LegacyGT.com

Trade-in a 08 LGT for an 09? Craziness! :)

Hey all,

With Subaru running 0% financing for 72 months on all 2009 Legacy's, I'm kinda considering this.

I priced it out and my monthly payment would drop about $30-40.

I know the stock out there is limited, but it's pretty tempting :)

Joe

P.s. My 08 LGT has 27,000 miles now and runs great, but still. :)

And you've read all the stories of the engine failures in the 09's, right?

Hehehe, my 08 LGT model was included in the stop sale order, except they sold it to me before the stop sale was announced :)

Plus I use synthetic oil, which probably means my engine has only 15 seconds till it self-destructs.

How about just trading your Civic in on one and having 2 Legacy's? :)

I would for a Spec.B.

I checked out the WRX's on the local Subaru lot last night. EVERY SINGLE ONE had at least $500 tacked on for the following:

Subwoofer - ~$300

"Appearance Package consisting of a barely different grille and body side moldings" - $500

Ipod interface - $230

So basically, the list price on every one was at least $26500. God forbid you look at one of the premiums....

So yeah, it makes alot more sense to check out a Leggy since they are so much more for about equal money.

Good luck on an 09 spec B., from these boards, I now know they exist, but when I was looking I found only two spec B's within reasonable distance, and both were 08's.

Not to get you off subject, but when was your 08 made? Was the stop sale for the engine problems.... if so, did they know when it started? Mine was made in 03/08.

I would for a Spec.B.

I checked out the WRX's on the local Subaru lot last night. EVERY SINGLE ONE had at least $500 tacked on for the following:

Subwoofer - ~$300

"Appearance Package consisting of a barely different grille and body side moldings" - $500

Ipod interface - $230

So basically, the list price on every one was at least $26500. God forbid you look at one of the premiums....

So yeah, it makes alot more sense to check out a Leggy since they are so much more for about equal money.

FWIW if you go in and say "Get me a car just like this one here but without any of that fancy crap on it", they may eventually concede and offer it to you at the negotiated price of a comparable model without the bells and whistles. This is of course dependent on them not having the one you demand in stock. They often want to move THEIR inventory, not bring in other models. This also depends on whether a new model is coming in, or if other variables compel them to not want cars they may have trouble moving. This takes a little doing, but my family has pulled this trick for decades. One of my elders recently picked up an optioned out lexus for what one might have negotiated for the price of the base model. It was the 28th of the month, and they really wanted that sale.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

It's our money when the Government hands out "free" money to people who have gotten themselves into financial pickles when because they think that stuff is "free", borrow more then they can pay for, and think that paying the minimum payment on a credit card is okay.

Jump on it, Let's do it, Ride it, My Pony...

EL4NFZT7

I have 72 0% APR and they gave me the 3K rebate. Wasn't a bad deal.

Why on earth would you trade and 08GT for an 09 Nothing changed except the stereo offering.

Plus what makes you think you would get what you owe on the 08?

It's our money when the Government hands out "free" money to people who have gotten themselves into financial pickles when because they think that stuff is "free", borrow more then they can pay for, and think that paying the minimum payment on a credit card is okay.

Contrary to popular belief, there are still people with jobs that pay their bills.

coming from the guy who has 2 '05 LGT wagons, and enough $$ into them to buy a 3rd. :rolleyes:

And what's the relevance, Sherlock? Are you assuming something?

If someone wants to buy a new car, fine, trading in almost new car and taking a huge hit, fine, but thinking in terms of "monthly payment being lower" - FTL. Obviously many have no clue what I am talking about, which is so frightening.

It should be obvious but the OP should run the numbers and see what will be TOTAL cost of acquision for both cars, including interest, taxes, possible insurance cost difference, title/registration, incl. trade-in value for the old car, etc. Then compare whether 6-speed, suspension and other amenities of the new car, new warranty and 27k less miles are worth the price difference. When buying new I tend to say the 6-speed alone is worth the difference, trading 1-2 year old car - I doubt it.

If you want the new one, get it!

If you have a job that can pay for it, then get what you want.

I took a small hit, (mileage, registration, paperwork, my insurance went down, no taxes since it was an Oregon purchase) on my '08 when I traded her in. However, the 6 speed, the suspension, the navigation, the stereo and the new warranty, all worth it! I have wanted the SpecB since they first came out! I was in a spot with my job that allowed me to afford the $5/month more in a payment, and a great deal on the financing, so I got it. If you get 0% it is free money, just make sure you know how to manage the rest of your money.

Trading from a GT to a GT, not worth it, from a N/A to LGT or LGT to SpecB - then worth it!

It all comes down to dollars and cents, Holmes.

You think he's wasting money. Seems like pot/kettle/black coming from someone who has blown the kind of money you have on your Subaru "habit".

To each his own, but you were the one to come into this thread talking shit.

If someone wants to buy a new car, fine, trading in almost new car and taking a huge hit, fine, but thinking in terms of "monthly payment being lower" - FTL. Obviously many have no clue what I am talking about, which is so frightening.

It should be obvious but the OP should run the numbers and see what will be TOTAL cost of acquision for both cars, including interest, taxes, possible insurance cost difference, title/registration, incl. trade-in value for the old car, etc. Then compare whether 6-speed, suspension and other amenities of the new car, new warranty and 27k less miles are worth the price difference. When buying new I tend to say the 6-speed alone is worth the difference, trading 1-2 year old car - I doubt it.

Somehow I dont think joe is as financially dense as you might assume. based on his previous posts, he doesnt seem like a dimwit. i think he would understand that lower monthly payments doesnt mean a better deal.

however if he has to pay interest on his current car... and no interest on his next car... and if the difference is close to the hit he'll take.. then it's worth it.

im sure he's done his number crunching already...

and now... back to the brawl!

car for sale. PM me!

Somehow I dont think joe is as financially dense as you might assume. based on his previous posts, he doesnt seem like a dimwit. i think he would understand that lower monthly payments doesnt mean a better deal.

however if he has to pay interest on his current car... and no interest on his next car... and if the difference is close to the hit he'll take.. then it's worth it.

im sure he's done his number crunching already...

and now... back to the brawl!

An 08 LGT is worth maybe 17 on a good day, even if he had like 1.9 on his current car for 60 months and purchased it for 24k, 1 year later (NOW) he would still owe 21 or more which means a 3k deficit and plus the new cars purchase price without a rebate since its a rebate or 0% and not to mention at like 26 would mean the car payment would go up 40-60 dollars not down. Also streching the payment for 72 months just means your not paying less your just paying more over time, but less a month.

havent looked up prices recently but if it goes for 17k only then he's taking a beating.

it's a 1 year old car. i bought my 2 year old lgt for 17k with a lot of miles. it really ought to be worth more than 17k unless resale now is even worse than when i was buying it.

car for sale. PM me!

Since you geniuses like to do math without asking for any details first, here's some details. (Unclemat, I thought better of you at least! Humbug! Now go back to teaching me stuff like you usually do)

This should also help others that think about these types of things....i hope. I'm not going to make any definitive statements, just show a whole lotta math.

My 08 LGT is on a 5-year note at 3.9%. I have ~46 months left on that note. As of today, I owe $15,500 on the car. I bought it for $24,500 and put ~5k down (I forget the exact details with my trade-in at the time).

Interest compounded monthly (I kinda forget how they compound on auto loans, but I figured monthly was worst case scenario), I will pay a total of ~$2,066 in interest on my loan.

I have a $5k down payment on it and 14 months of $371/month payments on it, so I've sunk about $10.1k into it thus far. I'm looking at a total of ~28-29k over 5 years to purchase my LGT, including taxes/fees.

I assume that I could get a new LGT for $25k (base model). Maybe that's erroneous, but that's the assumption I'm working off.

KBB puts my vehicle (good condition) at $18,575 for trade-in value.

Let's assume I would be financing $23000 to be conservative, at 0% interest. (which, by the way, would give me amonthly payment of $319 or $52 less than my current monthly payment).

So now you actually have the details on which to base your opinions on this conjecture :)

Joe

P.s. Don't worry about my personal finances. I have no CC debt, my car loans are under control, my house is right-side up and low interest overall, and no existing student loans. No kids and stable income. My biggest financial concerns are paying out of pocket for my MBA and figuring out how I'm going to build my dream home with a 3-car garage in the next few years. The first one I've figured out, but the latter is going to be tough :)

Archived