LegacyGT.com

qualified to do a good tune?

phuzaxeman

i've been stock (engine/intake wise) for 70k miles now. car runs great cause my personal mechanic tunes my stocker well. if i add a catback or downpipe in the future, can my mechanic retune my car without me having to buy the accessport in the future? advantages disadvantages? as long as i've owned my car this stuff is still new to me....:)

If you want your car tuned, take it to someone who knows how to tune. Being able to perform a tune-up does not mean that one is qualified to tune these machines.

thanks then....you answered my question :-)

...and people who say "yeah I know how to tune" may not actually know what they're talking about. Do your homework before you commit. Or just hire Infamous1, and you won't need to guess about the quality and experience.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Yeah....the accessport ECU tuning is way different than a "tune up". The tune up is purely mechanical. The tune is when someone goes into the computer electronically and changes how it does A/F ratios, ignition timing, valve timing, turbo boost control...all that stuff. It's way more complicated, and not something that most mechanics can do. You need special equipment and training to do a proper tune, and most people don't even know that it's possible to mess with an ECU.

thanks for the clarification :-)

i know a pro tuner that specializes in subies....does that mean i won't need to get an accessport if i decide to get catback, upipe, etc?

You will need to do some form of ECU tuning (accessport or open source) if you swap out your down pipe for an aftermarket one, or if you gut it. There's not a lot of benefit to changing your UP if you're going to leave in your stock DP. You have to pull out the DP to get to the rear UP-to-turbo nut to replace it. People will say you need engine management for just a catback, but then a lot of people stay with a stock tune with catback and aren't going to blow their motor. If you're going to go stage 2, it's an expensive car so might as well do it right.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived