LegacyGT.com

New continental UHPAS offering

JoeFromPA

• 2 weeks later...
Any update? Am thinking of trying these on the wife's Impreza. Only $3 more than the ContiExtreme Contacts with a treadwear rating rating of 540 vs 400. Am still wondering how they managed that on a W-rated tire.
Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I am very pleased with the new conti's.

Overall they are leaps and bounds better than my old yoko a82's.

The ride quality is great and they don't hum on the highway.

They handle very well and they did great in the little bit of rain that we've had. I will post again, once I've been able to take them through an all out downpour or other conditions.

I am very pleased with the new conti's.

Overall they are leaps and bounds better than my old yoko a82's.

The ride quality is great and they don't hum on the highway.

They handle very well and they did great in the little bit of rain that we've had. I will post again, once I've been able to take them through an all out downpour or other conditions.

The vast majority of customer reviews on tirerack.com seem to state problems like "vibrations" and "balancing issues" with these tires. Have you had any such problems?

Given how widely regarded the orig version of this tire was in the snow, I'll be really interested to hear how this one does by comparison.

Thanks,

Tim

I haven't had any problems with vibrations or balancing issues. My rims and tires were balanced with normal/ non-road force balancing. Not sure if that would make any sort of difference or not, but I figured I would throw it out there.

So far they have been very well mannered and handled anything I've thrown at them. Keep in mind I do have a 2.5i, so I can't throw tons at them...lol

I haven't had any problems with vibrations or balancing issues. My rims and tires were balanced with normal/ non-road force balancing. Not sure if that would make any sort of difference or not, but I figured I would throw it out there.

So far they have been very well mannered and handled anything I've thrown at them. Keep in mind I do have a 2.5i, so I can't throw tons at them...lol

No, that's actually helpful info!

Believe me, some of the tires I've had on my '05 OB XT and disliked--I'm confident I would've also disliked them on a 168hp version of my car, as well :)

You seem to be about the only person here who's pulled the trigger on these tires, so pls do keep us informed!

Much appreciated,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
So how have these been doing since those with them have put some miles on? I did the math and these (Conti DWS) are still about $20 less each than Pilot Sport AS Plus's even after a total of $130 in rebates on the Michelins. Plus the Contis can be rotated side to side where the Pilot's can't.

• 3 months later...

I just put a set of the Conti DWS in 235/40/18 on my LGT and I'm experiencing the vibration problem intermitently above 65. I bought them from Discount Tire Direct and they have offered to pay for me to have them road force balanced. If that doesn't work they are going to send me a new set. I've had them balanced twice and the shop said it looks like there is some runout between the I.D and O.D. of the tire. I'll see what happens...

Besided the vibration these tires have been amazing in the rain (we've had 12"+ in the last 6 weeks here in STL), almost better handling than dry. Also, A++ service from Discount Tire Direct: very helpful and willing to do what it takes to make your buying experience a pleasant one.

When I tried these tires I had the same issue. After the second try I went to a different shop and they told me that the tires were not round, they could see the tread moving up and down.

I really liked the performance of the tires, but I couldn't get rid of the vibration.

^^^This is what makes me question these tires. How do you keep letting this happen? A few times I can understand but repeated complaints that are all the same? Not good, IMO. I'm starting to think it would be a lot wiser to get snows on the factory wheels and spring for some RPF1's and summer rubber come the end of winter.

MPS ASes FTW - on the 3rd set - original (30K+) and replacement 225/45x17s (still have 30K left in them) and now upgraded to 225/40x18s . Love the MPS ASes - will not go back to any of the CEC series.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

None, zero, zip. One of the reasons I like them is they are excellent Dry, Wet. Snow and Ice tires, and they wear a long, long time.

As soon as the snow falls in the SoCal mountains, we head up and it can vary from a small whisk of snow on ice to full-blown, pushing heavy wet snow with the bumper kinds of snow. Been in about 8-10 inches of heavy, wet virgin snow on ice and they performed perfectly, great adhesion, steering and stopping. Slush and crappy winter surfaces equally confident.

The MPS ASes are perfect for this environment because when you head down the mountains, you're usually in boatloads of water from the snow and then rain as you get to the lower elevations. And I have yet to break them loose on dry even at 20K+ miles. Phenomenal handling and barely louder than the RE92Aes for road noise.

Definitely worth considering. I don't like the CECs because they tramline so darn much and that can get squirrelly in slush and snowy conditions. That said, these newest editions may have minimized that, but I'd want a lot of real-world data to convince me that it's changed any.

Are you running MPS Plus (the newest versions)?

I'm curious if the 50k mile treadwear warranty actually holds up. Even if they get 40k out of them before getting down to 4/32nds tread, I'd be pretty happy. 4/32nds is when I start to question leaving tires on, generally speaking.

Gota a new set of stock-sized BFG g-Force Sport's installed a month ago for my '05 LGT wagon. Front outer wheel got chunked up very badly at Sears Point HPDE a month ago. I'll probably easily need new tires again after a few months of daily-driving.

Thoughts on a tire that are good daily drivers but can withstand the beating from an HPDE?

Archived