LegacyGT.com

Serious Competition for LGT?

Saab has unveiled their next big thing. The MY06 9-3 Combi will feature a turbo-charged V6 Holden (AUS) motor rated at 250 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque. This new engine ties the 9-5 Aero as the most powerful production Saab to date, surpassing the previous generation 9-3 Viggen. In addition it comes with a 6 sp Manual transmission and all of the life saving goodies you would expect from a $40-50,000 (est.) car. Read full article

http://canadianautopress.auto123.com/en/info/roadtest/view.spy?make=Saab&artid=36178&pg=5

Let me know what you think.

Mack

Yeah....no AWD = torque steer galore. 180HP in our Mini Cooper S makes it hard enough to go fast without an LSD. Stupid stability/traction nanny always cuts power when accelerating out of a low-speed corner. LGT is my first AWD car......weird to experience torque steer again in the MCS. I don't think 250 turbo HP and FWD mix very well, given my experience driving a friend's Saab Viggen.

I second John M

There are dozens of slow cars out there making 250+ hp. Look at the Chrysler 300M, it puts out 253hp but does 0-60 in 8 seconds!!! Horsepower ratings don't translate linearly into performance numbers. I'd be willing to bet the Saab would weigh over 3400lbs and put it's 0-60 numbers well over 6, maybe 7 seconds.

In my opinion, the LGTs secret weapon is it's light weight. I still don't understand how they got it to be only 40lbs heavier than the STi...? (STi = 3260lbs. LGT 5MT = 3300lbs.)

Truly magical.

Archived