LegacyGT.com

Good Bodyshops in MoCo

maddoc

Well since I just moved from the Baltimore area to the DC area, I'm now looking for a good body shop to at the very least paint my JDM Spec B bumper and Corazon grill.

Any insight? I haven't really heard much good things about a lot of places in the area.

-Keith

Not MoCo, but talk to Ran or Kevin at D&V Autobody in Sterling/Dulles. They just sprayed some Rays for me and did a fantastic job at a very fair price. I'll be taking future work there (since my MAIC hookup Lance is down in Richmond now). FYI...they do warranty work for Lambo of Washington (evidenced by the Gallardo's I saw there getting their rear bumpers painted...factory defects).

D&V does a lot of custom work too....they're motorsports enthusiasts as well so that's always a nice bonus. Family run shop.

example of their work ($500 for four 20" wheels...OEM color matched and cleared)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/photo20.jpg

you could goto my buddy at Kelley's Autobody in Kensington. Just tell them that Keefe with the Subarus sent you ;)

Budday...! Hey if you're still living off Georgia, I'm about 5 minutes from you now :lol:

I only need a grill and bumper painted at this point. Hows their work?

• 2 weeks later...
THERE ARE NO GOOD BODY SHOPS IN MONKEY COUNTY....sorry, just haven't seen anyone that does repair type work do good work. If you want a good paint job, look for a hot rod shop, but you are gonna pay a ton!

Just looking to have something painted - I didnt think it was hard to screw up.

I've had good luck with Scuderis on Rockville Pike. Right near Redland.

I had them do the front end of my Chevy Xtreme....they did a horrible job. Tape lines, poorly painted grill and the color match was bad.

I forgot the name of the shop, but it's the one near the Gaithersburg Police station off Rt. 355. I caught them trying to swap my OEM front end grill, bumper, and lower valance with an aftermarket one...when I supplied the original OEM parts. They used crap hardware that rusted within weeks and I had to replace myself. Also did a horrible body work job on the rear cab corner. The radius of the corner was too rounded, and sh1t...I already did have the bodywork for them.

Just looking to have something painted - I didnt think it was hard to screw up.

With many of the shops in this county....you'd be surprised.

This is a disaster :lol: I just want to paint my bumper for a good price!

Just take it to Details, Details, Details in Rockville, off of 355. It is right next to Montgomery College. They paint bumpers as well. They aren't a body shop per se, but they do some extremely excellent work. They stand by their work no matter what. Even if something happens a week later, they will take care of you.

Here is a link to their service:

http://detailsdetailsdetails.com/upholstery.htm

$599!! ae you kidding?!

Well if you want a quickie paint job, you can always take it to Maaco and spend hundreds less. But they're work has been criticized a lot, mainly with either poorly trained staff or cheap paint.

Just take it to Details, Details, Details in Rockville, off of 355. It is right next to Montgomery College. They paint bumpers as well. They aren't a body shop per se, but they do some extremely excellent work. They stand by their work no matter what. Even if something happens a week later, they will take care of you.

Here is a link to their service:

http://detailsdetailsdetails.com/upholstery.htm

I see that place all the time, they always have sketchy looking characters hanging around. This is the place next to the Menike and across from KFC/Taco Bell. I think you might want to see this before going there:

http://dc-easternpa.bbb.org/codbrep.html?wlcl=y&id=23004788

Don't forget before going to any shop to check BBB and the Mont. Co. Consumer Affairs.

I see that place all the time, they always have sketchy looking characters hanging around. This is the place next to the Menike and across from KFC/Taco Bell. I think you might want to see this before going there:

http://dc-easternpa.bbb.org/codbrep.html?wlcl=y&id=23004788

Don't forget before going to any shop to check BBB and the Mont. Co. Consumer Affairs.

They only have one complaint and it was about the store not responding. How is that sketchy? Perhaps they did not want his business.

As far as the people there, I have to agree. When I looked inside, there were some people that looked like they did not belong there.

I went in on Sunday to see how much it would cost to get a clear bra installed on my car. They said the bumper, side mirrors, hood, fenders, and lights would cost me $1k. They also said they only use quality 3M materials. It sounds a bit high priced to me, but I do not know. This will be the first time I get something like this done.

But I have heard that they do stellar paint work. And since the OP just wants a bumper painted, I recommended this place to him.

They only have one complaint and it was about the store not responding. How is that sketchy? Perhaps they did not want his business.

As far as the people there, I have to agree. When I looked inside, there were some people that looked like they did not belong there.

Well, the sketchy part I commented on, was only the people. I agree, and F rating for one complaint seems harsh...but that is the way BBB works. But I posted it for quick reference. That is also why I said to always check BBB, regardless of the shop.

Price is often based on what the market will bare too...so if they are staying in business, at the prices they charge, more power to them. I know some of the Subaru shops charge a lot of money for their service, and many haven't been happy with their service, but going down that road is for a whole other thread.

Thanks Harry. But honestly $600 is a little steep for a bumper. I'm expecting more like $350-400.

A dealer will charge you this much, and if you have a newer car, with OEM paint, they'll do a reasonable job because they'll likely use the factory specified paint. However, as stated above, I'm not a big fan of anyone in Monkey County, and no matter who does it, be clear and insistent you want a good job, and won't settle for mistakes. I forget what the reputation is of the Subaru over in Annapolis, but that may not be feasible for you either.

Hey, my girlfriend is a terrible driver and has gone to the same bodyshop and paint guy for the past ten years. She has had her 350Z fixed there twice ($1,500 in damage when she was rearended and $9000 in damage when she was clipped by a cabbie, aka road terrorist) and the guy has done an excellent job. He has also fixed a giant gash I put in my right rear door/rear quarter panel when my dumb ass rubbed against a collumn in my architect's parking garage. And of course it was one of those collumns with the metal rub guards.

At any rate, the work would have costed me $2K+ at a regular shop but Ricardo was able to do it for around $1,200 and let me purchase my own door shell from Fred Beans. And it looked much better than when I had taken my car to a professional, insurance recommended body shop. He recently quoted me around $200 to paint my rear bumper since people in DC are terrible at parallel parking.

The only catch is that the neighborhood is a little shady (just off of New York Avenue), but his block is safe and he keeps the cars locked up at night. He also shares his garage with another auto shop and their grounds look like a chop shop/junk yard but he is a very nice guy and does excellent work, is very dependable, and very professional.

The guy's name is Ricardo and his business is United State Auto Body. I will post his phone number once my girlfriend texts it to me.

Archived