LegacyGT.com

SkyFi Install

eamiller

Well, I finally got around to installing my Panavise mount for my SkyFi.. I've attached pictures for all to see.. Still haven't installed the modulator yet, but I should be getting the last of the antenna connector parts I need soon (and some warm weather would be nice)..

Sorry for the quality, it's an overcast (snowing) day and little light was available.. B&W looked better than the color..

Photo_031005_001.jpg.42efc99c0c052e8d98b31fc3145061f0.jpg

SkyFi is wayyy to big for the cubby, with it's clunky cradle and all.. I think someone around here even measured the Roady and it was a little on the big side.. The only unit I know of that fits is the Commander style of radios..

I've had my SkyFi for like 2 years, since I work for Delphi and get a big ol' discount on the unit.. The PanaVise fits like a dream, there's even a notch in the climate control which allows it to squeeze through the seam..

The hardest part is the fact that Subaru has decided to use a Hirose connector for the antenna instead of a traditional Motorola antenna connector.. Once you have either tapped into the wire or obtained the parts to make 2 conversion cables, it's rather simple to wire it in. For the best quality (for the stock stereo) use an FM modulator. There's quite a few threads around here on the process and parts needed.

The easiest solution is to use an FM broadcaster, but the quality is much lower.

so it sounds like what you are saying is using an fm modulator will give you better sound quality then perhaps using the skyfi2?

This has been a subject I have posted on before, know people may be getting sick of the question, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

FM modulator gives the best sound quality, short of directly connecting to the internals of the radio (been done, PITA). FM transmitters are acceptable for short term, if you can stand the hiss and general lack of dynamic range.

I would only get the SkyFi2 if I really wanted the better display, recording, and stock/sports ticker. Also, the SkyFi2 has the new tuner chipset, so it's faster tuning and less prone to dropouts.

Archived