LegacyGT.com

tired of the yearly tire buy.

Jerboa113

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quiet so far

Either you haven't had them for very long or they fixed the road noise problem these tires have. There's a silent recall for GY Eagle F1 A/S due to excessive cupping and road noise. Mine are rediculously loud.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I guess its for people who complain about it only.

kinda like what dell did with their capacitor problem about 4 years ago.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

The Michelin Pilot A/s "Plus" is an evolution, but it basically focused on a few things:

1. The original A/S had a consistent problem of wearing out in the middle on most cars. The new model is supposed to make the middle tread "harder"

2. Overall treadwear should be up some.

3. IIRC (I may be confusing this with another tire) some of the edges are chamfered a bit more. This is when the tire has more rounded edges. When a square edge hits alot of lateral force, it'll roll over on itself and reduce tire patch/grip, whereas a chamfered edge will maintain tire contact.

The continentals are pretty much an unknown, but are supposed to take the old contiextremes and make them less likely to bubble and therefore a stiffer sidewall, quieter, and a bit longer wearing. Who knows what sacrifices were made, if any.

Joe

I moved up to the BF Goodrich Sport T/A 225/45/17 and they have been great. So much better than the stock crap. They handle excellent in the dry and have had no problems in the rain. They are right around $100 and should last at least 30k.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to update everyone on this.

I decided on the Conti ExtremeContact DWS in oem size. I looked at other options but fell on oem.

I cant say they're better performance wise becuase my old ones were so shot wooden carriage wheels would have been an improvement. My belts were showing in the proxes4s.

the other day I made a sharp turn under braking and the rear slid a little.. I was kind of surprised by that.. but they may just be too new for aggressive spur of the moment "omg I'm gonna miss it" turns. :lol:

They look good.. the sidewall is aggressive and looks rather nice under the car. The lettering on contis is much more pronounced than the bridgestones or the toyos that I've had on the car before. All in all I like the look they provide.. but have not had adequate testing to say for sure that they are "better."

from what I can tell its not as soft a rubber compound so they may not grip as well as my toyos did.. but if they last 2 years instead of 1 Then I can deal with that.

At the end of 2 years i'm not sure where I'll be on this. I am unhappy with my braking performance as of late and know the next logical step is upgraded components beyond what the oem 17s will fit.. add to that the fact that I'm in the 70k mile range on the odometer.. my struts could be in line for replacement too.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

the other day I made a sharp turn under braking and the rear slid a little.. I was kind of surprised by that.. but they may just be too new for aggressive spur of the moment "omg I'm gonna miss it" turns.

that's called shitty driving, not bad tires.

I will take some as soon as it gets a bath. Right now my rims are brake dust gray with finger prints all over them. :lol: they' look like a spotted cow. I can only imagine what they look like spinning.

Wanted to last weekend but I worked all weekend. :(

Let us know if you have the vibration issue that others have reported.

I have been seeing that a lot with new tires on groups all over, I think it's just cheap manufacturing by all companies. I have new generals that are a little shaky.

A tech once told me "it's the whole low profile thing". Short sidewalls means they have to be stiffer. In turn you feel more bumps and vibrations. Part of the point is that you feel the road more. You have to wait till the tire warms up before it gets better. Think about it, higher profile tires absorb more vibrations (more rubber), so you don't feel all those little things inside the car as much. That's just the trade off i guess. I got some "higher end tires" 225/40/18 (pirellis) and I get the vibrations. Drives me crazy too. Even after having tires rotated and balanced several times, they can't get rid of the vibes.

Yeah with low profile tires, you def feel more of the road...but that is the sacrifice you must take for a better handling....the sidewall on low profiles doesn't flex as much thus the vibrations take the path of least resistance..hence why you feel it more. This is always the issue you have when trying to get better handling....the better the handling, the stiffer the feel and thus more nvh.

so far these tires are smooth.. they do feel a little stiffer than the toyos but I chock tht up to being a harder rubber compound.

there is less road noise but my old toyos were WORN OUT so its not a fair comparison old to new.

now I need to have an alignment.. again..

is it normal for an LGT to have /---\ alignment in the front?

attached is one of my front tires after about 10-15k miles on the front of the car. the other 10-15k were on the back.

toyos.thumb.jpg.c6a3add47012c7f4d84b5faf6fdd8b70.jpg

not unless kauffman tire thinks thats what I wanted.:lol:

I had an alignment SUPPOSEDLY done less than 6 months ago.

maybe they just took my money and didn't do anything?

on the other hand.. it corners better like that I guess? :p

hard to say yet. I haven't done anything stupid on the road lately. :lol:

overall they seem about average road noise and road feel wise. The sidewall feels nice n stiff but I have doubts about the grip over the toyos. Course.. I say this for when they were brand new.. the 2nd day I got them it was pouring rain and my aggressive driving made me slide a little a few times. Nothing major but it did.

Archived