LegacyGT.com

Ceramic pads + stock rotors?

z28dreams

Hi all,

I just picked up a pair of Wagner Thermoquiet brake pads to replace my front brakes. However, I didn't notice from the description that they were ceremic pads.

Can these be used with the stock rotors on the car?

I'm at around 35k miles.

Ceramic pads are crap for the most part. That's why stocker create deposits and vibration.

Quiet + low dust = no brakes

I disagree with this completely. Pad and rotor wear rates do not directly correlate to braking force.

To answer the OP's question, it's fine. You can use them. No need to resurface the rotors either, though it would be best if you bedded them in properly.

Warren

The Thermoquiets are very decent pads for the daily driver. I recommend them to many.

Just because they are ceramic doesnt mean they suck ;) Cobalt Friction, Carbotech are a couple off the top of my head that use ceramic based formulations in their compounds.

Warren, you must be bored.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

I am biased against ceramics for sure. With some exceptions (Endless SSM, but even these can be questioned) if there is no dust on rims the pads don't stop well enough ;)

I am biased against ceramics for sure. With some exceptions (Endless SSM, but even these can be questioned) if there is no dust on rims the pads don't stop well enough ;)

True, but that is the compound. Not all ceramics are dustless ;)

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

I disagree with this completely. Pad and rotor wear rates do not directly correlate to braking force.

To answer the OP's question, it's fine. You can use them. No need to resurface the rotors either, though it would be best if you bedded them in properly.

Warren

that is 100% correct!

how much actual braking performance if any do you lose with ceramics? i.e. take a stock LGT and to use a number for a comparison say it will stop in 130' 60 to 0 now use the same car and with no other changes except for a premium set of ceramic pads properly installed/bedded. what would be the numbers be now?
Stay Stock Stay Happy

should be better if you used aggressive pads, But stopping distance from 60 is more about tire than brakes. You want 100-0 to test out brakes.

i understand all that what i asked was what am i giving up with ceramics vs the stock pads using the comparison in my post. same car same tires same road conditions different pads.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived