LegacyGT.com

370Z Test Drive

I just test-drove an auto 370Z tonight. Had a Calsonic exhaust-- is that a factory-installed or a dealer-installed option? Very nice, substantial, harmonic exhaust tone. LOADS of readily available power on tap. The VDC status light blinked a lot, warning me I was trying to break traction. The ride felt a bit more plush than the outgoing 350Z's. The white seam stitching all around the center console and dash pays homage to more exotic pedigrees with leather-stitched dashes. Overall, the interior has a very aggressive, futuristic Bat-mobile design theme about it-- highly angular shapes, gauges now digitized into various status lights, etc. If I remember correctly (because someone else did it for me), I don't remember there being a mechanical exterior door handle which would unlatch the door anymore. I think it was this button you press on the door handle which then unlatches the door.

I tried going WOT in a straight line on a closed-off road, with the VDC off. I remember that in an E46 M3 SMG the back can get squirrely simply due to all that torque going through the wheels. The 370Z didn't exhibit any of that-- very planted and sure-footed. I'm sure the 245/275 F/R's helped, vs the E46 M3's 225/255 F/R's.

The slushbox's response is nearly instantaneous from paddle input in manual mode. Nissan seems to have engineered the manual mode to almost simulate a traditional manual transmission's experience. When I was upshifting @ WOT, a sequence occurred where the engine would rev without load, as if a traditional clutch was disengaged, before popping and locking up into the next gear up. Down-shifts produced instant rev-match and engagement of the lower gear. Getting back into my 5EAT made me feel like it was made of molasses.

I remember having a lot of trouble just trying to get into a G35 coupe or 350Z. Entering the 370Z was a bit challenging, but I surprisingly fit comfortably snug inside. It passed my headroom test.

It's a lot more raw and guttural than my BP 5EAT, but actually more refined and slightly softer than the outgoing 350Z. There'd be no justice if this car didn't see any track time.

Man, this car really brings back good memories... sigh...

If you keep the options to a minimum its a great car for the money. Too bad it seats only two.

Perplexing how the GTR has 4 seats, not that the rear is useable except for children.

You know how some of the dimensions shrank? When the 370Z was parked next to a 350Z, we noticed the amount of trunk space had decreased in the newer car as well. The shrinkage is definitely noticeable.

You know how some of the dimensions shrank? When the 370Z was parked next to a 350Z, we noticed the amount of trunk space had decreased in the newer car as well. The shrinkage is definitely noticeable.

Keep your personal life out of this :lol::lol: (j/k)

Back on topic, Yes I did notice the trunk space was quite smaller compared to the 350.

I've heard that nissan is unreliable tho is that true? plus the 0-60 on this car being RWD only is only comparable to an LGT with light mods.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

for the price if you want straight line speed, get a new Camaro. hehe

The Z looks like it handles nicely

The new camaro out brakes the 370z and cayman s, i found that to be interesting.

The only thing i have foudn to be unreliable about nissans is the 6 speed manual tranny. Its weak as hell

How fast does it eat brake pads?

Pulling 2 tons down from speed that fast has to be hard on something... physics is physics...

I wish the 370Z wasn't so darn UGLY. Otherwise it seems nice enough for what it is, and it's price. The G37 looks better, but weighs nearly 500lbs more, just for the addition of rear coupe seats...

I wish other companies would see G37 as a target to be competitive with... So far only Hyundai has stepped up to that plate of non-retro RWD sport coupes below $35K. G37 or the odd 1-series and Audi's A5, when optioned with the stuff most people would want, are over 35K, or even over $40K.

The new camaro out brakes the 370z and cayman s, i found that to be interesting.

The only thing i have foudn to be unreliable about nissans is the 6 speed manual tranny. Its weak as hell

Camaro SS comes with huge brakes and nice big, sticky tires. The weights on the calipers on the one I looked at made me :lol: though

How fast does it eat brake pads?

Pulling 2 tons down from speed that fast has to be hard on something... physics is physics...

I wish the 370Z wasn't so darn UGLY. Otherwise it seems nice enough for what it is, and it's price. The G37 looks better, but weighs nearly 500lbs more, just for the addition of rear coupe seats...

I wish other companies would see G37 as a target to be competitive with... So far only Hyundai has stepped up to that plate of non-retro RWD sport coupes below $35K. G37 or the odd 1-series and Audi's A5, when optioned with the stuff most people would want, are over 35K, or even over $40K.

Oh noes im eating through brake pads in my PERFORMANCE CAR. Dont buy one if you cant deal with the maintanence. How much does a cayman take to maintain especially with all the horror stories of the engines going under 20kmiles.

Camaro SS comes with huge brakes and nice big, sticky tires. The weights on the calipers on the one I looked at made me :lol: though

You dont think the g37 and cayman S have the same stuff?

The SSs i saw didnt have the caliper weights, i guess it was just the early ones.

Interesting how one of the first G35's design goals was to be competitive to the ultimate entry-level sports sedan at the time, the 3-series. Today we have a bigger selection in that niche to choose from. However, I don't view the Hyundai Genesis coupe being in the same niche and competing against G35's, BMW's, Audi's. Their marketing campaign certainly doesn't seem to portray that message-- we'd be hearing smooth jazz or euro-downtempo soundtracks instead of a screaming Billy Corgan.

What happens to Cayman engines @ 20K miles??

I've heard that nissan is unreliable tho is that true? plus the 0-60 on this car being RWD only is only comparable to an LGT with light mods.

i can say as far as the 350z goes (which i had before my lgt) i was over 100k on the odo i drove the shait out of it and it had not one issue.

Interesting how one of the first G35's design goals was to be competitive to the ultimate entry-level sports sedan at the time, the 3-series. Today we have a bigger selection in that niche to choose from.

I am not sure the selection is so much different... circa 2003 was not that long ago.

However, I don't view the Hyundai Genesis coupe being in the same niche and competing against G35's, BMW's, Audi's. Their marketing campaign certainly doesn't seem to portray that message-- we'd be hearing smooth jazz or euro-downtempo soundtracks instead of a screaming Billy Corgan.

It isn't intended to. The V6 model of GenCoupe has a similar configuration to the G37, but they are a bit different in price. GenCoupe is supposed to go after Mustang, sans the retro bit. It is almost more of a RWD alternative to the Altima Coupe, and thus perhaps actually a competent performer. It doesn't have the expectation of being entry-lux.

I wish more options were available in that segment. If GenCoupe didn't have the sagging quarter windows, and puckered grille, and maybe a limited edition Tau V8 limited-edition halo model, It would be a no-brainer. I wish G37 had a G50 5.0 VVEL V8 option, though, too.

What happens to Cayman engines @ 20K miles??

I've not heard of much happening to Cayman engines. Earlier base boxster engines, and less than 20% of them, showed some rear main seal issue potential, and bent pieces of rotating assembly. The occurrence was rare, but not unheard of, and it was unfortunate when it did happen, and Porsche has stepped up to cover most of the buyers, from what I have read. Not a perfect situation, but not as bad as internet hype has made it out to be.

The new model has a newer engine design, btw... and the larger displacement models of the M96 engines, even Boxster S and Cayman S, have less likelyhood of such issues.

--------

But if we're playing tit-for-tat, I'll just mention Camaro's issue with a chaffing battery cable that has left cars with less than 100 miles as dead weight until the wiring was repaired. How does THAT get by quality control? And wheel weights on brake calipers... seriously... How long did GM take to bring this car to market?

And my comment about brake pads... was just to point out the sheer mass of that behemoth. Cayman S also has big brakes... that have 1000lbs less mass to bring down. That 1000lbs of extra mass also doesn't exist to have to accelerate, or to keel-haul to change direction. As I said, physics is physics.

At least GenCoupe weighs roughly what BL Legacy GT does, and Mustang GT with options just a bit more. Camaro, Challenger, G8, G37, and others range from 3700 to 4000+lbs. Cayman is just under 3000lbs.

370Z is at least on the right track, and decreasing in weight, compared to the previous version, down to 32-3400lbs. I want to like the architecture of that car, but it is just so darn ugly... What have you done, Nissan? Painted green, that thing would look more like a frog than Kermit.

Archived