LegacyGT.com

Old Man crashes 4 times on test drive

StoplightAssassin

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont even know what thats supposed to mean.. but considering the number of accidents and tickets I've had in my life.. I'm pretty sure you have more of both.

if you dont make a mistake driving every so often.. you're probably not driving at all.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

you might look at it differently when you turn 62 and some "youngin" wants to take your drivers license away.. especially if you haven't retired yet... or would like to live out your dream of touring the countryside.

again.. this is a VERY SMALL NUMBER of people that do this kind of thing.

We shouldn't throw away our elders.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

you might look at it differently when you turn 62 and some "youngin" wants to take your drivers license away.. especially if you haven't retired yet... or would like to live out your dream of touring the countryside.

again.. this is a VERY SMALL NUMBER of people that do this kind of thing.

We shouldn't throw away our elders.

Thats why if you pass the test, there is no issue.

If a person is older and losing their physical/mental abilities that directly affect driving, it is not only extremely dangerous to continue to drive, it is selfish to put your own wants in front of other people's safety.

yes comrade.. we must always put the collective ahead of self.

I know what your'e saying.. but yo have to avoid this "there aught to be a law" mentality.. you give up yours and my freedoms by having it.

it can also be called the "law of unintended consequences."

So my wife works as an Optometrist assistant and has old people always in. I talked to her about this and she said that probably like 7 or 8 out of every 10 patients she see's that is elderly tells stories of the DMV and how they couldn't read the sign but the nice person behind the counter still let them slide by.

I agree its not every old person that has this problem but I also think that the workers and society give to much leeway to the elderly and the potential risk that the rest of us must absorb from this leniency is just something we are suppose to deal with? all because these people have lived longer and are wiser?

Test them every 2 years and if they can still manage to do it then they get to drive. Either that or allow me to take there keys if I see them driving dangerously.

how would you feel at 61 if you had to go to some kind of test like this and they took your license away.. and you werent going to retire until you were 65? You could drive fine.. had a clean accident record..

how are you going to get to work? What about your job, your groceries?

what if you're older and your husband/wife has passed.. how are you going to get groceries?

law of unintended consequences..

you try to make things better for "society" and you hurt millions of people without a good reason.

sometimes we need to look less at adding additional laws and restrictions on our society and look at doing things w/o giving power to those who seek it.

if a cop sees an old lady doing 25 on the interstate or swerving all over the road.. he can pull her over and THEN they can test them.. but age alone is not grounds for this kind of thing.

innocent until proven guilty.. if you're testing people its the equivalent of having a cop following you around all day and making note of any and all violations you make.. you will screw up if you are looked at closely enough. We're all human, we all make mistakes.

Here in california a few years ago there was an old man that was driving in downtown santa monica. He meant to press the brake but slammed down the gas. He took out something like 50+ people and I believe killed 1 or so.

These are the things I'm trying to prevent. The accidents are one thing but the people actually getting hurt is another. I've gone head on almost into an old women driving down my side of the street in palm springs at about 45mph. I've just seen it way to much and really feel that we need to do something to try and prevent these things from happening rather then dealing with them once they do happen.

I agree, but short of calling people to carousel when the crystal in their hand turns black theres not a whole lot we can do other than have traffic officers look out for old people that might be behaving in this manner.

I feel like every thread on this forum has turned into a political debate.

I am not sure if people at age 60 should be retested to drive, 70 sounds a little more realistic. I just took drivers improvement class and I will tell you the scariest driving statistics point to the young and restless and the old and diagnosed. If there are such high penalties for those under 18 (at least in VA) why aren't there any penalties for the elderly?

I am not saying every elderly person needs to be retested at age 60. I am saying that at the least once they are >= 70 and get into an accident, get a speeding ticket, or any other serious citation, that there driving should be reevaluated.

This may be just a refresher driving course designed for the elderly. Especially considering that there are new driving policies and laws implemented every year.

And Hell I think most people would benefit from drivers improvement.

Out of the three people I've had driving at me head-on on the wrong side of the highway, all three of them were elderly.

I've already slammed on my brakes twice today to avoid hitting seniors.

Once last week while driving my 27ft work truck I narrowly avoided pancaking an old guy who literally pulled right out in front of me. He never even flinched...I don't think he saw me. If you can't see a big, white, 27 foot long and 13 foot high truck you have no business driving.

I don't think just seniors should be retested...I think everybody should be retested every couple of years with the time between test intervals decreasing as you get older.

you try to make things better for "society" and you hurt millions of people without a good reason.

I'd rather hurt a person by having them get their groceries delivered than have myself hurt by being thrown through my windshield in a bloody mess and perminently handicapped because I didn't want to test an elderly person's ability to drive safely because it could hurt their feelings. :rolleyes:

Re-tests for older folks. Then harder tests for younger people. As much as old folks are a problem, there are some people out there that are young that suck at driving just as much. Overall the test should be harder. In CT i could have passed with my eyes closed. Probably literally!

I'd rather hurt a person by having them get their groceries delivered than have myself hurt by being thrown through my windshield in a bloody mess and perminently handicapped because I didn't want to test an elderly person's ability to drive safely because it could hurt their feelings. :rolleyes:

are you going to pay for their groceries to be delivered? you personally? every old person in the country that is wrongfully take off the road because of this?

cos I've had enough of paying for stripping people of their freedoms and privileges for the "greater good."

I'm not talking about the people who dont drive safely.. theres very few people that actually fit this mold yet there are MILLIONS who would be affected by this kind of thing.

you have to stop this mentality of surrendering the individual for the collective. We're not borg..

are you going to pay for their groceries to be delivered? you personally? every old person in the country that is wrongfully take off the road because of this?

cos I've had enough of paying for stripping people of their freedoms and privileges for the "greater good."

I'm not talking about the people who dont drive safely.. theres very few people that actually fit this mold yet there are MILLIONS who would be affected by this kind of thing.

you have to stop this mentality of surrendering the individual for the collective. We're not borg..

Tests have pass/fail criteria. Just like originally getting your license.

If you can't pass a driver's test, why do you deserve to have a license again? Remember the whole "driving is a privilege, not a right" thing?

I've never agreed with that statement. How can our govt tell us that usage or operation of a specific item is a "privilege" that they allow us to entertain? I seem to have missed the part where we are owned by our govt and they can turn on and off our lives at will.

and your pass/fail criteria will still wrongfully fail a huge amount of people and force them unjustly into dire straits. (yes the 80s rock band.. )

and your pass/fail criteria will still wrongfully fail a huge amount of people and force them unjustly into dire straits. (yes the 80s rock band.. )

And with any test, it will wrongfully pass a huge amount of people. No system is bullet-proof. But this topic has nothing to do with the nature of administering tests.

Fact of the matter is, if any person is unable to drive safely, they shouldn't be driving and risking the lives of every other person they encounter on the road.

Because it is a fact of life that as a person ages, their faculties degrade, once an old person cannot properly hear horns, gauge distances, see people/cars/bikes, they shouldn't be driving. Period.

I can't even understand how you could argue that. :lol:

maybe you werent brought up around as many older people as I was.

or dont have any parents that are up in age and realize how it would impact them to take away their licenses just because of their age.

not to mention burden them with having to remember a schedule and make appointments to take this test.

maybe you werent brought up around as many older people as I was.

or dont have any parents that are up in age and realize how it would impact them to take away their licenses just because of their age.

not to mention burden them with having to remember a schedule and make appointments to take this test.

They have to inspect their cars every two years, no? They can do it same time as the car then. It's not that hard.

Plus, no one ever said they would take the license away because of age. They would have to take a test. If they can't pass the test, they shouldn't be driving. Their convienence is not worth someone's life.

no, they dont. not where I used to live.

here all they do is check for a CEL.. but thats just revenue collection.

driving is not a convenience.. maybe in the big city where you live where you can walk or take a bus everywhere it is.. but here.. if you cant drive.. you aren't going anywhere.

Archived