LegacyGT.com

2.5i spark plug - OEM?

My user manual calls for NGK FR5AP-11 (double platinum)

Local parts shop is listing NGK BKR5EIX-11 (iridium)

Which one is better or proper part? Latter one is in stock, first one hard to get. Both seem the same heat range.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I would call a Subaru Dealer and ask what they stock odds are the NGK are close in price btwn the parts store and the Subbie parts depo. But my gut would follow the manual that way if there is an issue the dealer cant say you didnt follow instructions etc. I think the stock plugs are about $12.50 USD/a piece. They both are good plugs btw

I have the BKR5EIX-11 NGK Iridium plugs waiting to go on my car. They should be the same as the OEM plugs aside from the Iridium tips instead of Platinum.

I had the same plugs on my previous Nissan Altimas and I figured I'd give them a try on my Legacy, too...

BKR5EIX-11 is the one they list for either car and is in stock. The former they have not had for a while. My current plugs have 50,000km on them, but engine runs like a clock. Should I be changing them anyway? In three days it goes to dealer for tranny flush. I'll ask how much they want for plugs. Iridiums are $10 CDN a piece.

Yeah some claim copper are the best others platinum etc etc. I would run what the book calls for but it is your cash. They wont make your car run any better than it does now. But i change my plugs every 15K and use the FR5AP-11 NGK plug

The Iridiums work better for cars that experience high combustion chamber temps [like those running forced induction or nitrous]. Platinum plugs have been known to sometimes melt or wear very quickly under those conditions.

However, platinum plugs would work fine for the n/a model. Personally, I'd just use the MUCH cheaper NGK v-power copper core plugs. They usually run around 2 bucks per plug, and while they don't last as long as platinum/iridium plugs, I don't suggest running plugs much longer than 30-40k anyway especially on aluminum heads. I've seen too many that gall the threads in the head and end up stripping them out when the plugs are finally removed. This is much less likely to happen if the plugs are replaced earlier.

Good point with the changing of the plugs more often. STOCK FTW but I wonder how a comparable plug would fair???? FTL???:eek: IDK I wouldnt put Autolites in a subbie :lol: Maybe Bosch but NGK as a first consideration oh and beer or spirits

Bosch plugs are actually notoriously poor quality. Every drivability tech I've ever worked with refused to use Bosch plugs.

I've used NGK plugs exclusively in every car I've ever had as well as most of the other cars I've worked on, including V-power, G-power [platinum] and Iridium, and I've never had a problem with any of them.

Archived