LegacyGT.com

Could 2010 be the last year for the Legacy GT?

mkaresh

I've added pricing for the 2010 Legacy to TrueDelta's database. Comparing the 2009 and 2010 LGTs, the latter has a lower base price, but you have to go to the Limited and add a sunroof to make them truly comparable. Once you do that, the 2010 lists for over $2,000 more.

Not only this, but the 2010 LGT is also about $2,000 more than the new 3.6 R. Last year, the LGT was about the same price as the 3.0 R. Combine this price difference with the fact that an automatic isn't offered in the LGT this year, and the LGT's future doesn't look good.

Higher price + manual only = low sales

And we all know what Subaru has done with slow selling models in recent years. I had my heart set on a manual transmission LGT wagon at one point. First they took away the manual, then they took away the wagon altogether.

Sounds like Subaru now wants to be like everyone else, and offer a four with manual and automatic and a six with automatic only.

To run price comparisons:

Car price comparisons

I've been postulating that for some time... since the specs for the '10 Legacy GT was released, with fewer standard features, and as you mention, manual-only.

My theory is that they kept the GT around, for this year, and maybe one more, before a mid-life re-fresh. They kept it around purely for lip-service purposes. Something to allow them to continue to claim "sport" in their sport sedan, and say that they are sportier than their Camry/Accord competition, now that they are no longer aiming at under-cutting Audi A4 on value, as they did when they brought out the 2005 BL Legacy GT.

The GT was never advertized in the previous generation, and the coverage of the '10 Legacy that I have seen hasn't been overly focused on the GT, either.

The option spread, as you mention, seems very much to favor the base 2.5i/CVT, or the 3.6R model, which is somewhat ironic, considering how LATE BL Legacy was to gain an H6 engine, when Outback has had that option since 2000, or even before that.

90% of buyers opt for Automatics, when given the choice on a car other than a dedicated sports car. By shutting them out of the Legacy GT, by no longer offering the 5EAT on the GT, is part 1 of the death-knell of the Legacy GT turbo.

The other part is, that even with limited production, and manual-only, the option list doesn't include Bilstein struts, or SI-Drive, or other features that the 2007-2009 Spec B had, and even it had a hard time justifying it's price and limited option configuration.

They have moved the GT into that limited-production, mandated-option box, but it isn't even as well optioned, mechanically, as Spec B was. That is part 2 of the death-knell of the Legacy GT.

I agree with you, after this is all said and done, it is possible that the 5MT will only be available with the base 2.5i, or gone altogether, in favor of automatic or CVT options.

It started with handicapping and wiping out the wagon. Then it was handicapping the options on Spec B, and now making the '10 Legacy less attractive, visually, and technically than the outgoing model.

The Legacy will likely end up being the new AWD alternative to Maxima. Lip-service to sport, but not really. Auto or CVT, and unattractive looks. Maxima is not the sport sedan it once might have been, and anyone with serious interest passes it by for the G37, which is properly RWD or AWD, and optional with a RWD 6MT drivetrain with full power and options. And G37 looks WORLDS better than the new catfish-face Maxima.

90% of buyers opt for Automatics, when given the choice on a car other than a dedicated sports car. By shutting them out of the Legacy GT, by no longer offering the 5EAT on the GT, is part 1 of the death-knell of the Legacy GT turbo.

No way 90%, at least not in Subaru case. In MY05 1/3 of LGTs, both sedan and wagon were manuals. We'll soon learn how it was in subsequent years. Turbo Subarus tend to sell wth manuals more.

I'm shooting for 2012. That's either gonna be the year it's gone (so MY11 will be the last version), or it will be the last MY.
If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I think the title GT will be around for a few years but it will be a trim option or something. The 2010 legacy is really setup to sell tons of the base model. The content and packages offered to step up do not seem that attractive to me. SOA has priced the 3.6 models very aggressively so they will sell OK. Definately out-sell the turbo 4. Warranty costs on the 6 na have to be a fraction of the 4 turbo also. It is a shame, most others are going back to smaller turbo engines for epa.

Don't hold your breathe though. FHI can turn on a dime. Look at Tribeca and '08 WRX. Look at near-lux push look at corporate face push. But overall, I think they are going to play it safe for a few years to recoup the some costs of the emergency fixes.

Maybe 2012 will be a whole new push back to turbo 4s and sport wagons and sport sedans and lower taxes and world peace and the Cubs winning the world series..... Why are you laughing?

Peace,

Greg

No way 90%, at least not in Subaru case. In MY05 1/3 of LGTs, both sedan and wagon were manuals. We'll soon learn how it was in subsequent years. Turbo Subarus tend to sell wth manuals more.

That may be a special case... along with the likes of Corvette, and things...

But the 90% I quoted, I remember reading as an industry wide statistic, not a subaru-specific statistic.

I still think Manual-only is going to push some people to the 3.6, rather than the GT.

Even those who can drive a manual car, and might want one... you hear sometimes... "oh, the wife doesn't want to drive a manual, or can't... and she needs to drive the car sometimes..." or "my commute is just easier with an automatic, even if a manual is more fun sometimes..." and people go with automatic gearboxes.

I am not one of those, my wife prefers a manual gearbox, as well, and the only reason we have an automatic gearbox in the SVX is because none were built with a stick. Some get converted after-market, and ours may eventually, too.

The thing is, the people who are in the minority, like me, and probably you, too, Unclemat, who prefer a manual gearbox, and know why we prefer that, are finding that we don't really like the other aspects of the '10 Legacy GT, and that having a manual gearbox isn't enough to overcome some of the problems we have with the '10 Legacy.

There will probably be a few buyers... but Spec B had a hard time selling, and most years they made less than 1000 units of those, and it had it's drawbacks, too, although now, through the lens of "what can get worse", the 2006-2009 Spec Bs, even with grey paint mandatory, are looking pretty well equipped, especially the 2007-2009 6MT cars with audio aux, and folding rear seats, and SI drive. (although I still like the red leather in the '06...)

I still think Manual-only is going to push some people to the 3.6, rather than the GT.

If I were interested in a 2010, it would only be the 3.6 that I'd consider. I want an automatic transmission, and I don't trust the reliability or longevity of CVT's.

But since the car is so darn ugly, I guess it doesn't matter anyway. And why did Subaru decide to replace the temp gauge with a mpg display? I like having an actual temp gauge, rather than just an idiot light on the dash. An mpg gauge I couldn't care less about. Also, I'm not happy with the replacement of a conventional parking brake handle with a button on the dash. I guess pretty much everything Subaru changed about the Legacy I hate! LOL!

^ the 08, 09 have a mpg gauge.

Only the GT does. My 2.5i Limited does not, but the digital instantaneous mpg display on the trip computer is just fine with me! And on the GT, I don't believe the mpg gauge was in place of the temp gauge, but rather in addition to it, correct?

Only the GT does. My 2.5i Limited does not, but the digital instantaneous mpg display on the trip computer is just fine with me! And on the GT, I don't believe the mpg gauge was in place of the temp gauge, but rather in addition to it, correct?

Correct. You can see it below the speedometer here:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/Ob08XTsteeringwhl1.JPG

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Quote from Steve Lewis Subaru in Northampton MA....

"The Legacy Wagon, we will never see that again".

The guy said it as if it was the best news ever; as if it we're AIDS we would never see again. I still don't have a thing for the new 2010 OB wagon, so I doubt the LGTW (if out) would be such a nice vehicle.

I suspect the LGT will die in a couple years. I drove one - its lost the magic. The engine is quick, but doesn't pull as hard as it did before (it sure doesn't FEEL like 20 more hp). The clutch and stick are much more sterile, less engaging... basically it's turned soft. The handling went the way of a Camry SE rather than a BMW, and you feel every inch the car has gained in size. It will find few buyers; people who want a nice sedan with oomph will opt for the 3.6R and the slushbox. The enthusiasts (most people here) will cling to their old cars because the performance is more engaging. The 2.5GT -- especially if only offered with a stick -- finds itself in a very tiny niche that is less compelling than it was. The sales numbers will drive its demise.

A darned shame. Get your '09s while you can.

If Subaru pulls a rabbit out of their hat in '11 like they did with the '09 WRX (button down the suspension more, recalibrate the PCM/turbo for a more aggressive response, and tidy up the gearshift) - they'd have a sport sedan winner. Which, if they're going to offer it in a stick only - is exactly what they need to do. 95% of prospective LGT owners won't complain one bit. Those who want softer, plusher accomodations will opt for the 3.6R.

While they're at it they should go revisit their buddies at Momo for a fatter, smaller steering wheel and meatier shift knob.

Legacy GT, meet your would-be nemesis. If only Audi were smart enough to offer it in the US... :spin: :spin: :spin:

Audi A5 Sportback.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/07/a5090040_large-1280.jpg

Object Lesson as to what Legacy should be and could have been.

Just paint the bar behind the license plate as body-color, and it is back to the 2-generations ago look.

I just wish a Subaru would come out looking somewhat like that. The boxer is shorter in both length and height, and the hood can thus be lower.

Archived