LegacyGT.com

I think my clutch is almost dead...

rnstein69

yeah, I should go easy on it for the first 500 to 1000 miles, right? I am already in that grove right now from the way that I am babying my clutch lol..

I have an autocross event coming up on June 14th, I have to double check the date. If I put 500 easy miles on it by then do you think I can do a few harder launches? Or should I play it safe and still go easy on it and pass this event up?

Others can speak better to that question than me. But that's a month away, I assume you'll be able to pack 1000 miles on it by then.....

June 14th is a week and a half away lol...

Yeah, I almost fell into that trap. The summer just got here and it is flying by already!!

.... If I went to Subaru I would know for sure that it would be done 100% correctly.

No offense, but in general believing that would be your first mistake ... if you had taken it to anyone other than Fred Beans. Great choice!!

No offense, but in general believing that would be your first mistake ... if you had taken it to anyone other than Fred Beans. Great choice!!

Why would you say that? did you have a bad experience at FredBeans?

I said that because I am assuming that a Subaru dealership has done this same clutch job hundereds of times and would know the pitfalls of this specific job. I am not saying that a "generic" garage would not be able to do it; Just that this is all that a Subaru dealer would do, is work on Subarus.

Oops, thought you said July 14th :)

The ACT clutch (or you can call ACT) should be able to provide you with guidance. I'm guessing you could pull a swift 3000-4000 rpm launch with a quick liftoff (not drop) without glazing it, after 400-500 miles, but that's just my guess.

Joe

No, no, no .... only great experiences with them, specifically their parts dept (Jeremy) and I've read and heard great things with their service as well!

However in general if one assumes that by taking the car to a dealer for service that the service will be 100% correct, they are likely to be very dissapointed and out significant change.

No, no, no .... only great experiences with them, specifically their parts dept (Jeremy) and I've read and heard great things with their service as well!

However in general if one assumes that by taking the car to a dealer for service that the service will be 100% correct, they are likely to be very dissapointed and out significant change.

Oh, Ok, It was actually Jeremy who called me back regarding scheduling an earlier appointment and he was very helpful in answering all of my questions. And like I mentioned before, thier prices seem to be very competitive with even the local garages that will work on just about anything.

I was going to go to a closer dealership (Rafferty Subaru) but thankfully Joe steered me away. I have only heard good things about FredBeans on this site, and from local people that I talk to.

Well, I dropped my car off this morning at FredBeans. The Lady before me had to rent a car also and she ended up with the last WRX, that means I got stuck with the ford focus :rolleyes:

Anyway, I guess I will see tonight how it all went. I read on ACT's site that they recommend about 300 miles of easy driving on the clutch to break it in. I guess I will just continue babying it for the rest of this week and next.

So I got a call from the Service manager and it turns out that my car falls into one of the recall categories, it is actually documented here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55332&highlight=ECM+recall

So I need a new ECM which is covered. I asked out of curiosity how much that goes for if I had to pay for it myself, and it is a $1500 item. The strange thing is that while the ECM is on order my car has to stay at thier facility, so I am stuck with this ford focus until Monday or Tuesday. And they need my spare key fob and key to reprogram with the new ECM, so I am having that express mailed to me from NY. Oh, and they are nice enough to cover my car rental charges, so I am happy about that.

A few other things I am having done, well, here is the entire list:

ACT HD clutch

06 wrx flywheel

Coolant flush/change - about $50

Drive Belts $130 installed

Spark Plugs $189 installed

Cobb shifter bushing $30 installed

So the total is up to $1738.42. Not too bad.

So I just picked my car up from FredBeans this morning. The clutch definitely feels Heavy Duty, that is for sure lol... I was a bit suprised, I "bucked" the car a little since I have been use to such a soft clutch, but I think I am used to it already. It does feel more agressive and much more responsive, there is a much smaller "gray" area between fully engaged and disengaged.

I have to take it easy for the first 500 miles, so then I will have a bit of fun with it.

As I mentioned, they replaced my ECM which was under warranty and was a recall for the radiator fans, I had my spark plugs changed, and radiator fluid changed, she runs like a champ!!

Oh, and the mechanic who worked on my car also noticed that one of my rear bearings is starting to go; it still has some life in it, but should be replaced soon. They said this is covered under a recall also, and is also covered under my warranty as well, so I am going to go back and have that replaced in a few weeks.

So, I have had a great experience at FredBeans. I feel that it was worth the extra 25 mile drive to go there, since they really have no problem working on modified cars and would still cover a modified car under warranty and recalls. Great customer service as well.

Awesome. Looking forward to hearing how you like it once a few hundred miles are on it.

I've only ever replaced a clutch on one car (I haven't kept my cars long). I'll never forget stalling it right after putting a new clutch in cause it grabbed hard.

I think I saw your cat at Beans over the weekend. Blue, slammed, big wheels, black Brembos on all 4. That you? If it is, I asked Jeremy "What's that badass Legacy here for?" and he said clutch and ECU. Now it all seems to come together.

I think I saw your cat at Beans over the weekend. Blue, slammed, big wheels, black Brembos on all 4. That you? If it is, I asked Jeremy "What's that badass Legacy here for?" and he said clutch and ECU. Now it all seems to come together.

yep, thats mine!!

wheels are cheapo ASA 17's just to clear the brembos. I have Volks on the way.

It's too bad you live in NY on the weekend. About a month from now there's a Legacy meet going on about 15 minutes away from Beans.

I don't go up to NY every weekend, but the next 2 weekends I will be. I will probably be around a few weekends after that.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey rnstein69 - I am in the same bot as you with my clutch and I was hoping we could connect sometime in the next week or 2 for a quick look. I can come to you in Malvern or we could meet somewhere. Drop me a line or give a ring - check your PM. Thanks man.

Archived