LegacyGT.com

is my ob considered RARE

ive seen other forums and searched all over the net and i think i reached the end, so im asking you. ok so here it is. i have a 99 legacy ob lmtd 30th aniversary. now i know thats NOT rare, so heres the options that i have on the vehicle: 5 speed trans( i heard they only made 528 of these), leather dual heated seats, heated mirrors, heated windshield wipers and windshield wiper fluid(winter ready lol), cd player(which got replaced by a kenwood double din), power everything, fold down back SEAT(backRESTS fold down too but my back SEAT folds forward as well, havent seen that b 4). i dont have the dual sunroofs :( but i do have this stupid little sunglass holder. when i bought the car it had minimal surface rust which is being fixed this summer or fall, underneath is rynoline sprayed, it had 139000 miles but i put a new engine in it 6 months ago, and the best part is, i paid 3200 for it, and from what ive been told, i stole it. so having said all that.... is this a rare model or am i just getting too happy about this car. btw, its a bitch finding aftermarket parts for 96 to 99 outbacks lol.

more pics please!
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

update: i added some pics for th nonbelievers of my options lol. btw non of these are aftermarket. believe what you want, they came with the car from the factory. i am the 3rd owner and i have done my research and talked personally with the original owner. these were all installed by subaru. the only pic i cant post YET is the hinged back seat cause its dark out and my flashlight wont cover that much area so pics will be posted tomorrow of the back seat thats hinged. so now tell me if i have a rare ob, lol

oh I'm not a non-believer, I just wanted to admire your car more. avatar pic isn't enough. where are the pics?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

The "dual heated seats, heated mirrors, heated windshield wipers and windshield wiper fluid" was part of a cold weather package on most Outbacks sold in the snowbelt, some on the Limited (which had leather and some other options) models, some not. Outbacks had power everything, that's why it was an Outback instead of a Legacy wagon. It should have an intermittant rear wiper, which the base Outbacks did not have.

You paid a fair price for the condition, assuming you knew in advance about the head gasket issues. These cars have a black mark due to engine problems so the resale value has been crushed.

subaruoutback.org has more info on these types of Subarus. Ultimatesubaru is best for maintenance issues.

There is no room for bigger tires and the engine has pretty high output already in a heavy chassis. Best to drive it for what it is. Enjoy.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Thanx vvg. I was looing around on other forums and thought I might have come across a diamond in th rough lol. And c lo just click on the avatar and then on the pic that says my scooby and it should take you to all my other pics

nice pics. like the lights up front. what kind are you running?

that sounds just like my car, short of the folding rear seat, 30th anv., color, and year. dual sunroofs didn't come with the manual for some reason. in the grand scheme of things, manual transmission wagons are rare, but for this car, it's not too unique.

^^^^

And c lo just click on the avatar and then on the pic that says my scooby and it should take you to all my other pics

yeah sure!!:rolleyes:

ok. called some people. i can get collector plates. the only problem is i have to show documentation of what number my car was on that assembly line (ex. 345 of 528). i called subaru of america and their looking into it, but who knows if theyll be any help. ive already checked the title and it doesnt have that number. usually when a car manufacturer makes very few of one car like this, they stamp somewhere on it the number the car was on the production line, does anyone know if this is true for the limited 5 speed.

http://www.cars101.com/outback_archive98-99.html#1999 Outback wagons

It seems that the anniversary edition is just a rebadged limited with a few extras at least for the 1998 version. For all intensive purposes the 30th Anniversary Edition was more of a trim line than a true limited edition as this particular line was run for an entire production year rather than an actual limited production. In fact, while the 1998's had some differences from the standard Outback Limited, the 1999 was just the Outback Limited with a badge thrown on it and didn't even qualify for it's own trim line. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but I would highly doubt a standard production car qualifies for collector plates. The 30th Anniversary Edition was more a sales ploy and commemorative than an actual collector thing.

I just seem to be running around crushing people’s dreams today. I feel horrible.

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

well thats where i was confused, my title does say 98 and my vin year digit is w which is 98. but the confusing part was what to classify 30 years to be, from the foundation or the first production vehicle. i found that the first production subaru was in 69, but i could be wrong.

i know its not a "collector" but ohio law is that if a manufacurer made less than i think 1000 of a certain model or line of cars (528 of ob limited 5 speed) then i can get collector plates. maybe everyone is misunderstanding me. i started this thread because i wasnt sure too much about subaru. then i found out my car is 1 of 528. question answered. im not trying to say my is a collector, but i can get collector plates (to aviod echeck is all i want) if soa can give me documents to prove that. btw called soa and their lookin up records to see if they even are able to give me anything on it

:spin: 1998.... hardly a "collector" car. sorry

The definition of what a collector car is considered to be is along the same lines of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Take for instance a 1998 Toyota Supra. Many people would consider that that a collector's car.

If this Outback is 1 of 528, I personally think it could be considered a collector's item.

i know its not a "collector" but ohio law is that if a manufacurer made less than i think 1000 of a certain model or line of cars (528 of ob limited 5 speed) then i can get collector plates. maybe everyone is misunderstanding me. i started this thread because i wasnt sure too much about subaru. then i found out my car is 1 of 528. question answered. im not trying to say my is a collector, but i can get collector plates (to aviod echeck is all i want) if soa can give me documents to prove that. btw called soa and their lookin up records to see if they even are able to give me anything on it
I could drive around tomorrow and find half a dozen cars just like yours, altough I'm sure it's rare in Ohio.

It's not rare or unique, but if you like it, that's all that matters.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived