LegacyGT.com

Old Man crashes 4 times on test drive

StoplightAssassin

Its a joke here in the US. Pay $25-50 bucks, take a written test about road signs, take a 5 minute drive test with a proctor that is highly scripted for the 4 block drive, then pose. Here in WA you can renew your license online. Pay 25 bucks via credit card, enter in your current drivers license # and answer a couple questions like, "Has your vision changed since your last renewal?" Comes in the mail about a week later.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the driving test has nothing to do with old people crashing their cars by mistaking the pedals.

most people by the time they get to that point have usually stopped driving on their own unless they HAVE TO for some reason.

a "license" is a govt permission to operate your vehicle. I oppose any kind of govt "permission" by nature. They do not own us and have no right to control us, regardless of the reason.

the way many of you are talking you want federal licenses because surely you realize that licenses and test procedures are mostly done by the state and I've even seen it differ from city to city. I can agree that the test is not as good as it should be, the driving test should be much longer. GA has enacted a law that after you get your learners you must wait a year and a day before taking the test for the license. I beleive you also have to be 16 or 17 before you can get the license, which really is too young but many of these kids have jobs so its understandable why they leave it at this age.

my driving test was a bit too simple.. I had been driving more than a year and a day. I played chauffeur for my parents and drove every time we left the house as a group, so I was pretty much already used to driving by the time I took the test. The driving test I took was backing up a long distance, backing into a parking space, paralllel parking, and a quick run around a city block.. where the guy lied to me about the speed limit then deducted 10 points for "accelerating too hard." jerk..

I think they should have an actual course and a drive with traffic. some states or even cities may have that. I know when I was 16 I would not have wanted to take a test in downtown atlanta or on any interstate. At that time I never went on the interstate and stayed local to the areas I was familiar with. It was much later when I started going to college that I really started to venture out.

you can renew your license online here too. I think thats probably fine during your teens to mid 30s, but at least you need to go in for an updated picture after that. If is going to be an ID it should be accurate.

updating the picture would be an easy enough method to get people to come in. I dont think we should have to "retest" old people or take their licenses away because of age.. I just think thats terribly irresponsible and disrespectful of our elders to discard them like that.. but if grandma comes in in a walker to get her picture updated, she does poorly on the vision test, and when running her license you see she has speeding tickets upwards of 80mph.. she probably at least needs some questioning to see if its safe..

there are other ways to keep the roads safe from the few old people that are going to stomp on the gas thinking its the brake and then refuse to remove their foot from it other than penalizing the whole state or country with meddlesome laws.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

the driving test has nothing to do with old people crashing their cars by mistaking the pedals.

you're killing me here :lol: the guy was 61 y/o for gods sake not 81 or 91 y/o

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived