LegacyGT.com

Simple question - Why is Subaru's AWD better than Audi's?

I've searched and read through a whole bunch of threads where people don't know what they are talking about. It doesn't have to be on the LGT specifically, it could be on the WRX STi, hopefully someone can explain. :)

I have a long word doc that explains all the differences. I am getting rid of my Audi and I now have the LGT limited. I think the Audi system is superior. It ueses gears (torsen system) rather than the viscous system in the Subie and a lot of other cars. The torsen system is heavier, but acts more constantly. I also agree that the Audis break down far too much and that is why I am a subie driver now. The Audi will go anywhere without ANY wheel spin. I have never seen any wheel spin in any amount of deep snow or on solid ice in the Audi. I can't hope for that on the Subie from what I have read. The Subie should do fine though. I won't miss going to the snobby Audi service either (two weeks for an appointment)........

I have a long word doc that explains all the differences. I am getting rid of my Audi and I now have the LGT limited. I think the Audi system is superior. It ueses gears (torsen system) rather than the viscous system in the Subie and a lot of other cars. The torsen system is heavier, but acts more constantly. I also agree that the Audis break down far too much and that is why I am a subie driver now. The Audi will go anywhere without ANY wheel spin. I have never seen any wheel spin in any amount of deep snow or on solid ice in the Audi. I can't hope for that on the Subie from what I have read. The Subie should do fine though. I won't miss going to the snobby Audi service either (two weeks for an appointment)........

The reason the Audi will "go anywhere without wheelspin" is thanks to the brake based traction control system. However, the minute your brakes overheat, you're screwed since you've got open front and rear diffs (without traction control to help). Also, if your electronics decide to go belly-up (which isn't hard to imagine on an Audi) then you're hosed as well.

I'm not sure about the previous reference to Audi traction control and whether it is intended to signify ESP exclusive of the Torsen Quattro or not - but taken as a synergistic system there is more going on than just braking - right down to engine management intervention... Regardless, it took a lot of the fun out of the car, and I even believe I came to rely on it too much - knowing it would be there to bail me out. I drive more responsibly (which is admittedly a relative assessment ;) ) without it. ALthough I'll admit I might want it there by the time we get around to getting one for my wife.

Guys just for the record my Audi A4 DOESN'T have the EDL system you guys are talking about. In 2001 the Sedan 1.8T didn't have it. The wagon did (go figure). It has a dummy panel where the EDL switch should be. I do agree the A4 has no power to spin tires, but I still think it is an better system all around.

EDL = Electronic Differential Locks. To my knowledge there is no way to disable it with an "EDL" button. My friend's 02 S4 contains no such button. It's integrated with the traction control system (which uses brakes and throttle control) and an integral part of the Quattro system.

Perhaps you are referring to ESP, which is Electronic Stability Program (by Bosch) which uses an angular rate sensor along with a steering sensor to determine when the vehicle deviates from the intended path due to under or oversteer and uses the ABS system to brake an individual wheel. Independent of EDL or traction control (but probably running in the same microprocessor).

EDL = Electronic Differential Locks. To my knowledge there is no way to disable it with an "EDL" button. My friend's 02 S4 contains no such button. It's integrated with the traction control system (which uses brakes and throttle control) and an integral part of the Quattro system.

Perhaps you are referring to ESP, which is Electronic Stability Program (by Bosch) which uses an angular rate sensor along with a steering sensor to determine when the vehicle deviates from the intended path due to under or oversteer and uses the ABS system to brake an individual wheel. Independent of EDL or traction control (but probably running in the same microprocessor).

Like he siad, the EDL is the reason you don't get any wheel spin.

I personally would rather have a true limited slip differential.

-Nick

Personally, I wouldnt say that AUDI is better than Subaru or Vice Versa. AUDI certainly can handle the power out put of their BULLETPROOF RS6 and RS4 which is fantastic. Our system is a little more sedate and maybe a bit more polished. Both systems have their advantages.

Adam.

Archived