. Maintenance, stuff breaking and having to be replaced. If you can afford it, I would be hard-pressed to tell you NOT to get the C32 but i have a feeling you didn't take all this into consideration. MB maintenance is not cheap by any stretch of imagination.

Also, with the C32, what you get is what you have, unless of course, once again, you got the $$$ to mod. The LGT is not that expensive to mod and bring up to the same or better acceleration and handling of the C32.

Do you want a tuner car, or a car you stick with as is out of the box?

My Stage 2 automatic LGT does 0-60 in 5.5-5.6 without launching, just rolling on the throttle, as clocked on my Accessport.

Also consider the LGT is awd vs. the C32 being rwd. Even with snow tires, the car set in "snow" mode you still are going to be all over the place in snow with the C32 (assuming you live were it snows). At newest iirc a C32 would be a 04 model year, yet still cost you more to insure. Personally I would pass on a C32 unless it is going to be the fun weekend car.

Get the Benz and keep it stock imo. The money you'll be spending to mod a leggy and then maintain that leggy out of warranty is a decent chunk of change too. Benz is fast out of the box, and luxury is top notch, this is something the leggy cant touch.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

it seems that the LGT has a high cost of ownership too. According to all the blown turbo threads Subaru requires you change your oil every 3.5k or sooner. That is a lot of oil changing for someone that averages about 20k a year. Also the C32 actually has some pretty reasonable mods out there. Tuning is only about 600 bucks for stage II with a gain of 22 WHp and 21 WTq.

I agree that the parts can be excessively expensive for the MB but are they that much more than upgrade Subaru parts run? Such as the breaks on the MB stock are slotted and drilled. So replacing them will be $$$ but if you had the same for the LGT it would be $$$ too...

I'll check out other maintance parts. And the insurance I was surprised for my wife and I it would be about 300 difference a year compared to a LGT!

I don't even consider the C32 all that impressive. I worked for Benz for 6 months before being laid off. Never too special. A C55 or the 204 Chassis C63 is a true monster but the 32 was kinda eeeh to us. Good entry level AMG if there is such a thing but that's it. Win:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eOLq07VwSE]YouTube - Mercedes Benz C63 AMG commercial[/ame]

it seems that the LGT has a high cost of ownership too. According to all the blown turbo threads Subaru requires you change your oil every 3.5k or sooner.

With a good synthetic you can go longer than that. In fact there are many owners running 4-5K OCIs. You could do a couple of oil analyses to confirm. If you drive 20K a year that to me says you do some good highway driving, which is easier on the oil.

Also the C32 actually has some pretty reasonable mods out there. Tuning is only about 600 bucks for stage II with a gain of 22 WHp and 21 WTq.

"Only" 600 bucks? That's a significant chunk of change. You can get an e-tune for a Subie for $150. For 600 bucks the whp gains are meh.

I agree that the parts can be excessively expensive for the MB but are they that much more than upgrade Subaru parts run?

Short answer? Yes. To give you another example based on what you wrote above, $600 buys you an Accessport.

Such as the breaks on the MB stock are slotted and drilled. So replacing them will be $$$ but if you had the same for the LGT it would be $$$ too...

You wouldn't have to, the stopping distance on the LGT is reasonable. For the amount you'd have to pay to maintain the brakes on the C, you'd be able to get some Hawk HPS pads and a good synthetic brake fluid for a remarkable change from stock.

To be fair, to match the stock C32 AMG in terms of power, you'd have to go Stage 2 with a manual Legacy GT.

I'll check out other maintance parts. And the insurance I was surprised for my wife and I it would be about 300 difference a year compared to a LGT!

Which way? More or less?

A full brake job on a C32 I think ran about 1000 in parts. Parts alone. Full brakes on a LGT? What, maybe half that with install? And Benz eat tires like it's their jobs. A RWD, 4000LB car with 300+ will destroy tires and brakes in no time so be prepared to spend. As far as tuners, I don't about others but Renntech doesn't even offer C32 parts. They carry C55 and 63 stuff but nothing for the 112 V6.

I think it depends on what you want. Two totally different cars.

With about 5K in mods on an LGT, done right, you can have close to a 440 bhp daily driver awd car, for a hell of a lot cheaper price than an equivalent powered MB.

Plus, I love a sleeper. Other cars don't even know what the hell happened until it's all over :lol:. Put some stock cans on a full exhaust, nicely modded LGT and you have one hell of a sleeper.

A C32 with a pulley and tune can be fun. If you want to go faster after that it gets expensive quick. Think of it as a Crossfire in a fancier package.

I will tell you I'm a Mercedes convert now though. When the LGT is paid off I'll be looking for an E55 or even an S65 for when I need a comfy cruiser that still hauls.

Thanks guys for the feed back. I really want a manual and that is important to me and the fact that the c32 only comes in a autobox really sucks. I figured the build quality would be better than the legacy but it seems i may be wrong. I totally agree the E55 is a freaking Monster I'm in total love. But I have a weak spot for smaller forced induction motors... But I've never been a fan of superchargers. A lot of negative for the C32 honestly, so I'll probably just stick with the LGT but it was a nice idea to throw around. I mean pure luxury car for the same price as a LGT has to be tempting right? But i guess it is unrealistic and really when it boils down to it the LGT has more potential with it's platform and powertrain.

But either way I still need to drive both cars. I guess that will be the deciding factor...

A thousand bucks for brake maintenance alone? Holy crap! There are a lot of parts you can get for a Subie for a grand. As a matter of fact you can go Stage 2 on the LGT and still have money left to spend!

Mmhmm. Between 800-1000. Rotors run, if I remember correctly, $150 each for fronts, maybe 140-150 each for rears, front pads are 125, rears are 100 and sensors are around 10/each with a total of 4 on the car. An oil filter is around 25 with nothing but M1 allowed, fuel filter was about 125, wipers were 25/each.

Somebody said my brother's brakes will be $1k for each rotor. Yay!

http://finddoug.com/cars/05amg/amg17.jpg

Those are 19in wheels btw so the rotors are freakin huge. I'd hate to guess what even just the pads will be.

Those are 19in wheels btw so the rotors are freakin huge. I'd hate to guess what even just the pads will be.

That was also me. Rotors on the CL65 were 980 each and front pads were about 375 for the set. Add another 20 or so for sensors and you're looking at roughly 2500 in parts. For just the front. I used to have a pic of a CL65 rotor. It measured either 15 or 15 1/2 inches in diameter. Not very heavy for the size, though.;)

:lol:

Maybe AMG should stand for All Money Gone since you will be broke after it breaks down?

Classic!

The C32 is cool but Heights is right...you will be broke fixing it.

Rehab is for quitters.

<My Boss has an SL65...that thing is legit. The 1/4 time out of the box is rediculous!

Rehab is for quitters.

Since we're on the subject of Benz, I'll post these here instead of starting a new thread for just a few pics. My boys at MB have an interesting job on their hands. They get to be the first dealer to replace an SLR motor in the world. First ever. There was 2 motors available in the homeland. 2. The 'tard who bought it had it for a few days to a week before deciding to take it out in a rainstorm that turned into a torrential downpour. Well, instead of seeking shelter, he kept going and went through about 18 inches of water and hydrolocked it. Engine price: $180,000. Labor time: 100 hours. Total bill will be between 250 and $275,000.:eek: I snapped these today. The engine pictured is the bad unit. New one hasn't shown up yet but will be shortly. Neat thing is it actually comes with a new trans attached to it.:spin:

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs122.snc1/5250_1177529792197_1046680826_30522353_5970309_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs142.snc1/5250_1177529912200_1046680826_30522355_7275443_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs142.snc1/5250_1177529952201_1046680826_30522356_5019756_n.jpghttp://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs142.snc1/5250_1177529992202_1046680826_30522357_2141529_n.jpg

Archived