LegacyGT.com

harman kardon sub

ninjaturtlesM35x

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wagon uses a larger dual voice coil sub. There is definitely enough power to run a regular sub off the stock amp, just look for something with max efficiency, not maximum power handling.

Yes my Outback would be a breeze to access in the cargo area. The headunit is automatically set to work with the stock h/k speakers. So if you replace the sub, it might not be much of an improvement or sound too distorted.

I'm not much of an audio guru, but I would assume at least trying to match the same output as the stock speaker but with something better quality? The Pioneer sounds promising.

1823114165_obsub.jpg.dd51243de58f9a92f49fdea17eee8ef5.jpg

• 2 months later...

Figure this one out.

The HK sub blew, the bottom cone ripped. I tried to silicone it but no luck...So I put it back but left it unplugged. Tied the plug up so it would hit anything.

Now, when certain bass notes hit, the sub tries to work and makes the blown sub noise!!!!

I think it's possesed!!!! :eek:

Anyways, i'm looking for replacements. I'll keep y'all informed.

wow lol let us know what you find out. I found a Kenwood shallow 8" on crutchfield's website...if you replace it please post pics and the steps as you do them as a mini walkthrough to benefit other owners of this shitty system! ( I mean, this sonically challenged subwoofer)....:lol:

wow lol let us know what you find out. I found a Kenwood shallow 8" on crutchfield's website...if you replace it please post pics and the steps as you do them as a mini walkthrough to benefit other owners of this shitty system! ( I mean, this sonically challenged subwoofer)....:lol:

so far, i found earthquak's sws8x (2 ohms and 4 ohms), kenwood kfc-xw800f, pioneer ts-sw841d.

Figure this one out.

The HK sub blew, the bottom cone ripped. I tried to silicone it but no luck...So I put it back but left it unplugged. Tied the plug up so it would hit anything.

Now, when certain bass notes hit, the sub tries to work and makes the blown sub noise!!!!

I think it's possesed!!!! :eek:

Anyways, i'm looking for replacements. I'll keep y'all informed.

oh? it's blew by the stock HK amp? since i replaced it with aftermarket amp, i think mine won't less long either! The way i'm trying to protect it is to adj LPF at 60+Hz and HPF 42Hz @12db down slope, +3db bass boost @ 80hz to smooth out the cut off. but what i hear is the stock can only dive to 40+Hz and it 's very weak below 60hz.

anyway, you guys can imaginate my sys doesn't reproduce bass perfectly ... just better than nothing ( basically i like jazz and some r&b, i don't like too much booming (80~160hz?), and i barely turn the vol over 20... ) !

i'm planning to give earthquake sws8 a try but couldn't find ANY review of it. please keep updating your work, thanks.

mark

anyone find the how to on removing the sub?

i post the similar question before, most ppl told me that i need to remove from back seat to deck panel. that's all i know. pp me if you need some figures/ideas.. but i just don't know where/how to start !

mark

agh! i blew my rear deck sub on my 09 legy... need to replace it. since i know ABSOLUTELY nothing about systems i went to best buy and asked the guy if i could install an aftermarket sub with the current HK sys, and he said, no, i would have to replace the whole system... im like wtf... but wutever, i walked away scratchin my head. had no idea i could slap on a 8" "shallow" sub in there and be fine with stock wiring. its either that, or go to SOA and get a new HK sub.

... and he said, no, i would have to replace the whole system... im like wtf... but wutever, i walked away scratchin my head. had no idea i could slap on a 8" "shallow" sub in there and be fine with stock wiring...

here is my sys: stock HU and sub, mb quart 6.5 component, 12gw monster spk wires, kappa five amp, ma audio eq, monster rca cable,

here is what i did: replaced the amp underneath the pax seat execpt the wire from HU to the HK amp. I just simply added a 4 channels-LOC there before my new amp. 1pr directly go to the amp (front in), another pr go to the eq then back to the amp (sub in).

i re-wired all wires btw the new amp to new front spks (component) as well, but not from amp to the stock sub. and yes, the stock sub is still sitting there.

ok, what i'm trying to say is... the skinny wire from amp to sub is ok to handle a little bit higher power. and the stock sub is also ok to handle deeper and little more power. the point is... you need to spend a lot of time to fine tune it (e.g. on eq - LPF, Hz to boost, boost level; on the amp - LPF, DBO Hz, DBO level; ....etc)

here is my currect* (3/7/10) sub setting:

eq: LPF @80Hz, boost @100hz + 6db, phrase set just slightly pass the mid (110?)

amp: LPF at @60hz, DBO @40hz +3db (means HFP at 40hz and add 3db there)

i know the setting is looked stupid and not quite logical. but well, this sounds the best i think (so far). (my "bass ref" is based on my hsu sub for my home, and i use to hang out with my cousin who has really hi-end home audio sys - tube amp, planar spk, 200+lb transformer....)

what i'm trying to do is to avoid 120~200hz, (less booming) and reduce the weakness of the stock sub (40Hz or below) to protect it.

now i think it's acceptable - sound and timing are both smoothly matching sub and front spk (HPF @90hz), much clear, lesser booming vs stock setup, subsonic lightly appears but not hurting the unit itself.

but i 'm planning to upgrade the stock sub and by the time i 'll also rewire its wire with thicker wire.

hope this help,

mark

(sorry, too many words?! )

* yea, i don't have those fancy audio equipment to tune the bass, so i can only do trial-&-error, back-nd-forth from seat to trunk few times a day...!

so, your 3"5/8 mounting depth sub can fit in that stock 8" hole at rear deck?

the key question...does it sound better?

The fit is drop in. As far as sounding better, it does, but I probably wouldn't bother with it unless you are planning to upgrade the amp. With more power and the ability to control the power level, eq and cross over points, it can make a much more noticeable improvement.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My Roommate just bought a 2009 Legacy S with the Harman Kardon system and it sounds great. But like everyone else said the Factory sub SUCKS!!!

So looking into upgrading... I saw that there are 2 outputs for subs, is there a chance of running maybe a WRX sub in the trunk? Don't need anything major just some base to the rock.....

Wouldn't mind even disconnecting that sub and running the connection to a better alternate stock sub...

Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...
Curious if there is a "standard" drop-in replacement for the HK sub? I just got my 2010 LGT and already the sounds is nice but the bass is like mud. I'd love to just drop in a real sub with minimal fuss (stock amp, basically connect the wires).

Archived