LegacyGT.com

Stuttering/Hesitation completely removed! - car never smoother

Th3Franz

The NSFW strategy was undone also. I like this approach myself and would put that back.. That is the retard value being -1.41 vs -1.4, and the advance value being .2 vs .35 for counting knock events with the hundredths column as well as easily seeing how many corrections have occurred.

Retard should be -1.01, actually. This gives you slightly less protection against knock, but I figure that anyone who does this is watching for knock pretty closely anyway. But with retard at -1.01, the 'ones' digit in FLKC is the number of times the ECU employed FLKC in that cell.

LittleBlueGT verified the ECU will eventually pull a FLKC cell down to 0.00, so you can lose the count in that cell just as with the regular settings. But on the other hand, if that happens, then that cell isn't so bad after all. :) Those settings still give you a little bit more information than the factory settings though, so I still think it's useful.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys.. sorry I haven't responded I've been at an auto-x all day. Sun burned and tired but looking forward to some tuning tonight. :)

Btw I didn't intentionally undo anyones strategy or map or w/e - I just looked through your map and if something was different than how I normally do it I changed it to match my stuff. If you've got any tricks or preferences you are of course welcome to change it back.

As for KS, that sounds useful. I will probably start using it from now on and see if I like it better. Does it show previously pulled/learning timing though?

As for your AFR, it is close in several areas but it tapers off towards rich on the top end and it goes lean at one point so I'd like to fix that as much as possible so I can lean out your AFR for more power. Imo you aren't utilizing the full potential of your fmic. And I'm still not convinced we can't fix the rich spot during spool. I want to fix that and get you a lot better spool/peak torque. Just don't get mad at me if your clutch starts slipping. :lol:

Btw it may be running richer than before during spool as I purposely tuned it to be conservative on spool up for safety reasons. That's just until I see some logs though, and then I plan to crank it up. Speaking of which - got any logs for me yet? :)

As for KS, that sounds useful. I will probably start using it from now on and see if I like it better. Does it show previously pulled/learning timing though?

The idea is that if you see -0.82 (for example) in the learning view, you know the ECU used FLKC twice in that cell. With the stock settings, you can't tell if 0.70 means it pulled timing once (-1.4) and added timing twice (2 x 0.35), or if it pulled timing twice and added timing six times.

With my settings it can still go from 0.0X down to 0.00, so you can still still lose that extra information in the hundredths digit, but until that happens you have an opportunity to see a little more information than with the stock settings.

The idea is that if you see -0.82 (for example) in the learning view, you know the ECU used FLKC twice in that cell. With the stock settings, you can't tell if 0.70 means it pulled timing once (-1.4) and added timing twice (2 x 0.35), or if it pulled timing twice and added timing six times.

With my settings it can still go from 0.0X down to 0.00, so you can still still lose that extra information in the hundredths digit, but until that happens you have an opportunity to see a little more information than with the stock settings.

Oh I see. I never really thought of that scenario. I don't see the ecu add timing very often and it seems unlikely that it would add and remove timing in the same place during the relatively short time I am logging. I log often but in short intervals, not over a period of days or weeks. It's a good idea though and I don't really see any down side to it so why not do it.

Looking forward to tuning you say? I sent a link for an 04 sti rom I'm working on.. :)

I'll have a look and get back to you. :)

Okay...got the requested log runs in:

Highway/City about 30 min - this is mainly highway though (broken into 2 files):

http://www.box.net/shared/6f1ceg7pyo

http://www.box.net/shared/8h56p1at04

2nd gear runs:

romraiderlog_20090712_220259.csv

romraiderlog_20090712_221200.csv

romraiderlog_20090712_220636.csv

romraiderlog_20090712_221755.csv

2 - 3rd gear runs (one had 1 knock event, but I could not reproduce it):

romraiderlog_20090712_222222.csv

romraiderlog_20090712_221432.csv

Idle:

http://www.box.net/shared/uq2a8pvcdz

Just don't get mad at me if your clutch starts slipping. :lol:

Btw it may be running richer than before during spool as I purposely tuned it to be conservative on spool up for safety reasons. That's just until I see some logs though, and then I plan to crank it up. Speaking of which - got any logs for me yet? :)

If my clutch starts slipping I would not mind at all.. :)

Does the solid line represent the average correction?

Yeah. It means the maf sensor is mis-reporting the amount of air, and the ecu is adding/removing fuel to compensate. The line represents the center point of the spread on the Y axis, which we want to see as close to 0 as possible. It is a 6-point polynomial trend line.

The graph would lead you to believe it is adding lots of fuel, but I also have to consider A/F Learning so it looks a bit different with that applied. I will post an updated graph with that included in a bit.

I personally can't stand A/F Learning and have it disabled on my map because I've found it often does more harm than good. When the maf is properly scaled you really don't need it. Plus it can screw with open loop fueling sometimes.

What some people do to avoid it messing up open loop fueling is to disable the airflow range 40 g/sec + of fuel trim compensation. The ECU only uses the learned 40+ to adjust in OL. So if the 40..has no correction, your OL fueling will remain intact with no adjustements fromt he ECU.

What some people do to avoid it messing up open loop fueling is to disable the airflow range 40 g/sec + of fuel trim compensation. The ECU only uses the learned 40+ to adjust in OL. So if the 40..has no correction, your OL fueling will remain intact with no adjustements fromt he ECU.

Yep I've done that before. And to be honest it's fine 75%+ of the time. But it's wrong enough of the time that for me it's not worth using. It's like if you had an e-mail spam filter that constantly ate your important messages even though you've told it not to. I just get tired of fighting with it. :lol:

I can see why it's useful on vehicles where the maf hasn't been precisely calibrated and/or the end user may make changes without re-calibrating the maf. And it makes sense on a stock vehicle.

Here is the MAF sheet for your map that I created in excel. I use it to graph scalings to help get them smoother and also to keep a history of all changes in case I need to go back to an earlier version.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn215/weitek/mafsheet.jpg

yep weitek is the MAF master. :)

No dude, Moon Master. Get it right!

Seriously though, I wouldn't call myself a master. It's just that after tuning an APS 70mm intake anything else seems like child's play.

Archived