LegacyGT.com

Help: Purchasing my 1st Subaru

Hi guys,

I'm new here. I'm thinking about purchasing my first Subaru. I'm strongly considering a Subaru Legacy sedan. There's one that I saw online that I'm thinking about looking at this weekend. It's a 2008 with just over 15k miles and the dealer is asking just over 16k for it. It's a Subaru certified vehicle. It is a 4 speed automatic and is the base 2.5i edition. 1st off, do you guys think that's a good deal? The color is dark gray metallic. Is that a good color on a Legacy? I can't decide between that color, newport blue or the quartz silver metallic. I would appreciate any input.

Thank you!

Shaun

Unfortunately, I don't know your location. There are some good tools on the web to verify what you "should" be paying. I personally use Kelly blue book and edmunds.com. Edmunds will give you the trade in, sale price, and true market value based on zip code and accessories. I find that using both websites give you some decent leverage on your puchase. The price is pretty fair, though. In any case, color is a personal preference. I like the silver and the gray. Nothing beats looking at it up close and personal.

Well, I really don't want or need a turbo. I don't want to pay the extra money on the car and insurance and I really have no need for that much extra power. The one concern I have is that this particular model doesn't have the VDC/traction control option. It must be the base 2.5i model. Am I really missing out by not having that feature or should the AWD and 4 wheel disc brakes be enough?

I had GT's since my 98' never had VDC so I don't know what I'm missing. All my cars are manual tranny's. I do most of my driving in Winter, I ski 65+ day's a season. I have a ton of winter driving stories, even 5 hours driving in a big snow storm, n0 issues.

Just use your head in the bad weather.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Let me give you my $0.02 - I've had quite a variety of cars in my 22 years of driving. If you like sporty & power - you really want a GT. On this spectrum, I have had a WRX, WRX STi, Audi S4 (twin turbo), BMW M3 and several Mustang GTs & Cobra's. I always loved the power.

For my latest car, I just needed something to go from point A to point B - but with a little style. I teach middle school (so income is looooow) and live only 2 miles from there. So, I went with the 2009 Legacy Special Edition. It's got all the looks and styling of the GT (minus the scoop and some other extras) - just minimal horsepower. But, I don't need the pony's now - so it just made sense. Do I miss the thrill of stomping on the pedal and feeling the boxter scream? Sure, once in a while. Do I regret the non-GT? Not one bit. This Legacy is beautiful and rides very nice. It meets all my needs and I got an amazing deal on it ($7,000 cash back and 2.5% APR). For a teacher, this makes sense!

I would appreciate any input.

Thank you!

Shaun

Check out brand new ones also as the incentives may get you a brand new Legacy with VDC(standard in 2009) for a few thousand more and finance rate is likely less too. Look at payments on both and then decide what is best.

Not sure what the certified warranty is however and may provide more coverage than a brand new Leggy.

Well, I really don't want or need a turbo. I don't want to pay the extra money on the car and insurance and I really have no need for that much extra power. The one concern I have is that this particular model doesn't have the VDC/traction control option. It must be the base 2.5i model. Am I really missing out by not having that feature or should the AWD and 4 wheel disc brakes be enough?

You don't need VDC. I don't have it, and I have NEVER gone into a slide I wasn't asking for (except one time but I got out of it no prob). Just buy good tires (your life may someday depend on it).

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

You don't need VDC/stability control if you know how to drive, unfortunately many people don't which is why it's now (or soon it will be) required on new cars.

GTs have a rear LSD which basically does the same thing, saves your bacon if you're driving a little bit too fast. If you're driving way too fast, nothing is going to save you.

As for insurance, depending on your age a GT won't be that much more than a 2.5i. Unlike a WRX or Evo, which will be way more expensive to insure.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Since you guys are already talking about it here.

There is an 09 Special Edition used, with 12k miles on it that I'm thinking of getting from a dealer down the street. They want around 17 for it. (Of course I'd rather get a GT but payments etc).

How would insurance be do you think on this car vs my current VW GLI i'd be trading in?

My premiums seem high on the GLI.

where did you get 7k cash back and 2.5 Rlarose? If I could get those kind of numbers I could get a new 09 S.E. too.

Right now looking for a deal on a lightly used one if I can get what I need to out of my trade.

It was a weekend deal (May 30th) at Manchester Subaru in NH. Hopped all over that one!!

Well I made the purchase. I chose a 2009 Legacy special edition with a 2.5i AT. quartz silver metallic with black interior. I got it at Carter Subaru in Seattle and it was the best car buying experience I've had yet. They had a batch of '09 Legacy's coming in so they were trying to get rid of the ones they had there. I got it for $18,995 with rebates and internet discount.

I don't have any VDC, and I have never experienced situations where VDC had been useful with the Legacy. So don't put too much effort into the VDC requirement. Get a set of winter wheels to the car instead, that's a much better alternative. Neither ABS nor VDC can make any stopping distance better, but a set of good tires can.

The NA is more boring, but also a bit more economic. A 3.0 can also be an alternative, but then the fuel consumption goes up a bit. The turbo will of course provide a lot more fun and is easy to tune.

453747.png

enjoy the new car... as for the insurance going up.... mine actually went DOWN when I went from an Impreza 2.5RS to my LGT.... I'm sure part of that was the type of car and safety standards etc... but you shouldn't assume that insurance will be more just because it has more power.... a LOT more goes into the calculation. But if you don't want or need the power, don't pay for it and the added maintenance... just makes sense.

Good Idea jumping on an end of model deal too. Best of luck I'm sure you'll love your Suby :)

Being that it's a base 2.5i AT, should I use regular or synthetic oil? I'm not sure what type of oil is in there now being that I bought it brand new. I'm guessing it's regular because I've heard that the soonest you should use synthetic oil is at 7500 miles which would be my first oil change.

I'm on regular oil with 108,000 miles, turbo's happy.

I'm using Mobil 5000 10-30 or 5-30 depending the season. I have used Pennzoil high mileage in March but used the Mobil 2 weeks ago. Before Mobil I used Shell or Exxon whatever was on sale at Wall Mart.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived