LegacyGT.com

Couple of Suspension Questions before I pull the trigger

Ok,

I've been putting suspension mods on the backburner for awhile. It's something I've been planning for a while, and now I'm about ready to get everything I need. But even after doing a lot of research, I still have some questions.

I've been pretty much set on getting the Bilstein HD's for the struts. My question is, do we really need to have JDM "tophats" (don't even know what those are), and if so where do I find them? And if someone has reason to think there are better struts available than the HD's, let me know what that is. I want to explore every possibility.

As for the Springs, I'm pretty set on the Swift Springs. But I was wondering how many 2.5i's have Swifts? I know the Legacy GT is a little heavier in the front and thats what the Swift Springs are made for. But will this difference adversely affect the 2.5i? I'm really trying to keep the nose of my car down when I'm launching at the track. It probably costs me a good half second in my 1/4 mile times.

Any suggestions or comments please leave them, I want to explore all my options now that the time has come.

JDM tophats = USDM spec B top hats; if you purchase the package from fredbeansparts you won't have to go hunting for them. they refer to the upper mounts on the struts.

swift springs should work fine, as far as the weight diff goes, it's minimal and can vary depending the transmission type.

just remember not to install the dome washer on the bilsteins, read snowGTRI's recent review and also the jdm suspension guide etc

might want to also do the bumpstop mod to give a touch more travel since the swift springs will lower the car quite a bit. but the ride should be good once said and done, i've been in GTs with that setup

as whitetiger said, Koni struts or coilovers FTW

the Spec.B tophats actually raise the front of the car a little bit, which isnt something you'd want for dragging, and also the weird stance of having the front higher

i wasnt 100% certain on the tophat question too. i have the Rallitek springs and ive been satisfied with them. my OEM struts have 40K on them now and the Ralliteks have been on for less than 10K. so ill need to rplc my struts in the coming months, but i dont see any track time on mine. but thanks for posing this question.

I'm running JDM SpecB Rev.A Bilsteins (front) and HD rears with Swift springs. These have the JDM tophats for the front and custom perches on the shock body for the rear (to keep the rear level, not sagging). (that mod is mentioned here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69049)

The ride is pretty stiff but nicely controlled - I'm happy with the setup.

that's a heck of a deal.

BC Racing seems to have really good reviews despite being manufactured in the same place as Megan's, which baffles me.

Stance seems to have a lot of a good reviews too

Archived