LegacyGT.com

Porsche Cayman

That Cayman appears to be quite a machine. And comparing it with an LGT is a bit silly.

Tom

^^^^I agree

Where do you live?

I personally bought my LGT as a yearround daily driver to keep for a long time so in 3-5 years I can buy a Summer Toy like a 2002-2005 Boxter S. I wouldnt want to have any Porsche car with the exception of the C4S as a daily driver here in Illinois.

i live in los angeles. And while the comparison is a bit silly, it remains the comparison that I'm making. I have a season pass to Mammoth so I'm in the snow on a fairly consistent basis & would enjoy the all-wheel drive on those limited occassions when I'm there & it's snowing, but I certainly can't make the claim that I need it & I've read that the mid-engine, rear-wheel drive boxster is actually surprisingly competent in the snow.

My current car, a Corrado, is well over a decade old now & I still love it, so I if I'm able to repeat that experience with the Porsche then I don't think it is really such a bad value.

It sure would be a alot of fun in the Montreal winters, eh?

Offtopic - Do you guys still have piles of snow in July left from the winter? I remember a summer trip up there when I was a kid and we were amazed at a snow pile when we went up on Mt. Royal. :cool:

If you keep cars for a long time, like you do, get the one you want!!!......cause thats a long time to kick yourself in the rear for choosing the wrong one

Cayman looks like a great car, I didnt see any estimates on price. Mid 50's for a current Boxter S so this car should start in the mid 60's???:eek: Go for it, I for one will be jealous

WHY OH WHY?

Why do they have to mess with things? Like the name. Cayman? BAD choice of names. And in the words of Huey Lewis, sometimes bad is BAD.

987 would be fine. If I were to own that car, it would be rebadged with numbers. No reference to "Cayman" would remain. I wouldn't call the car that. It sounds like something that would come out of the mouth of some middle aged fuddy-duddy with a turtleneck, a yacht, and a fake New England accent, who is drunk with their own wealth, not a sports car enthusiast.

I love the mid-engine arrangement with a hatchback and load floor behind/over the engine.

The front looks bland like the 987 Boxster. Easily changed with new fenders, front bumpers, and lights from a 997.

The back looks ok. The lines are a little muddled with the camoflaging.

The side however, looks BAD. The line of the quarter glass is just wrong. It looks like an old Volvo P1800S. That was understandable on a first try 1960s sports cars from Volvo. Porsche has been designing beautiful cars for decades, and that line is a step, or two, backward. I hope it is the camoflage, but I have a distinct feeling that what is underneath is being shown.

A concept illustration a few months back had the car drawn close; it showed the rear quarter windows being a shorter length version of the 911-style quarter windows, not the upswept ones shown on the link in this thread. I wish the illustration had been right.

I know that Porsche doesn't want to upset 911 buyers by making the boxster/coupe look too much like it's bigger brother. That is no reason to make it ugly for that reason.

Great concept, but if my impressions are right, the execution is botched to defer to the 997.

If I had the cash in the future, it would be a hard choice between a fully loaded S model of the Boxster coupe, if it turns out to be acceptable looking, and an upcoming version of the Carrera 4S with AWD. Maybe I'd go with an Aston Martin AMV8, instead of both...

hence the fake accent. I was just making a comment that the "Cayman" name seems like nuveau riche trying to name-drop their new favorite vacation spot in their new 80 ft. yacht.

Just commenting on the name of the car, not trying to demean real, honest folks who have money.

i dunno about botched execution.

the cayman is faster around the nurburgring than the 997 and it's down both on peak HP and torque.

it says what most of us knew all along: rear engine placement is stupid --put the engine in the most logical place and you get a fast car. except they've never put a serious engine in the boxster so the execution THERE was botched.

the cayman is, as far as i'm concerned, the real thing. i used to own a 993 and this current crop of Porsches are okay but nothing that would beckon me back to the fold like the cayman. the upside is that the 997 steps closer to the 993 than it does to the 996. that makes me really happy.

As a car, make no mistake. It is the best thing shy of a supercar. Don't get me wrong. I have been waiting for a mid engined porsche coupe for a long time, even though I won't be able to afford one for a very long time.

The mid engine arrangement is nigh-on-perfect.

I was speaking about a botched aesthetic execution, purely to save face of the bigger brother. Aesthetically, the ovoid headlights and the dorky rear quarter profile is sheerly to prevent 911 owners from being jealous of a cheaper, technically better car, if it were properly equipped.

The 911 C-pillar line is a porsche trademark. They even tried to replicate it in the Cayenne. They messed it up on purpose, if the lines under the camo in the photos of the mule car are true to the final form. We'll see.

Same with the lack of engine. The 3.6 liter will fit. Ruf, Gemballa, and others have stuffed the non-race-block 3.6 (996 engine) into a 986 boxster, and some have even turbocharged it from there, like Stola. (Stola GTS, now there is a Boxster Coupe...)

It is all about dumbing down the little brother so that the older brother can still shine.

I just think it sucks that they choose to visually or otherwise marginalize a great car for the sake of another. But it is money. Ferrari doesn't seem to have trouble making the smaller F430 faster than it's 575M big brother.

Personally, I would love to see a 987CS (club sport coupe) with:

spartan alcantara interior (like the Stola GTS),

the Porsche GT3 shell seats,

stripped of electronic gizmos, and some of it's insulation,

radio and A/C optional, Roll cage optional, larger front fuel tank, or a fuel cell, factory CF or Composite SMC wide body fenders and aero kit,

forged 18" rims, and other street-legal, track-ready bits,

and the GT3's 3.6 race-block motor (same as GT3, 911 Turbo, GT2)

I'd love to see that tear up bigger race cars all day long, with perfect balance, and high power to weight ratio. American Le Mans Series, and other production-based sports car racing would be a perfect venue for Porsche to use that car to get back into factory racing, and sell to privateers, and street drivers who want a tasty little toy.

I think it is a truly great car, that is being hindered for the sake of profitability of another model line.

The name may be a little uh, lets say easy to mispronounce, but the car itself is going to be amazing. Looking forward to driving one and seeing what its all about.

Song of Post- The Beatles- Hey Jude

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

In case everyone forgot, Cayman = an island flattened by Hurricane Ivan last fall. Bad timing and poor taste for Porsche to use the name? I think so. :(

http://www.davidwolfephotography.com/Stk/Ivan/images/DSC04018.jpg

http://www.davidwolfephotography.com/Stk/Ivan/images/DSC04061.jpg

http://www.davidwolfephotography.com/Stk/Ivan/images/DSC04226.jpg

http://www.davidwolfephotography.com/Stk/Ivan/images/DSC04276.jpg

As a car, make no mistake. It is the best thing shy of a supercar. Don't get me wrong. I have been waiting for a mid engined porsche coupe for a long time, even though I won't be able to afford one for a very long time.

The mid engine arrangement is nigh-on-perfect.

I was speaking about a botched aesthetic execution, purely to save face of the bigger brother. Aesthetically, the ovoid headlights and the dorky rear quarter profile is sheerly to prevent 911 owners from being jealous of a cheaper, technically better car, if it were properly equipped.

The 911 C-pillar line is a porsche trademark. They even tried to replicate it in the Cayenne. They messed it up on purpose, if the lines under the camo in the photos of the mule car are true to the final form. We'll see.

Same with the lack of engine. The 3.6 liter will fit. Ruf, Gemballa, and others have stuffed the non-race-block 3.6 (996 engine) into a 986 boxster, and some have even turbocharged it from there, like Stola. (Stola GTS, now there is a Boxster Coupe...)

It is all about dumbing down the little brother so that the older brother can still shine.

I just think it sucks that they choose to visually or otherwise marginalize a great car for the sake of another. But it is money. Ferrari doesn't seem to have trouble making the smaller F430 faster than it's 575M big brother.

Personally, I would love to see a 987CS (club sport coupe) with:

spartan alcantara interior (like the Stola GTS),

the Porsche GT3 shell seats,

stripped of electronic gizmos, and some of it's insulation,

radio and A/C optional, Roll cage optional, larger front fuel tank, or a fuel cell, factory CF or Composite SMC wide body fenders and aero kit,

forged 18" rims, and other street-legal, track-ready bits,

and the GT3's 3.6 race-block motor (same as GT3, 911 Turbo, GT2)

I'd love to see that tear up bigger race cars all day long, with perfect balance, and high power to weight ratio. American Le Mans Series, and other production-based sports car racing would be a perfect venue for Porsche to use that car to get back into factory racing, and sell to privateers, and street drivers who want a tasty little toy.

I think it is a truly great car, that is being hindered for the sake of profitability of another model line.

great post.

• 2 weeks later...
Porsche will begin to produce the Cayman in August prior to its world debut at the Frankfurt motor show in September, and will pitch it as an out-and-out driver’s car, more focused than both the 911 and Boxster from which it is derived.

If the pitch is true, it should be an exciting car...

The Porsche Cayman is actually named after an alligator not an island

The timing seems good to me.

http://www3.us.porsche.com/cayman/assets/images/splash-image.jpg

Really? Do you mean Caiman crocodilus aka the 'caiman'? Maybe Porsche needs to learn how to spell. :lol:

Probably an executive decision to go with 'Cayman' since it is more phonetic for us dumb Americans. Either that or the German's got the translation wrong.

That brings up a funny list of car names that don't translate well in other market like "Nova" in spanish speaking countries ("no go") :lol:

Archived