LegacyGT.com

Case of the exploding Camaro SS transmissions!

We've been told by GM PR there's been a temporary production hold on the shipment of manual transmission-equipped Camaro SS models after some owners have complained of problems after using the Launch Control feature. Sound familiar? Yeah, we thought so.

The issue doesn't affect manual transmission-equipped V6 Camaros. They will continue to leave the factory as scheduled. A GM spokesperson had this to say on the matter:

Our engineering team is reviewing data related to the performance of the manual transmission on the Camaro SS, and have temporarily stopped shipment of this model to the dealers.

This only impacts Camaro SS models with manual transmission in production. Camaro SS with automatic transmission, and Camaro LS and LT models are not affected and will continue to be shipped to dealers.

Since this is an "in production" review, we are NOT requesting vehicles be returned for any service or dealer deliveries stopped as a result of this action.

We'll keep an eye on the issue as GM releases more details.

http://jalopnik.com/5314296/gm-temporarily-halts-manual-transmission-camaro-ss-production

They have which ones? I heard only the 2010 vettes have launch control and the ls3 vette did 0-60 in 3.6 seconds using it.

The new ones...

Like the ZR1, Grand sport or all the 2010s with manual transmissions.

Maybe because they havent been out long enough. The 2010 arent even otu yet and the zr-1 is hardly owned by anyone.

Hmmm.. For some reason I thought the 2010s were out. I guess the only Corvette that has that feature right now is the ZR-1?

Everybody on Autoblog was going bat-guano about it...

"it was a bad batch of tremec input shafts, not a design problem, not GM cheaping-out on the gearboxes... it is the same gearbox as Vette and Viper...."

But I think it is a bit odd that a car that took SO long to come to market, from an already established vehicle platform from Holden...

Has already had negative battery cables wear through, where they come forward near the gearbox, from the trunk-mounted battery. Lose ground, the car becomes a 2-ton rolling hulk.

And now the input shaft between a small block chevy engine, and an long-established tremec gearbox, a system that has long since been developed, is now vulnerable.

All within mere months of the introduction of the car, again that took years to develop, and that GM reportedly took great pains to get right.

Makes you wonder...

It's bit confusing how the G8 seems to be reliable but the Camro is not or aleast shoddily built.

I know the G8 is built in Austrailia and Camaro in Oshawa. However, Oshawa is one GM's best plants in the world. Could it be an issue with part suppliers?

It's bit confusing how the G8 seems to be reliable but the Camro is not or aleast shoddily built.

I know the G8 is built in Austrailia and Camaro in Oshawa. However, Oshawa is one GM's best plants in the world. Could it be an issue with part suppliers?

Well he said it was tremecs fault for the faulty input shaft.

I didnt think they were the same internally. Just like the t-56 for the f-body and viper were supposidly different in soem ways.

I don't know what the deal is.

I read that people are claiming it is a batch of faulty tremec input shafts. I don't know if that is true, or if that is an attempt to shed blame away from GM...

I am just saying that there are a lot of GM fans on Autoblog saying that...

I don't know what the deal is.

I read that people are claiming it is a batch of faulty tremec input shafts. I don't know if that is true, or if that is an attempt to shed blame away from GM...

I am just saying that there are a lot of GM fans on Autoblog saying that...

IC :spin: lol, i will just stick with the 98-02 f-bodys lol

oi. essploding transmissions. thats not good.

re:GT-R - I dunno. Catch 22. I can see why Nissan would have a waiver to sign...get a fool behind the wheel and he's launching all 36,000 miles of the warranty, does Nissan really feel like paying for trannys he MAY go through (realizing that NOTHING is bullet proof)

But, on the other side, it really depends on the mileage of the car when the tranny blew.

And, seriously, if you're plopping down that amount of money for a car like the GT-R, and they make you sign this Waiver of sorts...red flags people, red flags would be going up, alarm bells ringing!

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

about the Camaros...well, I can't imagine the Gov is too happy hearing about this and having a 61% stake in the company...oh wait, that's really us that has the 61% stake in the pissa of a company. :mad:
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

about the Camaros...well, I can't imagine the Gov is too happy hearing about this and having a 61% stake in the company...oh wait, that's really us that has the 61% stake in the pissa of a company. :mad:

LOL, dont fool yourself, we the people do not have stake in the company.

IC :spin: lol, i will just stick with the 98-02 f-bodys lol

+1 Yup. A buddy of mine has a 2010 SS and I am not a fan of the car.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

+1 Yup. A buddy of mine has a 2010 SS and I am not a fan of the car.

+1

I think it's butt ugly and I stick by my opinion. I can see little if any resemblance to another Camaro of any vintage.

I didnt think they were the same internally. Just like the t-56 for the f-body and viper were supposidly different in soem ways.

Different gearing, different mounting, different output styles because of body styling and the Viper being IRS over a solid axle F-body. Somewhere I read there's 100's of combinations of the T56 because of how many different applications it's had between OEM's and the aftermarket.

oi. essploding transmissions. thats not good.

re:GT-R - I dunno. Catch 22. I can see why Nissan would have a waiver to sign...get a fool behind the wheel and he's launching all 36,000 miles of the warranty, does Nissan really feel like paying for trannys he MAY go through (realizing that NOTHING is bullet proof)

But, on the other side, it really depends on the mileage of the car when the tranny blew.

And, seriously, if you're plopping down that amount of money for a car like the GT-R, and they make you sign this Waiver of sorts...red flags people, red flags would be going up, alarm bells ringing!

I'd be damn if I were to spend 70K+ on a super car and have to sign a waiver that may exclude my car from warranty repairs if I want to drive it hard.

Archived